Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM

168 posts, read 409,182 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a good happy hour in the neighborhood of the MAJESTIC THEATER.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:36 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
So many choices:

Bohanans Bar: Incredible new bar underneath the tip-top steakhouse. Mark Bohanan slings a mean drink (and before 7pm, they're cheaper).

The Majestic Club: Can non-members still access this place?

Houston St Bistro: Great wine specials with the best outdoor seating on Houston Street.

The Palm: Their bar has a nice happy hour, they pour HARD and it's right in the heart of Houston St.

BN

Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 PM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,547 times
I have worked downtown for over 10 years and there has never been a decent happy hour (and by that I mean something lively, fun..with lots of professional people just getting off work looking for a good time).

You would think with major companies like the Frost Bank, AT&T, CPS Energy, etc...the bars would be packed right afterwork....that has never been the case. Zen bar (now the forementioned Bohanans bar) almost got lively one summer with this army of interns from AT&T, but that ended quickly. They would even bring you free sushi as long as you ordered drinks......but that died out, and Zen bar closed down.

There have been nice bars that have come and gone all along Houston Street...they are always empty after work. I guess people just want to get to their parking garage safely and get out of downtown before all the crazies really come out after dark.

Yes you can go up to the Rivercenter or South Bank....those will have more people than Houston St, but those are all too touristy.

Last edited by Primo; 03-05-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 03-05-2010, 12:12 PM

220 posts, read 680,831 times
It's a short stroll to the Riverwalk. Lots of bars and clubs. Dicks Last resort can get crazy.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
I disagree about Houston Street only being 'tourist-centric.' I can say without any hesitation that Mark Bohanan opened an awesome Prohibition Era-style bar, with detail, drinks and specialty alcohol that cannot be found anywhere else in San Antonio.

I'm not a paid shill here: Just supporting a homegrown enterprise that's proven to me, time and time again, to be quality. They not only serve a mean drink, but have a fantastic bar menu as well.

BN

Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 PM

490 posts, read 1,094,419 times
I'll second the Bohanan's Bar. Great addition for locals.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:07 AM

168 posts, read 409,182 times
Default We went to the Palms and Bohanan's....

Thanks for all the recommendations. We went last evening (3/5).
First to the Palms, since their happy hour "specials" ended at 630p. We enjoyed the drinks, raw oysters and deep friend calimari. The two bartenders were extremely busy, so service was fair. We enjoy our time there until the cigarette smoked chocked us out! We then went to Bohanan's bar. VERY RELAXING with comfortable seating. We enjoyed the 2 meat/2 cheese tray - VERY GOOD! Didn't smell any cigarette smoke. Service was excellent at Bohanan's!

Old 03-06-2010, 12:22 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napunani View Post
Thanks for all the recommendations. We went last evening (3/5).
First to the Palms, since their happy hour "specials" ended at 630p. We enjoyed the drinks, raw oysters and deep friend calimari. The two bartenders were extremely busy, so service was fair. We enjoy our time there until the cigarette smoked chocked us out! We then went to Bohanan's bar. VERY RELAXING with comfortable seating. We enjoyed the 2 meat/2 cheese tray - VERY GOOD! Didn't smell any cigarette smoke. Service was excellent at Bohanan's!
Nice feedback. I've had the same experience at the Palm.

We sometimes park in the public parking off (rebuild high rise parking) Travis behind the Gunter Hotel. They have a cozy bar in there that we stop in for convenience. Nothing special...but just nice and laid back. When we're ready, we just walk across the street to the show and miss the crazy traffic in the Majestic garage. We NEVER park there for a show.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio