Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,001,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperone View Post
No one knows anything for sure concerning that second project. All there is now is gossip spread via an internet message board. It's as legit and reliable as me saying Universal plans to build a theme park and film studio near Sea World.

As for the SAF Studio, yep, that's a done deal. I wonder what the first movie is?
Which is why I said "rumors". As unreliable as these sometimes turn out to be, a lot of insider information is spread across these active message boards. That is especially true with San Antonio projects. Even so these rumors are usually based on truth. Even the infamous Disney rumor was fueled by a developer in Westover Hills that claimed on the news he flew around with Disney executives scouting land for a project (not necessarily a theme park).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:54 PM

483 posts, read 1,557,055 times
"South of town" seems to indicate that this will be outside the city limits, but probably still in Bexar county.

In any case, this is pretty awesome news!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:43 PM

Also, according to this news story Lights, Camera, Action Coming To San Antonio - San Antonio News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/news/15986357/detail.html - broken link) , a major special effects company is relocating from Hollywood to San Antonio.

That company is Spectrum Effects (Spectrum Effects, Inc. | Matt Kutcher Special Effects Supervisor) and popular works include: Baywatch, Star Trek, CSI: Miami, Desperate Housewives, etc.

What other film/film related companies are located in SA? Do you think there is any chance this announcement will help attract other studios?

BTW construction on the studio (http://www.safstudiosinc.com/studios.html - broken link) is expected to start in June. Looks to be a very large building. Pictures on the site show a lake too.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:49 PM

First came all the people relocating from California. Then came LOTS of new shopping. Now comes the Hollywood studios. Do I even need to say it ?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,621,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
First came all the people relocating from California. Then came LOTS of new shopping. Now comes the Hollywood studios. Do I even need to say it ?
OK, OK! You might as well let the cat out of the bag. San Antonio is getting a lot of exposure, so Britney Spears and K-Fed are moving to San Antonio!

Old 04-25-2008, 11:09 PM

81 posts, read 218,186 times
villa muse is not much larger than this project. It does have more land; some sites say 700 acres, others over 1000. I have also read the studio area will be 200 acres with the remainder of the land devoted to residential and retail. The SAF project is 500 acres with no residential.

I would also guess the economic impact of villa muse will be much less than initially projected. I am sure it was calculated without knowledge of the San Antonio project, which is bound to have an effect on it. I hope the Austin project is built as it will help this region. I am skeptic though.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:10 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,949,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
What other film/film related companies are located in SA? Do you think there is any chance this announcement will help attract other studios?
With the ability to transmit content digitally over broadband between Hollywood and anywhere in the world in a matter of seconds, it's no longer necessary for effects companies to be located close to where production is done. I don't think having an effects company here is going to make it any more likely that a studio will open here.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:08 AM

28 posts, read 107,673 times
Smile Movies

Actually, San Antonio was the "first" Hollywood...back in the '20's. In fact, the famous movie "Wings" was filmed near Ft. Sam. It was a b/w silent film starring Clara Beau (Bow) and won the very first Academy award ever presented and it premired at the old Texas Theater (now AT&T on Houston St). Wings was a WW1 action movie with the bi-planes and all and the camera shots of the dog fights were so perfect and dramatic, that they used the film as a model to produce the same action you saw in the Star Wars movie. Neat, huh? They later moved filmdom to Hollywood because of better weather.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:25 PM

San Antonio is no stranger to the film industry. Numerous movies, films, tv shows, etc. have been filmed here. Of course Universal Studios isn't relocating operations to AS anytime soon. Also San Antonio has more celebrity residents that it has ever prior. San Antonio is ideal because filming laws are obsolete, incentives are great, weather tends to be good, and there are numerous great filming spots in the area. Just like everyone else in Cali, they move to SA to save money.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 PM

3,542 posts, read 8,218,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
OK, OK! You might as well let the cat out of the bag. San Antonio is getting a lot of exposure, so Britney Spears and K-Fed are moving to San Antonio!
not the Beverly Hillbillies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio