Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2008, 10:53 PM

51 posts, read 165,950 times

Advertisements

I want to grow my own veggies all winter long. Can anybody tell me which style is best? Would I be okay with buying a portable and placing it over my summer garden to keep it growing all winter long? Does it stay warm enough for that? Any guidance would be great!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 11:05 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
I've been thinking along the same lines myself. When I was young, we always had a greenhouse. I remember constructing them twice. We lived in Phoenix, and it was always so fun to go in there in the summer ~ the only place that felt so tropical and moist. (Now the humidity drives me crazy!! ) The one thing that I most remember is that although the tomatoes definitely tasted better than store bought, they always had a "greenhouse" taste (kinda plastic-y, the way a greenhouse smells). I need to pick my dad's brain on this. He constantly has a green house (as well as a HUGE outdoor garden) up and running. Sadly, I didn't inherit his green thumbs.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:28 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
I don't have a green house but I grow veggies all year long. In the winter I grow winter crops such as broccoli, cabbage, spinach, carrots etc. I would love to have a green house also but I don't have the room. In the winter you will have to heat your green house if the weather gets too cold and definitely ventilate it during most days. They make temperature activated ventilation systems. The type of heating can be very important I've heard. Some gas systems can allow for a buildup of unwanted gasses that could harm your plants. Plant diseases can also wipe out an entire green house very quickly. Disclaimer: The above green house information is all things that I have read about green house growing and not from actual experience since I have never owned one. I only mention it so you could perhaps do your own research before going to the expense of setting one up. One day when I have plenty of room I will definitely have one. Right now I envy you. Good luck and have fun.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:16 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,555,245 times
Ya know, everything my dad found out about greenhouses he learned from books he checked out from the library. (One of the great lessons from my dad ~ you can teach yourself anything you want to learn from going to the library. He also taught himself to be a goldsmith and how to start a business that way. He and my mom owned a jewelry business for over 20 years from that! But I digress, sorry. ) Anyway, just an encouragement, check the library for books on greenhouses. They're really beautiful to look at, as well!!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:21 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,949 times
Don't forget to check sites like Instructables - The World's Biggest DIY & How To Show & Tell for ideas too - that site always gets me into trouble...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio