U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 05:35 PM

1,515 posts, read 774,382 times

Advertisements

I just saw this fairly long (10 minute) video that puts the Coronavirus in perspective compared to other diseases in human history as well as other causes of human death. It was a very reasonable, well put together video with good graphs, graphics and a reasonable take of this whole thing. Worth watching if you have the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dDD2tHWWnU
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 06:00 PM

847 posts, read 2,124,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

They need to stop this, San Antonio shouldn't be a dumping ground.
but it has been for years. What was that hurricane, Katrina?

Old 03-08-2020, 06:25 PM

7,722 posts, read 4,542,454 times
FYI. They are flying people from the cruise ship off California to San Antonio

Old 03-08-2020, 07:22 PM

21,902 posts, read 10,070,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post

I wish they would id the exact planes being used. I doubt they are "cleaning" them adequately.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 PM

1,627 posts, read 2,239,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
So much for our mayor saying, "No More".

Old 03-08-2020, 10:33 PM

54,786 posts, read 76,425,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
He tried and lost in a court.
More bad news:
Roughly 90 Texans are among the passengers heading to Lackland Air Force Base from a ship that had 21 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Approximately 90 of those passengers are Texans, Gov. Greg Abbott's office said in a statement Sunday.
The base has already hosted hundreds of people for quarantine — and on Tuesday released more than 120 who had been previously evacuated from another cruise ship where the virus had been spreading.
Abbott's office said Sunday that the governor has spoken with Vice President Mike Pence about the latest evacuees.

U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, D-San Antonio, said "many of us have expressed serious concerns" over how to quarantine and treat infected patients.

"For example, we still do not have the testing kits we need to truly determine community spread," Castro tweeted.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03...d-san-antonio/

Last edited by elnina; 03-09-2020 at 01:29 PM..

Old 03-10-2020, 12:40 AM

3,981 posts, read 5,358,189 times
The 21 cases only represent a rather small percentage of the total population of the ship. Most of the people onboard have not been tested at all. I would hope that 100% of the passengers and crew will be tested before allowing anybody off that ship. Personally, I don't see why the San Antonio area should have to go through this again. The first time I thought it would only be a smaller number of people and later, with the first cruise ship, it was supposed to only be passengers who tested negative. Then they allowed others to come in spite of positive test results. I see now that the government isn't to be trusted about this. Then that incredibly stupid release of a patient who had been treated for Covid-19 for weeks, was released and taken to a large mall, then a positive test result caused the patient to be returned to the hospital. Between leadership in D.C, the base officials and the CDC, obviously none can be trusted to protect the public. We still don't know if anyone exposed to the patient while she was in S.A. will turn up positive on the virus. I don't blame the patient. I blame the people responsible for exposing the public to this.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:28 PM

6,563 posts, read 8,126,267 times
So UTSA decided to jump on the bandwagon of nationwide closures related to the virus...but this times it seems to be more for an extended spring break if you ask me.

Quote:
A petition to temporarily cancel in-person classes at the University of Texas at San Antonio has garnered over 3,700 signatures on change.org.

The petition expresses concern that 32,000 students will be returning to campus after spring break, and many students and faculty traveled during the break, creating the potential for exposure to coronavirus.

Given the number of students, the petition claims it would be impossible for the school to enforce the suggested self-quarantine.

"By keeping students and staffers off campus for 2 weeks after break, they can effectively quarantine themselves at home in the event that they start showing symptoms of the virus without fear of being penalized for missing classes or getting behind on work," the petition says.
Source: https://www.kens5.com/article/news/h...3-2e64eab61285

Old 03-11-2020, 04:38 PM

6,086 posts, read 6,469,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilGar View Post
One of the deltas that comes with being a military city, Federal govt trumps local govt.

As the majority of the passengers appear to be from California, Travis Air Force Base in Sacramento and Marine Corps Air Station Miramar here in San Diego appear to be getting the majority of the quarantined. The rest are going to Dobbins Air Force Base in Georgia and Lackland in good ole SA. As someone else pointed out, many were Texans so it makes sense to take them to the base closest to their home. As I understand it, people are being placed to the closest base to the origin of the cruise ship ticket purchase.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:49 PM

6,086 posts, read 6,469,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
So UTSA decided to jump on the bandwagon of nationwide closures related to the virus...but this times it seems to be more for an extended spring break if you ask me.
[/url]
Even if it does feel like places of work and universities may be overreacting, I think it is good practice for them to have their contingency plans ready and in place for this and other types of natural disasters.

If companies and schools have work/learn from home capabilities, why not implement plan b. If anything, its good practice for something more severe.

I thought this interactive dashboard/map about COVID-19 by John Hopkins University was super neat and thought I would share with the forum.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio