Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 01:48 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,572,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Yes i expect it to drop. I am realtor in California but obviously know nothing about TX real estate market. I been looking online and honestly would expect homes to be much bigger at $500k. For example i assume this one is in the center of the city https://www.redfin.com/TX/San-Antoni.../home/48725386
It's south of downtown, but pretty central. The thing is, the homes in the city center are mostly "shotgun" style and for that reason are really small. (or maybe I'm thinking more of 78207). There are definitely some grand home in King William, but I'll be honest, they're probably beyond the 500k budget or if not they'll need word. Also note the cost of property taxes. Those are high in Texas due o no state income taxes. Like this within a realtor search - https://www.redfin.com/TX/San-Antoni.../home/48725183

To get a large home they'll need to move outside of the CBD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 02:06 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,934,925 times
There are essentially 3 parts to King William.
Most people think of King William Street and the streets around there. They are right next to the riverwalk and are pretty much all huge, 2 story houses. This was the original King William and where the wealthy lived back in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Some of the houses you can tour. I don't think you can find a house for under 1 million here unless it's run down. And there aren't many of those.
Across the river there is a tiny neighbourhood that is technically King William but it is definitely not as nice. The houses are smaller and slightly more run down. I honestly don't think this used to be a part of King William. It is to the west of the "old" King William.
Across S. Alamo from the "old" King William is a neighbourhood with, once again, smaller and more run down houses. I think it's nicer than the one across the river though/ This is where that Wickes house is. They have been making this area nicer in the past couple of decades. As far as I know this was always King William although it has always been cheaper like Lavaca. I used to live here and we always thought we were in Lavaca. It's the area right next to Brackenridge High School.
I don't think there is anywhere in town that house would be more expensive. If it was in a similar neighbourhood in a big city in California it would be much more expensive.

Old 05-19-2020, 02:34 PM

6,477 posts, read 7,424,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
To get a large home they'll need to move outside of the CBD.
This is true.
OP, remember that 20 miles in LA rush hour translates to an hour drive. In most of San Antonio, its only 30 mins so they may want to consider casting a wider net distance wise when looking for a place to live. Also unlike DTLA, although there are some office high rises in downtown SA, it is mostly tourist-centric downtown so they may even find themselves going against traffic working downtown.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:14 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,108,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
This is true.
OP, remember that 20 miles in LA rush hour translates to an hour drive. In most of San Antonio, its only 30 mins so they may want to consider casting a wider net distance wise when looking for a place to live. Also unlike DTLA, although there are some office high rises in downtown SA, it is mostly tourist-centric downtown so they may even find themselves going against traffic working downtown.
Interesting, i didn't realized that traffic is that light there.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:25 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,701,964 times
Maybe at one time while living in California, you could get a much much bigger home for $500K in Texas but that ship sailed awhile ago with the current market comparisons. I feel that this is more accurate to say for Austin than San Antonio but that gap is closing quickly.

The comparison between the two states isn't that different much now, real estate and the type of people both. Texas is going from red to purple before we realize it.

Old 05-19-2020, 06:32 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,572,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Maybe at one time while living in California, you could get a much much bigger home for $500K in Texas but that ship sailed awhile ago with the current market comparisons. I feel that this is more accurate to say for Austin than San Antonio but that gap is closing quickly.

The comparison between the two states isn't that different much now, real estate and the type of people both. Texas is going from red to purple before we realize it.
After OP posted that home in 78210 I checked everything available in the area and I was shocked at how low the prices were in that area compared to Austin. The smaller 1000 sq ft houses ours be going for at least 350 here. I realize that 78210 is a large area and just happens to include KW. The further East you get the more shady it gets. So. But, that’s what happened up here. Hipsters and people from California noticed it was close to downtown at a low price and suddenly it was desirable. I’ve seen here at CD people have said that the Digowity area is full of AirBnBs because it’s close to downtown and the homes are cute. I feel like that’s what’s going to happen in 78210, if it hasn’t yet.

Old 05-19-2020, 10:53 PM

6,477 posts, read 7,424,489 times
^"Professional AIR BnB'rs" are getting hit hard right now from what I hear, especially those that bought several properties even taking out mortgages for the specific purpose of short term rentals. Business has been good for the last few years and they gambled on business continuing to be good but expect many of them to get foreclosed soon since short term rental business is down thanks to Corona. This is a big part of the reason why I expect inflated urban property values across the US to decline as surplus goes up.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:11 PM

3,950 posts, read 2,934,925 times
I would rather live in the areas you speak of than Dignowity Hill fwiw

Old 05-19-2020, 11:57 PM

61,094 posts, read 85,880,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Rent for a year and get a feel for the city, 500K house in Southern California is much different than 500K in SA.
I totally agree with this ^^^ statement. Why rush with the home purchase? If you have never been to San Antonio, you should first rent for a year and see how you like it, drive around, get the feel of different neighborhoods. Then form your own opinion about where you would want to buy a house.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:18 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,352,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
This is largely due to the large number of people migrating here from California. Austin is unrecognizable. It just isn't Austin any more. It would be good if those moving here, in order to flee the oppressive cost of living in CA realize that if they vote for similar issues here, they will end up pricing themselves out of yet another state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio