Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:12 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,048,425 times

Advertisements

I just couldn't believe that Austin's airport has more depatures and more passenger than San Antonio's airport. What is SA doing wrong ? First the skyscrapers and now the airport. Looks like SA main competitors is just sitting60 miles up on IH35
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 09:13 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,021,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
I just couldn't believe that Austin's airport has more depatures and more passenger than San Antonio's airport. What is SA doing wrong ? First the skyscrapers and now the airport. Looks like SA main competitors is just sitting60 miles up on IH35
No one wants to leave?

Old 04-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
Business travel has a lot to do with it. Businesspeople from all over the place must come to the state capital to do business with the state government. UT-Austin likely draws and generates plenty of air traffic on its own. Airlines love business travelers because they travel on short notice and pay premium fares compared to the leisure travelers San Antonio attracts.

For us San Antonians, it's good to have a comparable airport close by, because it helps with airfares and gives us another option to consider when looking for cheap fares. A couple of years back, my bro-in-law flew into Austin when he visited for the Alamo Bowl, because the fares were lower since other travelers had already bought the cheap seats on the flights to SA.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,424,653 times
So? What does having more flights have to do with anything? We're "doing something wrong" because we have less people traveling? Speaking as one that sat in La Guardia, O'Hare and SA International in the last week, I MUCH prefer having a low key, yet very functional airport.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:21 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,177,198 times
I wouldn't say we're doing anything wrong. SAT is undergoing an expansion right now. Once that's done, passenger traffic should increase accordingly.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:32 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,788,317 times
I heard that they're knocking down the smaller terminal soon... I just passed through the place on a househunting trip last week. Too bad, as it really gives the main airport in Slovakia a real run for the money.

Looking at prices, it costs a bit less to fly in to Austin. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:08 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,792 times
It's not that SAT is doing anything wrong, but simply that they're in a holding pattern with the city dragging their heels on construction progress.

SAT was initially supposed to be done by 2009, but has now been pushed all the way into 2012. They plan to tear down what is now Terminal 2, build a whole new glass-designed terminal and connect the two using a skybridge, all while re-designing the drop-off/pick-up areas.

They're also adding two new runway systems that will easily handle widebody traffic, making SAT a more viable option for commercial international flights. For the time being, it's rare to see widebody landings (save for FedEx or UPS) as the runways are JUST long enough to legally let them land. Most commercial airlines want more runway space for their jumbos as a precaution, so SAT is yet to be a real commodity for that kind of traffic.

The airport will pick-up: Spirit Airlines is a newbie for the city and many other new carriers will also make the move into SAT. Virgin America is already planning a move in the next year. Very exciting.

BN

Old 04-20-2008, 12:09 PM

I just can't get over San antonio attitude of "that will do or manana' attitude" when other smaller cities are leaving it in the dust.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:05 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
The problem is that San Antonio is too far south to ever be a major intersection for domestic travel.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The problem is that San Antonio is too far south to ever be a major intersection for domestic travel.
Think of Miami

Like it or not other cities are competing with SA. I have seen it so many other places that I have live. Our main compeitor is Austin. I can't see why the city leaders and the citizens don't wake up and see this. Airport departures is a tell tell sign of how aggressive a city is about going after business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio