Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:18 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,751 times

Advertisements

If you block a driveway, can you be ticketed or is it only if the owner complains or has a sign?

Our neighborhood always gets packed for the King William Fair with people parking everywhere and not so legally (too close tot he corner, for example). However I'd like to use my car to block my driveway tomorrow morning so someone else doesn't (which has happened in past years). But I don't want to get ticketed for doing so.

The cops are usually out in force writing tickets on KW day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:29 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,324 times
I would suggest blocking your driveway with something other than your car. lawn Chairs, garbage cans, orange cones and then string them together.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:35 AM

81 posts, read 260,620 times
Why would you get a ticket for parking your own car in your own driveway? Or are you talking about parking your car on the street in front of your driveway?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:38 AM

parking the car on the street to block the driveway entrance.

This prevents someone else from blocking my driveway and therefore preventing me from using the driveway later in the day till the idiot returns....

It happens every year, probably worse for our drive than most because it's not 100% obvious it's a driveway. There is the little ramp but there's a fence and it's grass beyond (tho that's what we use to park, until we get around to laying gravel). So someone could innocently think it's an unused driveway.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:41 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
I would suggest blocking your driveway with something other than your car. lawn Chairs, garbage cans, orange cones and then string them together.
This is the easiest solution. Use something of no value and string it up in front of the driveway. That way you don't have to stand guard to explain to a cop who doesn't know your car from some random one that somebody parked there why they shouldn't ticket it.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM

81 posts, read 260,620 times
I would do what scuba steve suggested. I'd also add a sign saying that cars blocking the drive would be towed at owner's expense. If it's legal to do that.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:47 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
parking the car on the street to block the driveway entrance.

This prevents someone else from blocking my driveway and therefore preventing me from using the driveway later in the day till the idiot returns....

It happens every year, probably worse for our drive than most because it's not 100% obvious it's a driveway. There is the little ramp but there's a fence and it's grass beyond (tho that's what we use to park, until we get around to laying gravel). So someone could innocently think it's an unused driveway.
Can you tape a sign in the window, informing any officer who may stop, that you have parked your car there so that others don't, and parking it there will allow you to leave if you need to?

Although, I think the idea of blocking with 'other' items is the best idea, because IF you leave, you may be blocked from your driveway when you return, and then.....
how many blocks away from home will you have to park???
all while carrying perhaps groceries and kids? yikes!!

best of all, can you go to austin for the weekend? rent your driveway out for parking ahead of time... LOL (just joking bout the rental, but not about austin or wherever...... hows the weather in corpus right now? your kids would LOVE that....

I lived in Long Beach CA for 9 years before I moved to Dallas mid-90's. During the Malibu Grand Prix I parked my car across the driveway and had a friend pick me up every time I went somewhere other than walking distance.... Frequently, I just went out of town for the weekend......
I lived just a few blocks from the beach, so that was walkable, but any groceries other than mom & pop operations were inland from where I was...

Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Can you tape a sign in the window, informing any officer who may stop, that you have parked your car there so that others don't, and parking it there will allow you to leave if you need to?

Although, I think the idea of blocking with 'other' items is the best idea, because IF you leave, you may be blocked from your driveway when you return, and then.....
how many blocks away from home will you have to park???
all while carrying perhaps groceries and kids? yikes!!

best of all, can you go to austin for the weekend? rent your driveway out for parking ahead of time... LOL (just joking bout the rental, but not about austin or wherever...... hows the weather in corpus right now? your kids would LOVE that....
Nah, we're going to the parade. My kid will be on a float (or at least pulled in a wagon behind if she doesn't cooperate), and we have friends coming to join us for the fair. We like going. Just not the idiots who can't park.

I'm not sure we'll need our car later in the day, but I don't like to be blocked in!

That said, it's a problem every freakin' Sunday as well, with cars parking too close to the stop sign/corner so you can't see if you're trying to drive across the intersection. (There's a JW Hall across the street). But the cops could care less about it then.

Good plan to use oher stuff. I'll get some cones. Where does one buy cones?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:11 AM

285 posts, read 677,527 times
Quote:
Good plan to use oher stuff. I'll get some cones. Where does one buy cones?
I would think that anyone who would park blocking a driveway would simply remove the cones or whatever else is placed there!

Lori

Old 04-25-2008, 09:35 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
Quote:
Where does one buy cones?
I've seen bright orange cones at Lowe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio