Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2020, 03:16 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Quarantined folks landed in San Antonio around 3 am this morning.

Their flight to the US wasn't much fun. Americans evacuated from a quarantined cruise ship get stuck on buses with no bathrooms and fly 10 hours in cargo planes.
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/17/h...ght/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 04:31 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,686 times
My wife works for the Army Futures Command. She is telling me that the set up in San Antonio is that it is one of three bases in the US equipped to handle these cases. She's handled anthrax cases, agent orange cases, left over and buried munitions cases. Plus more. I'll let you know when she is worried. If she's not worried yet, then I'm not.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:27 PM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Today from the CDC:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stepped up its call Tuesday for the public to start preparing for a possible pandemic outbreak in the U.S. of the coronavirus that’s infected more than 80,000 people killed at least 2,700 overseas in less than two months.

“We are asking the American public to work with us to prepare for the expectation that this could be bad,” a top CDC officials told reporters in a conference call outlining what schools and businesses will likely need to do if the COVID-19 virus starts to spread throughout the U.S.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/cdc-...-pandemic.html

Old 02-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Whats also interesting is when zooming to San Antonio in the John Hopkins Coronavirus map link:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

Shows an infected person on Commerce street. Thats a pretty populated area if accurate. Also, the infected at Lackland are not showing up on the map. They were a week or so ago but are no longer. It is not showing any "recoveries" for San Antonio so something seems wonky about that. Perhaps it just was not updated correctly.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:16 AM

1,038 posts, read 876,275 times
I was just in Asia for two weeks. Their media isn't blowing this as out of proportion as ours is.

Let's keep putting this into perspective: 60k+ people die every year just in the States alone from normal flu.

Be smart folks, but don't be convinced that the sky is falling. Use your brains.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:40 AM

Our government seems to have a good handle on this. No need to be alarmed, just reasonably prepared with reasonable practices that we should be doing everyday, Coronavirus or not. Businesses, schools and hospitals could also reasonably prepare now should something happen. Should something happen it would be wise to have a plan before hand. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. An informed public is a safer public and I'm glad the CDC is keeping us abreast but the media overall should turn down the volume a bit with their click bait worthy titles.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:03 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
I was just in Asia for two weeks. Their media isn't blowing this as out of proportion as ours is.

Let's keep putting this into perspective: 60k+ people die every year just in the States alone from normal flu.

Be smart folks, but don't be convinced that the sky is falling. Use your brains.

Maybe if their media had blown it up they would have taken morte steps to protect themselves and it wouldn't be spreading like wildfire there?

Just sayin', maybe better to prepare for the worst and be relieved that it peters out than to take the threat too lightly and be overwhelmed if it doesn't.

Comparing this CV to common flu is silly. Flu is an established seasonal virus for which we have a vaccine and treatment medications. This CV wasn't know a few months ago, there is so much we don't know about it regarding incubation and transmission, there is no vaccine or approved treatment medications. It isn't about the CV numbers now but what they could be in 6 months or so.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:10 AM

1,641 posts, read 2,410,244 times
Anyone remember the 2009 Pandemic?

ANYONE?

I certainly don't.

(H1N1pdm09 virus)

CDC Estimates:

60.8 MILLION CASES

274,304 HOSPITALIZATIONS

12, 469 DEATHS

These were ALL in the United States.

Remember now? I still don't.

Perhaps a complicit press and a media favorable to the president?

Old 03-01-2020, 07:46 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Coronavirus patient released in San Antonio later turned up positive.
Well, didn't they know that possible incubation time has been extended to 28+ days?

An evacuee from Wuhan, China, who had been in isolation at a San Antonio health facility was released over the weekend but then turned up positive for the coronavirus after having had contact with the public, possibly exposing them, the San Antonio Express-News has learned.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Sunday that the patient met the criteria for release, including two negative test results, and left the facility Saturday. That patient was later returned to isolation after a pending, subsequent lab test came up positive for the virus that causes COVID-19.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...n-15097374.php

Old 03-01-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Coronavirus patient released in San Antonio later turned up positive.
Well, didn't they know that possible incubation time has been extended to 28+ days?

An evacuee from Wuhan, China, who had been in isolation at a San Antonio health facility was released over the weekend but then turned up positive for the coronavirus after having had contact with the public, possibly exposing them, the San Antonio Express-News has learned.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Sunday that the patient met the criteria for release, including two negative test results, and left the facility Saturday. That patient was later returned to isolation after a pending, subsequent lab test came up positive for the virus that causes COVID-19.
https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...n-15097374.php
Well, there goes me eating crow for saying the government has a good handle on this. All those infected patients from the cruise line and elsewhere should have never been brought here - such a heavy populated location - in the first place. With a 1% - 2% fatality rate (much higher then the flu), this can get very ugly for me, my family and the locals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio