U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:56 PM

2,663 posts, read 2,557,548 times
Like any situation, these things are always more complicated than they seem. That's what I was trying (and apparently failing) to get through on my earlier post. The kid grew up in an environment, like EJ4512 said when he "pleasantly debated" my post, we don't know what it was like in that environment. It's so easy to lay down a blanket statement like "he killed a nice old woman, a pillar of the community, with an arrow to the brain" but we don't know all the circumstances that lead to that sad, regretful act. Again, I blame the parents because I think they are responsible for providing that environment. But EJ4512 is right, I don't know what pressures or challenges have that prevented the parents from creating the kind of environment that would prohibit this type of act.

I guess this is why "we should not judge our fellow man"

My point is this, you shouldn't kill this kid if he was a product of his environment. If he wasn't, if he was some kind of aberration, so be it. But I don't know of any 16 year-old kid that isn't a product of their environment. Everybody makes choices, but no choices are made in a moral vacuum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 07:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,485 posts, read 20,831,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Just because they forgive does not mean they don't want him punished. The two are not mutually exclusive.
They don't want him executed. They've made that very clear.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 AM

13,601 posts, read 21,474,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
They don't want him executed. They've made that very clear.
I'm aware of that. I wouldn't want him executed either.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:36 PM

1,805 posts, read 3,252,553 times
Quote:
I can't imagine what it feels like to be 18 and the only thing you are going to have to look forward to is an hour outside every day. And all that just to catch a buzz.
This thought comes to my mind whenever I think of Scaught (Scott) Peterson, who was convicted of murdering his beautiful, pregnant wife a few days before Christmas, for a piece of arse a few towns away..... (and let me add here that I do not consider this young woman a few towns away anything but an unfortunate victim of Scaught's; he lied to her and he lied to her unwitting friend that introduced them; he gave them no reason to doubt his 'singleness' until the media started following him around shortly after Laci's disappearance.... what a FOOL: he needs to be 'put down' just on the basis of being too frighteningly stupid to live in this world, as far as I'm concerned......
Day after day after day after day after day... and the average 'tour of duty' on death row in California is nearly 30 years, due to the backlog of the appeals process.... poooooor Scaught.......
poor Joe Estrada............

Old 05-04-2008, 01:13 PM

8,304 posts, read 12,838,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Like any situation, these things are always more complicated than they seem. That's what I was trying (and apparently failing) to get through on my earlier post. The kid grew up in an environment, like EJ4512 said when he "pleasantly debated" my post, we don't know what it was like in that environment. It's so easy to lay down a blanket statement like "he killed a nice old woman, a pillar of the community, with an arrow to the brain" but we don't know all the circumstances that lead to that sad, regretful act. Again, I blame the parents because I think they are responsible for providing that environment. But EJ4512 is right, I don't know what pressures or challenges have that prevented the parents from creating the kind of environment that would prohibit this type of act.

I guess this is why "we should not judge our fellow man"

My point is this, you shouldn't kill this kid if he was a product of his environment. If he wasn't, if he was some kind of aberration, so be it. But I don't know of any 16 year-old kid that isn't a product of their environment. Everybody makes choices, but no choices are made in a moral vacuum.
Gee, our whole jury-based judicial system is based on judging our fellow man!

Anyhow, I think too many people opt out using the "product of the environment" and whereas I realize that is a factor in shaping an individual; I don't see it as an excuse for such actions such as murder. Many a murderer has come from affluent and “well-adjusted” backgrounds, so you can't associate the action with how a person was raised. Except for those with mental health issues where a person cannot judge what is right and what is wrong; most people are aware of the consequences of such a heinous crime.

As much as I understand the family’s desires, I am glad the decision is not up to them as this is not just a crime just against them, but a crime against society in general. Thank God the police were able to apprehend the individual and he will get his day in court, where all aspects of this crime will be laid before the jury and their consensus will decide his fate. Either way, may God have mercy on his soul.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-04-2008, 03:16 PM

5,730 posts, read 8,697,583 times
HELLLOOOOOO!!! The guy that did this is 18 yrs old!! HE IS AN ADULT IN THE EYES OF THE LAW AND SOCIETY!!! Why is everyone posting he is only 16 and a child???!!?!?!

I suppose having my brother and two other police officers murdered by a 19 yr old and a 20 yr old clouds my view of this matter, but I think he should be tried as an adult and he should be held accountable for his action.

I am not passing judgement on him, HE HAS CONFESSED TO THE CRIME!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 03:33 PM

He's been charged with capital murder and our DA has already said she'd like to string him up herself. I'm sure justice will be served.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:37 PM

2,835 posts, read 3,482,656 times
Quote:
He's been charged with capital murder and our DA has already said she'd like to string him up herself. I'm sure justice will be served.
I hope so........he's a product of the "new generation" that feels they can do whatever they want without retribution.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:41 PM

I don't think that's limited to the "new generation." Look at Emilio. But that's a whole different thread.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:00 PM

8,304 posts, read 12,838,684 times
He is going to be tried like an adult and if found guilty by a jury of his peers (and I use that term loosely in this example, as I hope the jury is smarter than he was), he will be held accountable. But let our justice system run its course. Despite his confession, he is still entitled to his day in court and I fully support that, just as I do his receiving a death sentence if found guilty. Texas is not one of those states that pussyfoots around with this kind of stuff...as Ron White would say...

Quote:
I’m from Texas. In Texas we have the death penalty. And we USE it.

That’s right, if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we will kill you back. That’s our policy.

They’re trying to pass a bill right now through the Texas Legislature that will speed up the process of execution in heinous crimes where there’s more than three credible eye witnesses. If more than three people saw you do what you did, you don’t sit on death row for 15 years, Jack, you go straight to the front of the line.

Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty … my state’s puttin’ in an express lane.
All I gotta say is, God Bless Texas!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio