Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 05:17 PM

173 posts, read 290,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedchef View Post
I read this: San Antonio Demographics

According to the most recent ACS, the racial composition of San Antonio was:

White: 80.52%
Black or African American: 6.93%
Other race: 6.03%
Asian: 2.84%
Two or more races: 2.82%
Native American: 0.75%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.10%

Huh?

Why are Hispanics now considered White?
The term Hispanic is considered an ethnicity, not a race. Hispanics can be of any race (and we’re often a mix of races) but most consider themselves to be White, if not “Other race”.

As to WHY we consider ourselves White, please brush up on historical texts on European colonization in the Americas.

Last edited by erickz623; 12-31-2019 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Adding additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 04:49 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,005,970 times
"Hispanics" have to choose between white, black, asian, native american, hawaiian or other.
There should be a mestizo racial category. I personally wouldn't want to check "other" either.
But that doesn't make them white. The vast majority are mestizo. Sure, some are white. I am technically a "hispanic" because I have an ancestor from Mexico. If I try to call myself hispanic in real life, people laugh in my face. The term doesn't really mean anything I don't think.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:55 AM

65 posts, read 68,679 times
Hispanic is Nixon era term that just meant “brown skin Spanish speaker” for all those people in the 70s that wanted to classify people they thought were too different.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:11 AM

65 posts, read 68,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Saw this on the City vs. City forum:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/city...w-housing.html
https://www.census.gov/construction/...t3yu201910.txt

Updated numbers (have to scroll to the right):
https://www.census.gov/construction/...hly_201911.xls

New privately-owned residential units through November (metro):

D/FW 59,392
Houston 57,184
Austin 29,479
San Antonio 14,904

The flip side of the growth 80 miles to the north is that keeping up with infrastructure could be a big issue there, and that a lot of residents are likely not too thrilled about it. (Just guessing, but one unit probably means more than two people on average, so they could be looking at more than 60k newcomers this year.) San Antonio’s growth rate is far more sustainable, in my opinion.
That’s not how growth works. Also, this is permitted units, not built, there’s a big difference.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:48 AM

2,326 posts, read 3,935,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmann View Post
That’s not how growth works. Also, this is permitted units, not built, there’s a big difference.
Thanks, made too many assumptions.

Last edited by shoe01; 02-04-2020 at 05:30 AM..

Old 02-04-2020, 08:31 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,834,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmann View Post
Hispanic is Nixon era term that just meant “brown skin Spanish speaker” for all those people in the 70s that wanted to classify people they thought were too different.
Factually, it was requested during the Nixon administration by members of a census committee seeking to have a better tracking system for people from Cuba, Spain, Brazil, Mexico, etc. Oh - that committee consisted of "Hispanics"......

Old 02-10-2020, 08:54 AM

47 posts, read 28,619 times
I can see San Antonio getting more hipsters since they complain that Austin is too pricey. This would be an easy place for a large hipster movement. Problem with that is the hipster movements usually bring on a mass IT industry that raises COL almost overnight.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:03 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I hope it does slow down. I know some people on here want to be "fastest growing city" for bragging rights but we need to slow down a bit.
Do people still really care about being "fastest growing" if their city is about to become 6th largest in America? I don't see what more you could want after that. San Antonio's already not the type of city that should be the country's 6th largest anyway way so at this point it's just kinda needless.

Nonetheless San Antonio will continue to keep growing pretty fast because of its huge land area, well over 400 square miles, while the city its about to pass to become 6th is just 135 square miles. Phoenix is even worse with land boundaries that make it even larger than Los Angeles, and that city being America's 5th largest is just plain weird because barely anyone's heard anything about it. It's just a mysterious hot city in the desert. At least San Antonio has the Alamo.

Another reason for population growth in cities such as Phoenix and San Antonio is the annexation of suburbs where dozens of thousands of people already live. This is why I think in those circumstances, say the city is growing very fast is somewhat misleading, because a lot of those people were already living in the immediate area, but everyone else assumes that all those people are moving there from out of state or something.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Factually, it was requested during the Nixon administration by members of a census committee seeking to have a better tracking system for people from Cuba, Spain, Brazil, Mexico, etc. Oh - that committee consisted of "Hispanics"......
People from Spain are white Europeans, I can't fathom why they would need a "new" racial category...
Also Brazil isn't Hispanic either

Old 04-19-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Do people still really care about being "fastest growing" if their city is about to become 6th largest in America? I don't see what more you could want after that. San Antonio's already not the type of city that should be the country's 6th largest anyway way so at this point it's just kinda needless.

Nonetheless San Antonio will continue to keep growing pretty fast because of its huge land area, well over 400 square miles, while the city its about to pass to become 6th is just 135 square miles. Phoenix is even worse with land boundaries that make it even larger than Los Angeles, and that city being America's 5th largest is just plain weird because barely anyone's heard anything about it. It's just a mysterious hot city in the desert. At least San Antonio has the Alamo.

Another reason for population growth in cities such as Phoenix and San Antonio is the annexation of suburbs where dozens of thousands of people already live. This is why I think in those circumstances, say the city is growing very fast is somewhat misleading, because a lot of those people were already living in the immediate area, but everyone else assumes that all those people are moving there from out of state or something.
https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...nty-metro.html
It's the whole county, not just San Antonio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio