U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM

3,468 posts, read 5,723,146 times

Advertisements

Thanx for the link guyd78!!! That's EXACTLY my plan! Since I don't work outside the house, I just need something for short(ish) errands and that has space for one kid (since somebody always wants to tag along ). Our plan is to sell my dh's car and both get "bikes" ~ a scooter for me and a motorcycle for him (since he has a longer commute, on the highways and LOVES motorcycles). Then the van will only be used for family outings or when it's raining or whatever.

So see, manthechange, I'm not making "excuses" (and btw, I don't work/go to school at NVCC, was using it as an example ~ that's why I said "if"). But the old saying that you can catch more bugs with honey than vinegar is true! When folks feel that they're being berated for (fill in the blank for whatever environmental faux pas) they naturally get defensive. And when someone makes generalization/accusations that "everyone should!", it's counterproductive to the cause. If you really want to see "change", help them see how it could be done, rather than telling them that they're idiots for not already doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 AM

4,263 posts, read 7,046,412 times
You won't see Firstclassflyer on a bike (non motorized) anytime soon....especially when there's a First Class seat available. and my commute is either nothing or hundreds (sometimes thousands) of miles...one or the other.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:48 AM

164 posts, read 383,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
And when someone makes generalization/accusations that "everyone should!", it's counterproductive to the cause. If you really want to see "change", help them see how it could be done, rather than telling them that they're idiots for not already doing it.
Oh, come on! I did not say "everyone should" I said if you live 5 miles from work that I'd encourage you to do so. And I most certainly did not call anyone an idiot for not riding a bike!

Thanks for putting a negative spin on what was meant to be a positive post.

I think scooters are a good idea. Of course you're still using gas, and not getting any exercise...but it's better than the SUV.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:07 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,350,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd78 View Post
Riding a bike to work is a good idea - although not feasible for everybody. Before relocating to SA I rode a bike to work everyday. Now, unless I ride the shoulder of 281 which ain't happening, I gave up the bike for commuting.

Another idea is to purchase a scooter. Mine was $3,000 brand new. Yes they use gas, but it gets 70mpg and can reach speeds of 70+ with 2 people, which means I can maintain speed on any road in town. I take back roads when I can, and in a pinch I can take it on 281, 1604, 410, etc... I can ride to work every day and do my daily errands/downtown excursions all for $5.00 per week in gas. Downtown also has a place for scooters/motorcycles to park for free. Plus, I'm lessening my carbon footprint at the same time.

The money saved in gas makes the payment on the scooter in full and then some. That's money that I keep out of the hands of the oil companies, and the Earth is liking me for it.
When I lived in Thailand I had a 'motorbike' (bigger than a scooter, smaller than a motorcycle) for long trips or to pick up groceries (rode a bike for work). I loved it, but would not ride one here. Too many crazy people not looking out for them.

As for gas problems, since I drive a hybrid and get ~55mpg and have always minimized my trips as much as possible, I haven't felt the price increase so much directly. I do tend to walk as much as possible though, even though people clearly think I'm a freak for doing so.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:23 AM

7,759 posts, read 6,529,418 times
With all this talk of bike-riding, I am now thinking of taking a break and getting a quick 30 miles in for lunch.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:39 AM

152 posts, read 256,379 times
[quote=Chaka;3560169]
As for gas problems, since I drive a hybrid and get ~55mpg and have always minimized my trips as much as possible, I haven't felt the price increase so much directly.quote]

That's a good option too. My only problem was the cost involved with buying a hybrid (and future maintenance) which was too much for me to feel comfortable doing. A $3,000 scooter getting 70mpg was much more attractive - in my case.

Each has it's pros and cons, but the point is action was taken. If everyone would take the initiative to do something instead of just talking about it the world would be much better off.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,350,183 times
[quote=guyd78;3560564]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
As for gas problems, since I drive a hybrid and get ~55mpg and have always minimized my trips as much as possible, I haven't felt the price increase so much directly.quote]

That's a good option too. My only problem was the cost involved with buying a hybrid (and future maintenance) which was too much for me to feel comfortable doing. A $3,000 scooter getting 70mpg was much more attractive - in my case.
Yeah, it was an additional ~$6K from a non-hybrid new model (Honda Civic), and probably more if you figure I would not have bought a brand new car otherwise. However my old car was on its deathbed, and when hybrids first came out ~2000, I promised myself when I had to buy another car, it'd be a hybrid. Fortunately at the time it became a requirement to replace the old car, I was starting a new job

I find maintenance to be no more than on my old car. Since I was going to have a kid, I needed a car rather than a scooter.

Be wary of some of the hybrids out there though - some of the luxury ones aren't really a whole lot better than non-hybrid fuel efficient compact cars. a good site is www.hybridcar.com

btw - don't buy a hybrid JUST for gas savings. While right now it might pay off over time given the high gas prices, if you're looking at solely a cost-benefit analysis of $$$ it likely won't come out to be much of an advantage, given the additional cost. However, the cost-benefit analysis of the environment impact savings is significant (not just in fuel usage but in emissions and other aspects).

I do love only spending ~$35/month on gas though.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:25 PM

361 posts, read 573,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
Well, since none of our political leaders in Washington (or locally for that matter) seem to be willing to encourage you to do so...I'm going to.

With gas prices going up (higher, higher!), and earth day behind us, I want to encourage all of you who live less than 5 miles from your workplace to ride a bike to work. You'll feel better, and probably look better after a while as well.

San Antonio is a fantastic city to ride a bike in (despite what people will tell you), we've got the right weather...and our drivers are much more friendly than other places.

Finding a cheap bike is easy on craigslist (my bet is that most of you 40+ have one rotting away in your garage).

And...if you wear "dress-up" clothes to your job, it's perfectly acceptable to wear a suit with a bike, check out what GQ columnist Scott Schuman says about it on his blog:

The Sartorialist - scroll down to see the nifty pictures, show off that suit on your commute!

and, here's another great resource if you're thinking about biking to work:

Commute by Bike | Tips, Hints, Reviews and Safety for Bike Commuters

Do it!

OK I'll do it while wearing my 3-piece suit to work on a hot summer day. I'll be covered in sweat and won't be allowed through the door to work but hey it's good for the environment.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 PM

13,805 posts, read 18,828,049 times
Posting this here because it's fitting

Dutch cyclists want air bags on outside of cars | Lifestyle | Reuters

in more ways than one..

Old 04-24-2008, 04:26 PM

1,805 posts, read 3,300,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
Ok, last response. God, this is the reason I really need to get out of this city. Look at these responses! Everybody's got an excuse not to participate!

Is there no way to get to Northwest Vista from your home without taking 1604? If not, ok...don't ride.

Also, I'm not racing to work everyday, so no, I don't get that sweaty (I work at Trinity by the way). And, if you check that GQ post, you'll notice that people in Italy (also has a warm climate) ride all the time in suits.
I've been in Italy in the summertime and trust me, it seems like tne North Pole compared to SA in the summertime....
I would venture a guess that there would be a lot of heat stroke victims.... seriously....
Also, I know personally some of the folks you're posting with here and they are genuine in their desire to conserve and to 'go green'.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio