Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 11:27 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl1 View Post
We just bought a David Weekley, got $34K off the price plus another $10K in realtor bonus that our family member realtor is giving us. Plus our relocation pays all closing costs, so we can apply the 1% origination fee they pay to lower our points on the interest rate.

So we are paying $91/sqft for our home.....granite, stone fireplace, flagstone exterior, 1/4 acre, etc..... We really did our homework (for the past 6 months) and told them what we wanted to pay and it was accepted. Of course we still wonder if we could have gone lower....but $91/sqft is a great price for the quality we are getting.
What neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I heard a radio commercial this morning which stated that Pulte is currently offering discounts of up to $40,000 on some of their new homes.
Those are inventory homes...not build to order homes. Nearly all the builders are giving huge incentives to purchase inventory homes...but not many are giving equally large incentives to order and build a home.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 AM

298 posts, read 945,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
What neighborhood?

The Preserve at Alamo Ranch. It is a relatively less expensive area to live in compared to North Central/I-10 corridor. The same size house in Rogers Ranch would have probably been $40-50K more, but we wanted to be less than 30 minutes to grandparents and Alamo Ranch is what appealed to us in that area.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 PM

90 posts, read 354,807 times
So when looking at base prices for houses. Its not neccessarily going to be more for upgrades you might get them included in the base price? Plus more money to keep??????

Old 04-22-2008, 12:28 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,534 times
I kind of think upgrades are analogous to when you get a good deal at Best Buy but only when you bundle a 2 year warranty, HD Digital Advantage, etc. Certainly things like outside appearance (elevation, brick design, etc.) and lot size are an investment, but a lot of the stuff inside seemed like fluff (except the kitchen). We bought spec so didn't have any choices; original buyer purchased a lot of upgrades, but they pulled out before SP did the tile so we have linoleum throughout, which is kind of a good thing because we plan to add ourselves along with travertine in the master bath, backsplash, mahogany front door, etc. We like planing all the things we will do as a sort of fun exercise.

Yes price per sq. foot is really good here relative to West Coast. Price per foot is really the only metric worth looking at objectively as the rest is smoke and mirrors. I'm at $60/sq foot., but boy do that get you with taxes, again (makes me wonder when SA will annex outside parts of 1604 in NW so we can share the love)... nothing compared to West Coast, but Cali is obscene...

I too remember Medallion telling us all the extras they provided as standard but I didn't fact check most of it so I don't know. But they were asking too much off Potranco, imo... and the HOA was twice as much as here. Plus they had already did crown and side moldings and we wanted to do that ourselves...

Last edited by tekka-maki; 04-22-2008 at 01:00 PM..

Old 04-22-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Certainly things like outside appearance (elevation, brick design, etc.) and lot size are an investment, but a lot of the stuff inside seemed like fluff (except the kitchen).
This is the approach we took when looking to build. Location, full four sides brick/stone, structural features like three car garage and large covered porch and the over all floor plan were a priority. Most interior upgrades are fluff - and often times over priced. These are things that can be done later without adding them to the mortgage and your sales price - which will affect your tax value. Saddly - many people want the fluff and give on the important things like elevation, brick and location to get grantite, stainless steel, crown moulding and oil rubbed bronze fixtures. If all the bones are right - elevation, brick, location, structural features - all the fluff can be added later on a cash only basis with a bigger return on your investment.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:55 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,534 times
Very true banker... I know you did your home work... maybe when my checkbook allows it, I'll be a neighbor. I think the biggest influence is location, and brick/stone is certainly an important consideration, but a lot of that depends on which part of the country you're in (think you mentioned that too). When I lived in the NW suburbs of Chicago... I saw some really nice custom homes and many of them had no brick at all, but beautiful... and no need for HOA as affluence leads to community conscience neighbors who are always striving to have a nice curb appeal.

I thought HOA was a scheme when I moved here... now I know I'll never live in SA without it.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Those are inventory homes...not build to order homes.
You say that like it's a bad thing. I got a terrific deal from the builder on my inventory home. Inventory homes can be a great option for those who are relocating and don't want to rent. As you said in post #16, amenities can be added later if the home doesn't have everything you were hoping for.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:44 PM

90 posts, read 354,807 times
We wont be our home more than 5 years probably, so should we care so much about all brick etc since this isnt our home forever? We need lots of space and not a huge price.... Thanks for all info.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
You say that like it's a bad thing. I got a terrific deal from the builder on my inventory home. Inventory homes can be a great option for those who are relocating and don't want to rent. As you said in post #16, amenities can be added later if the home doesn't have everything you were hoping for.
Not a bad thing...just highlighting the difference. Builders typically will not give the big incentives on built to ordered homes that they would on inventory homes that they need to get off their books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio