Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:15 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
Reb makes two good points here. Both irritate me, but they're good points.
Thanks...I think, MTC! LOL And me emphasize I enjoy a good exchange of opinions -- and don't take it personal -- especially in terms of regionalism and such! So here we goooo!

Quote:
When I first moved to San Antonio from Pennsylvania, I was in a bank opening up a safe depo box...while waiting a guy from Boston was there closing his out (getting ready to move "back"). I told him how thankful I was to be out of the rudeness of the east coast, and happy to be moving to a place where people are nice. He rolled his eyes and proceeded to tell me about what he and his wife called the "Texas Attitude." I can now recognize it a mile away.
*grins a bit* That is interesting in and of itself (although I thought your initial reply was good! ) I mean, here are two transplants from the NorthEast, of CHOICE now living in Texas "recognizing" that Texans might have a different attitudes and ways of thinking and culture and all that good stuff than existed in the region voluntarily left But yet? Seem to have come to a mutual agreement that it lacks in comparrison?

I am not sure what is so shocking and revealing about that...but then again, I am a Texan...

Quote:
Reb displays it almost perfectly in this post.
I sure as heck hope so!

Quote:
The idea that YOU have to assimilate to THEIR way of thinking or be labeled an outcast or malcontent.
I am sorry, and mean no personal disrespect, but I am almost LMAO. And it reflects perfectly what I said earlier about why there exists an often negative generalization about northern transplants to Texas and the South at large.

I mean, to address your point, what IS the ALTERNATIVE? That WE should adapt to YOUR (third person sense) way of thinking? Or change OUR culture to fit something that apparently, assuming by default, YOU ALL fled? This sure seems to be the unspoken implication. Far as THAT goes though, we in Texas pretty much adopt the attitude of live and let live. It is real easy, when it comes right down to it. See Rule 1. You dont have to change anything...just don't rub it our faces.

Quote:
If you're a died-in-the-wool northerner (yankee) like me (my great grandparents fought on the RIGHT side)...you'll probably have trouble with people like this.
LOL again. I happen to be a history buff, and will argue the War Between the States til Doomsday. BUT, that is for a different time and place and there are history threads for that. Just to mention briefly though...it is, I think, a fact (as clear as facts can exist in the study of history) that while we Southerners have read the northern side of the War...VERY few northerners have read the Southern side. And, are often very taken aback when they hear, with proof positive, it was NOT all about slavery. But again, that is another issue for another time. Suffice to say, MY people were on the right side (and never owned a slave).

Quote:
However, there is a progressive set in San Antonio too. I'm always talking about better ways to do things...most people from Texas never leave Texas and need to be exposed to the great (and not so great) way things are done in the mid-atlantic states.
I love that observation. Most people in Texas never leave Texas?? You say that in a very condecending way. BUT...YOU left YOUR home state to COME to Texas??? Doesn't something strike you as just a bit askew here?

Be that as it may though, exactly what "progressive" things do we Texans need to be exposed to? Before you enlighten us though, please define exactly what "'progressive" means in terms of this advise...

Did it ever just perhaps occur that what passes for "progressive" in certain other parts of the country are exactly WHY we Texans prefer NOT to leave? Just a thought, of course!

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-22-2008 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:54 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Another problem they (the Nebraska bunch) had was the access roads. They had a hard time entering and exiting the freeway because they were so sure that the vehicles in the surrounding lanes were going to hit them...
Those absolutely freak me out! Who's supposed to yield, if anybody... it's not really a standard thing from one road to the next! I-10 / 1604 interchange drove me nuts too because it doesn't look like people know how to handle a zipper flow. The I-405 / State Route 167 interchange in Renton is almost exactly the same thing and it doesn't screw people up here.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Default Add to last post

Just in case I came across too harshly, MTC, in my last post, let me assure that I didn't mean it that way per se.

Yes, I am an unaplogetic, un-recontructed, native Texan and Southerner and DO tend to get -- shall we say? -- a little irritated when it comes to certain attitudes on the part of northern transplants.

At the same time though, in going over your post again, I realize that perhaps I was a bit hasty in the way I replied. I stand by the basic premises without qualm or qualification...but I DO apologize if I misunderstood some of what you were trying to say.

Last edited by TexasReb; 04-22-2008 at 02:55 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 02:37 PM

19 posts, read 68,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaba22 View Post
I want to move to San Antonio because I hear the folks are so friendly. I was advisd that because of my NY accent it may be a bit difficult being accepted because of the fact that I am a Yankee and the Texans don't accept us very well. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?
Moved from upstate 9 years ago and never had a problem ... tried NC and came running back!!
I personally think they have the south mixed up. Although TX is deep south the rednecks are more north!!!

Old 04-22-2008, 03:15 PM

164 posts, read 555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just in case I came across too harshly, MTC, in my last post, let me assure that I didn't mean it that way per se.

Yes, I am an unaplogetic, un-recontructed, native Texan and Southerner and DO tend to get -- shall we say? -- a little irritated when it comes to certain attitudes on the part of northern transplants.

At the same time though, in going over your post again, I realize that perhaps I was a bit hasty in the way I replied. I stand by the basic premises without qualm or qualification...but I DO apologize if I misunderstood some of what you were trying to say.
No problem. I do love the pride that Texans have in their state/culture etc...I think it's very warranted.

I'm definitely guilty of many of the attitudes you spoke of in your original post. Over the 7 years I've lived here I've become more and more accepting of the tennants of Texas culture - but I've still got a long way to go.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,871 times
Ha ha!

In high school I had a friend that had moved here from Arkansas (she used to live in Maryland as well), and after we met one of the first things I remember her saying to me, in her accent, was "I can't wait till I pick up on y'all's accent down here!" I said, "what do you mean? What accent?" She goes, "I don't know.... It sounds kind of like a southern, hispanic, western mix. It's really awesome."

Point of the story is.... I don't know. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, everyone and every region is different, but as long as we accept each other for our differences, we can get along just fine.

I find San Antonio to be one of the friendliest, most acceptant communities of the world. Like Paka said earlier- "we don't care what color you are, what accent you have, or how much (or little) hair...as long as you are a decent person"

Old 04-23-2008, 07:00 AM

554 posts, read 2,307,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post

If you're a died-in-the-wool northerner (yankee) like me (my great grandparents fought on the RIGHT side)...you'll probably have trouble with people like this. However, there is a progressive set in San Antonio too.
And, if you're a died-in-the-wool Texan, like me (my great great great grandfather fought on the RIGHT side too...with Sam Houston...) you might have trouble with people who don't have a level of respect for Texas History and our connection to our past.

That being said...I consider myself quite progressive - I've traveled a lot, lived in places outside of Texas...my husband's not from TX...but that being progressive does not mean that I don't have a respect for my state's history.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:12 PM

26 posts, read 71,197 times
What about Jacksonville Fl. WHich would you choose if you had a choice. Is san antonio a better place to live or Jacksonville fl.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shell4655 View Post
What about Jacksonville Fl. WHich would you choose if you had a choice. Is san antonio a better place to live or Jacksonville fl.

Depends on what you're looking for. Too broad a question.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 PM

26 posts, read 71,197 times
iS JACKSONVILLE A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE THAN SAN aNTONIO? WEATHER WISE, ECONOMY WISE, PEOPLE WISE, SHOPPING WISE? i HEARD THERE ARE TOO MANY REDNECKS IN TEXAS AND THEY DON'T LIKE OUTSIDERS. jACKSONVILLE MAY BE VERY MUCH LIKE THE SOUTH SINCE ITS CLOSE TO GEORGIA. i AM NOT SURE CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio