U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:20 AM

418 posts, read 822,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Every employer thinks liability issue. They are not concerned with if you get to work by bike or car.
Yes, and their greatest liability is health care costs. They are doing everything they can to lower health care costs.

Do you think businesses next to paths and offer showers are going to attract people that are higher cost or lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 10:29 AM

4,794 posts, read 9,872,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
No, but when I do have children, I want them to be able to safely ride their bicycles and be independent as early as possible.

From 3rd grade till I could drive in high school, I either walked or took bike paths to school. At most I crossed two streets. It is a very feasible concept, especially in a Booming city where new roads and developments are being layed down everyday. (stone oak park is getting close to that concept)

Safety may be an issue. Some people have children walk in packs, or ride their bike to school together. Children can be quite smart if you let them be. I doubt there is much childhood development occurring in the back of a mini-van or a school bus.

Well.....I don't disagree with you re kids walking to schools....but there are just to many variables about safety when it comes to little kiddos. Just FYI....the majority of elementary schools have a two mile radius from the school in which children can ride a bus to school. Inside that two mile boundary, kids either HAVE to walk, bike or carpool to get to school. When my kids were younger, we just happened to be just INSIDE that two mile limit. The kids across the street could ride the bus...while mine could not. The problem was my son had to find a safe route to walk or ride his bike, which actually made his trip about 4.5 miles to school to avoid crossing wide busy intersections, walking along a freeway.....not to mention finding other parents that would consider allowing their child to do the same. As the over protective parent I was/am....I wanted to be SURE my child was not injured, late, kidnapped, molested or afraid in anyway....so we carpooled. My daughter went to another school....in the opposite direction and was 5 miles from her school. Biking or walking was not an option before she started driving.....so the bus it was!

My point is that you're over simplifying this when you actually haven't experienced or know the limitations and complications of logistics for children commuting to school. If children have not been made a priority, then bike lanes to commute to work isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
When you are a parent, hopefully you'll be lucky enough to find a house next door to an elementary school and you'll be worry free. Reality doesn't always play out that way.

In the mean time.....encouraging bicycling is an OK thing....but most people are responsible and smart enough to weigh the pros and cons to decide for themselves. We all have our priorities that we're facing....and just because people are not jumping on the bandwagon, doesn't mean they don't care. They may be in the middle of a divorce, or have a relative dying of cancer, or a child with asthma....things in life that just are a bit more important to them personally.

My wish is that we could all live in that "Walgreen" commercial and have no crime, or heat, or time limits or body oder to mess things up!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:35 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,637,817 times
Well said Wcat on all counts.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:39 AM

109 posts, read 283,793 times
When I was in kindergarten (Montgomery Elementary in THE GLEN), I walked home almost everyday.

Times are much different now.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:44 AM

7,726 posts, read 6,278,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Well.....I don't disagree with you re kids walking to schools....but there are just to many variables about safety when it comes to little kiddos. Just FYI....the majority of elementary schools have a two mile radius from the school in which children can ride a bus to school. Inside that two mile boundary, kids either HAVE to walk, bike or carpool to get to school. When my kids were younger, we just happened to be just INSIDE that two mile limit. The kids across the street could ride the bus...while mine could not. The problem was my son had to find a safe route to walk or ride his bike, which actually made his trip about 4.5 miles to school to avoid crossing wide busy intersections, walking along a freeway.....not to mention finding other parents that would consider allowing their child to do the same. As the over protective parent I was/am....I wanted to be SURE my child was not injured, late, kidnapped, molested or afraid in anyway....so we carpooled. My daughter went to another school....in the opposite direction and was 5 miles from her school. Biking or walking was not an option before she started driving.....so the bus it was!

My point is that you're over simplifying this when you actually haven't experienced or know the limitations and complications of logistics for children commuting to school. If children have not been made a priority, then bike lanes to commute to work isn't likely to happen anytime soon.
When you are a parent, hopefully you'll be lucky enough to find a house next door to an elementary school and you'll be worry free. Reality doesn't always play out that way.

In the mean time.....encouraging bicycling is an OK thing....but most people are responsible and smart enough to weigh the pros and cons to decide for themselves. We all have our priorities that we're facing....and just because people are not jumping on the bandwagon, doesn't mean they don't care. They may be in the middle of a divorce, or have a relative dying of cancer, or a child with asthma....things in life that just are a bit more important to them personally.

My wish is that we could all live in that "Walgreen" commercial and have no crime, or heat, or time limits or body oder to mess things up!
I lived in a suburb of Chicago. My elementary school had this crazy policy that you had to go home for lunch if you lived within a 1-mile radius, no matter what the weather was. i can always say that I walked to and from school every day through three feet of snow "twice!" So you kids just quit your wining.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:46 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,637,817 times
Wow! What did parents do if they worked?

Old 07-22-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I lived in a suburb of Chicago. My elementary school had this crazy policy that you had to go home for lunch if you lived within a 1-mile radius, no matter what the weather was. i can always say that I walked to and from school every day through three feet of snow "twice!" So you kids just quit your wining.
That IS crazy! I hope things have changed for the better!

Good question re: working parents!!! A first grader going home for lunch to an empty house? Tough neightborhood Pan!

Old 07-22-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatotex97 View Post
Wow! What did parents do if they worked?
I didn't ask being that I was 7. This was in 1967 and I didn't know any moms that worked out of the house, it was very "Leave it to Beaver" environment. It was a different time. We also didn't have the all risks back then. After school we were out playing all over the neighborhood until my Dad stepped out on the front porch and whistled real loud and then I knew it was dinner-time.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
That IS crazy! I hope things have changed for the better!

Good question re: working parents!!! A first grader going home for lunch to an empty house? Tough neightborhood Pan!
It was anything but a tough neighborhood. One time, when we had a blizzard, they really did expect my sister and I to walk home IIRC my mom was going to be out for some reason and finally got them to allow us to stay at school for lunch.

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-22-2008 at 11:30 AM..

Old 07-22-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
It was anything but a tough neighborhood. one time, when we had a blizzard of abou 3 fet of snow in one night, they really did expect my sister and I to walk home IIRC my mom was going to be out for some reason and finally get them to allow us to stay at school for lunch.
Well.....1967 makes more sense. I remember those times when we played outside until dark. We were all over the neighborhood....having fun.

My kids are adults now....so no more whining from me. But my hearts go out to parents who both work and have school age kids in three different schools and have to get everybody to work and school.....especially the little ones. That do have reason to whine......but most just figured it out instead.

I wish to amend my Walgreen world to have no snow or ice either....and to include giant marshmellows to sleep on at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio