U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,638 posts, read 21,625,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Eventually the State is gonna give him a buzz he'll never forget...hopefully sooner than later.
I know it wasn't known at the time of this post, but I think it's worth discussing now that the victim's family strongly disagrees that the accused killer should receive the death penalty. They even offered to pay for his defense until advised against it by the defense attorneys.

If nothing else, I think the Barrios' family's view on this should at least make us think before we make the knee-jerk reaction of demanding an eye for an eye.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM

2,887 posts, read 3,624,553 times
I would agree with you.......only if it weren't such a heinous crime.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,657,716 times
This was pretty disturbing. My mom still lives in the house I grew up in just a few blocks from where this happened, and now she's afraid of something happening to her. Primo's parents live on the same street!

This is my opinion, but I think the parents of the kid involved are every bit to blame as the kid. From what I read, he officially drops out of school at 16, lives at home, runs with the "wrong" crowd, and has some kind of drug problem that the parents may even have been aware of. You've got all these warning signs and do.....nothing?

He shouldn't get the death penalty for this, because he is not solely to blame (mostly, yes), and his parents should be penalized in some way, too. It would be different if he were 26. But at 16, his parents failed both him and their community.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:17 PM

140 posts, read 352,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
This is my opinion, but I think the parents of the kid involved are every bit to blame as the kid. From what I read, he officially drops out of school at 16, lives at home, runs with the "wrong" crowd, and has some kind of drug problem that the parents may even have been aware of. You've got all these warning signs and do.....nothing?

He shouldn't get the death penalty for this, because he is not solely to blame (mostly, yes), and his parents should be penalized in some way, too. It would be different if he were 26. But at 16, his parents failed both him and their community.
You are kidding right? Moderator cut: personal remarks The parents responsible? I dont think ever for a second his parents thought he would do such a thing as he has. Unless you live in that household you dont know what his parents had tried to do to set him straight.

There are a lot of kids who get involved in the "wrong crowd," or drugs at that age and I dont think any parent would think their son/daughter will murder someone. Most grow out of this stage, but im sure his parents wanted something better for him and had tried to set him straight. Secondly, what were his parents to do. Many of you'll live in this fantasy world that you can fix it all, but you'll dont know what it would be like because most kids (probably yours) stick on the right track.

I grew up inner city all my life, and graduated high school in 2001. The pressures and influences on kids today is unbeliveable. I have seen it happen many times were at about that age (high school) kids get influenced into the wrong things, and I guaranty there is NO stopping them. I have seen it happen to friends and in my own family. I have seen parents do all they can to get through to their kid and it tear apart familys but at that age there is no MAKING anymore. Were his parents to kick him out and put him on the streets? The point I am trying to make is you dont know what his parents tried to do. What he did is horrible and he will and should pay for it, BUT unless you lived in that household you should not judge. From the looks of it on TV from the news, I dont think for a second his parents thought he would ever commit such a crime, and im sure they had hoped their son was going to eventually set himself straight.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-02-2008 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: No personal remarks... we may (politely) attack the "idea" of a speaker... but we do not attack the speaker!

Old 05-02-2008, 06:39 PM

2,887 posts, read 3,624,553 times
Although this is a country with a lot freedom, alas, accountabiliity is sorely lacking. It's always "somebody else's fault" You cannot do whatever you want whether it's speeding on the expressway, setting animals on fire for "kicks", killing something or someone and feeling no remorse. (If you have no remorse the act will not "haunt" you the rest of your life). The fact that the crime was committed by a child, a teenager, a female or a senior citizen should be taken into account during the punishment phase, the nature of crime committed should also weigh heavily on the decision. Giving someone a lighter sentence because they fall into one of the previous groups should not be a big factor. "If you don't have the time, don't do the crime." Welcome to the adult world Mr. Estrada. Stupidity is not a legal defense.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ4512 View Post
The point I am trying to make is you dont know what his parents tried to do. What he did is horrible and he will and should pay for it, BUT unless you lived in that household you should not judge. From the looks of it on TV from the news, I dont think for a second his parents thought he would ever commit such a crime, and im sure they had hoped their son was going to eventually set himself straight.
Where does a parent's responsibility end and a kid's begin???
A parent shouldn't hope "their son was going to eventually set himself straight."

No, the parents should have set him straight!! That's their freakin' job!!!

Old 05-03-2008, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ4512 View Post
You are kidding right? Moderator cut: personal remarks The parents responsible? I dont think ever for a second his parents thought he would do such a thing as he has. Unless you live in that household you dont know what his parents had tried to do to set him straight.

There are a lot of kids who get involved in the "wrong crowd," or drugs at that age and I dont think any parent would think their son/daughter will murder someone. Most grow out of this stage, but im sure his parents wanted something better for him and had tried to set him straight. Secondly, what were his parents to do. Many of you'll live in this fantasy world that you can fix it all, but you'll dont know what it would be like because most kids (probably yours) stick on the right track.

I grew up inner city all my life, and graduated high school in 2001. The pressures and influences on kids today is unbeliveable. I have seen it happen many times were at about that age (high school) kids get influenced into the wrong things, and I guaranty there is NO stopping them. I have seen it happen to friends and in my own family. I have seen parents do all they can to get through to their kid and it tear apart familys but at that age there is no MAKING anymore. Were his parents to kick him out and put him on the streets? The point I am trying to make is you dont know what his parents tried to do. What he did is horrible and he will and should pay for it, BUT unless you lived in that household you should not judge. From the looks of it on TV from the news, I dont think for a second his parents thought he would ever commit such a crime, and im sure they had hoped their son was going to eventually set himself straight.
So do you want him to get the death penalty for this?

Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 AM

8,363 posts, read 13,345,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
So do you want him to get the death penalty for this?
With all due respect to the victim's family, I do. The criminal is an adult and committed capital murder. I fully understand the concept of forgiveness, but I also understand accepting consequences for one's actions. We are not talking about a speeding ticket here, this young man willingly and deliberately took this innocent woman's life. There is no crime more heinous, and the punishment—if he is found guilty—should be nothing sort of the maximum allowed by law.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If nothing else, I think the Barrios' family's view on this should at least make us think before we make the knee-jerk reaction of demanding an eye for an eye.
Luckily, just because the family forgives him doesn't mean that is what's best for our society. I've known people who have been "forgiven" only to later find another victim.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Status: "The blue mat is obsessed with me. Whyyyy??" (set 10 days ago)

13,648 posts, read 22,097,123 times
Just because they forgive does not mean they don't want him punished. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio