Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times

Advertisements

Didn't say that. I said employers aren't obligated to provide showers. Has nothing to do with me. But thanks for making up your own version of what I said. I have no problem if the city adds bike lanes and people use them. More power to ya.
We've been under a drought and have had water restrictions so that's the reason I brought up water usage. Ever walk across a lake that's been dried up? I have, back in Atlanta last summer. Literally. So, no I don't think every employer should have showers to satisfy your needs when to me having water is a priority.
Also, no need for perverts to move to SA, I'm sure every city has them already. It would just create the potential for things to go wrong. Every employer thinks liability issue. They are not concerned with if you get to work by bike or car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
I'll add more ho how "biking" advocate things.

The more people we get walking and biking, the less money we will be spending in healthcare, pollution, car accidents / ems service. We might not even have to pay for School Buses anymore. Have our kids, ride their bike to school.
Only if they start giving the death sentence to sex offenders! As it is now, they convict them, jailed them for a period of time, turn them back out into the public to do it again.Oh yes, I forgot, you can go and look up to see where they are living, so hey, that makes it alright. Yeah buddy, so long as you know that's a sex offender living next door to you so you can be extra cautious with your children and be one the alert always, uh huh!

It is a crying shame our kids can't walk or ride their bikes around everywhere because of the deviants living amongst us and a bigger shame that we don't do something about it.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,539,372 times
ah yes, but those offenders will be clean because they will have showers at work

Seriously I agree lonestar. There are many parents who rely on the school bus to get their kids to school safely so they can get to work.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:39 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
I'll use this bike thread to ask a question about bicyclists. I was going to Lackland today and there was a bicyclist in the left lane of Military between the WHMC gate and the main gate. I've never seen a bicyclist in the left lane and am pretty sure it's not legal. There was absolutely no room for him there and I'm wondering how far he made it down the road. He did have a very bright red shirt on, though, and that's how I noticed him.
oh yeah, the question is can bicyclists legally drive in the left lane of a divided road? there was only the car lane and a cement divider.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:14 PM

164 posts, read 555,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'll use this bike thread to ask a question about bicyclists. I was going to Lackland today and there was a bicyclist in the left lane of Military between the WHMC gate and the main gate. I've never seen a bicyclist in the left lane and am pretty sure it's not legal. There was absolutely no room for him there and I'm wondering how far he made it down the road. He did have a very bright red shirt on, though, and that's how I noticed him.
oh yeah, the question is can bicyclists legally drive in the left lane of a divided road? there was only the car lane and a cement divider.
Cyclists must follow the same pattern (and rules) as general traffic. So, no, what he was doing was not legal. It should also be noted that a cyclist can enter your lane of traffic if something is blocking the side of the road/no birm exists.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:22 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,383,829 times
thanks. I'm always careful around them, but found this guy to be a little arrogant and not exactly bright.
I wish there was a nice straight bike path from my house to work, but there's no way I'm going down 1604/90 or 151 on a bicycle. It's bad enough in a car.. we do have plenty of showers though

Old 07-21-2008, 03:23 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Mind if I cut in?

Biking is good, biking is fun, biking is economical to the biker who isn't paying gas. Biking is good exercise. Biking makes good sense if you have a bike lane to ride in, a safe route to work and the facilities to courteously wash up BEFORE you even start work and not smoke out your co-workers. Biking takes planning....and it also takes LONGER to commute....depending on where you work.

Biking is bad because our city forefathers didn't have a crystal ball to know where everyone was going to live and work....so they were brainless and just didn't add "bike lanes" for those "maybe one day we'll need bike" routes.

The bottom line is MONEY. If you have not lived in this city more than 8 years, you have not witnessed the unprecedented growth this city has undergone with the influx of people wanting a whole lot of something for a little bit of nothing. In case that needs to be explained....many people have accepted jobs here because the cost of living is cheap, real estate is cheap,
it's a pleasant place to live and raise a family. The development has created HAVOC in just about every area of growth in this city/county. Road construction, over crowded schools, medical/hospital demands, city services, EMS services and over burdened Fire Departments. Everything your tax dollar pays for is being pushed to the limit to EXPAND. So.....where do you think "Bike lanes" fall on that list?

It's not that biking wouldn't be a nice alternative for SOME, but pushing this idea down the throats of local residents is a pretty LOW priority when some can't sell their homes in this quasi recession....are living paycheck to paycheck, can't afford the gas increases, the increased cost of living.....let alone the cost of a new bike and figuring out if it's even feasible to ride a bike 20 miles to work and back.

It's all good in theory....if a bicycle enthusiast moved here, planned on living close to work, and mapped out a route and used it efficiently. THAT is the way successful bike commuting works.

Right now, the best most people can do is ride share, take VIA or extend their hours to longer days and a shorter workweek.....and/or sell their gas guzzler for something green.

Child safety and biking to school is a whole OTHER thread.....and that involves school district lines, busing routes and major thoroughfares that would be a logistical nightmare to sort out on a public forum.

My personal opinion, is that we're all grown ups here (hopefully), and we can each pretty much make up our minds whats gonna work for us individually and what isn't..... given our current circumstances.

As my standard answer goes.....for all these great ideas....start somewhere...put it on paper, do research and bring successful models to the table, get supporters AFTER you've done your homework and then present it to city council. If they say no....then don't give up if it means that much to you. Keep refining that idea....change it up a bit....start with a "starter" project and grow from there. There's no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater here.

Good luck and keep on peddling!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,362,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
I'll add more ho how "biking" advocate things.

The more people we get walking and biking, the less money we will be spending in healthcare, pollution, car accidents / ems service. We might not even have to pay for School Buses anymore. Have our kids, ride their bike to school.
Let me guess.....you don't have young children???

Old 07-22-2008, 10:02 AM

418 posts, read 1,239,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Let me guess.....you don't have young children???
No, but when I do have children, I want them to be able to safely ride their bicycles and be independent as early as possible.

From 3rd grade till I could drive in high school, I either walked or took bike paths to school. At most I crossed two streets. It is a very feasible concept, especially in a Booming city where new roads and developments are being layed down everyday. (stone oak park is getting close to that concept)

Safety may be an issue. Some people have children walk in packs, or ride their bike to school together. Children can be quite smart if you let them be. I doubt there is much childhood development occurring in the back of a mini-van or a school bus.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:09 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
I remember when I was a kid. We all rode everywhere. You could tell me from a mile away. I was the kid with the french horn case strapped to the rear rack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio