U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 PM

4,149 posts, read 9,311,940 times

Advertisements

Awesome ideas. Some we've had in mind. Some we hadn't considered. I'm going to be putting together a large proposal for him and will be researching all these areas thoroughly. This is going to be a long term project and involve millions of dollars, so we're pretty excited about it. Just want to make sure we've looked at every single option before we get going, so it'll take a bit to pull the research together.

Any others areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 09:07 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,362,307 times
Whatever you do, include the local community already there in your plans. They have a lot to offer. One of the things I like so much about our neighborhood is that revitalization efforts (until recently) have included those long time residents as much as possible, so they're not just pushed out.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Agree with Celeste - although a major issue is the S. Presa corridor around Pereida. I believe that property is owned by one person on one corner, and there's the now vacant Pig Stand on the other (tho don't take the pig!). It really needs some commercial development, as it stands now it's an eyesore.

But definitely the section further south - `a
oops, I think a little hand prevented me from finishing that...now I'm not sure what I was saying, except to agree

Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 AM

469 posts, read 1,024,585 times
I also say the South Presa area. I live over here and would love to see this area revitalized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
My vote would be for the South Presa corridor, basically from Probandt/Blue Star down to where I-10/I-37/Hwy 90 intersect... right around Fair Ave. The housing stock in this area is every bit as gorgeous as the near-north side neighborhoods (Govt Hill, Alta Vista, Tobin Hill, etc.) but at MUCH lower values right now. There are tons of available commercial and retail space that can be bought for nothing, much of it still retaining the original charm of the buildings built in early 1900s. There is also strong community support (many churches and community organizations that would help support new investment). As money continues to flow into SoFlo and people begin to tire of condos but still want to be "urban", they'll start looking for SFHs nearby.

Redevelopment of this corridor is a long-term proposition because of the chicken & egg situation (need retail/services to pull new affluent residents, need affluent residents to drive retail). However, easy proximity to major arteries feeding Toyota, Ft. Sam, Brooks City-Base, Lackland, Port San Antonio & TAMU-SA make the South Presa area ideally located to capitalize on South Side growth. Plus, in the short-term, depending on what is built and how it's marketed, new developments in South Presa could pull dollars from residents in the existing middle-class Highlands area.

Just my $.02 worth.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,803,696 times
I hit up Google maps to get a view of these big old houses along Fredericksburg Road inside of I-410, and now that area gets my vote. It looks like the area could be pretty cool.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:52 AM

824 posts, read 1,602,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Awesome ideas. Some we've had in mind. Some we hadn't considered. I'm going to be putting together a large proposal for him and will be researching all these areas thoroughly. This is going to be a long term project and involve millions of dollars, so we're pretty excited about it. Just want to make sure we've looked at every single option before we get going, so it'll take a bit to pull the research together.

Any others areas?
C'mon now, Kev............you don't expect me to give away any good ideas, do you???

Old 05-01-2008, 06:45 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,987,624 times
If you are looking for something historic, something diverse and urban, check out the Deco District, Monticello Park, Jefferson High School area off Fredericksburg Rd. This area could be the next Blue Star type area due to the great location and historical significance. If you start at Fred and Club moving towards Ashby and all the way down to Flores St you will see all the potential. The homes are really beautiful in this area as is Jefferson High School and Woodlawn Lake. The main drag on Fredericksburg Rd from Club (HEB) to I-10 and beyond have alot of commercial potential and very close to downtown. Alot of 1930 era homes are being revitilized in this area. Alot of artist, doctors, lawyers, politicians live in this neighborhood. Very eclectic and interesting area with lots of old world charm.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:46 PM

You know, while I applaud efforts of developers who want to 'bring back' an area, I'm inclined to think you'd be better off focusing on former industrial districts (like SoFlo) rather than already established neighborhoods.

After thinking about it some more, King William and Lavaca at least (I'm less familiar with Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, etc) were 'brought back' by the people who chose to live IN the community or had already been there some years. It wasn't developers who re-did it all. That helps (eg Victoria Commons), but what made places like Victoria Commons possible was the commitment of the already established neighborhood community to revitalize the neighborhood. Same with King William - it was 'brought" back not by developers creating something new, but by local residents taking pride in their community and bringing it back to life.

Not that I'm discouraging such projects per se, but I'd rather see a focus on community activism and assistance programs (such as true grants, not what passes for 'grants' now which mainly go to those with connections...) to help those already living in the area restore their community.

Now, there are aspects that would require those with more financial backing, such as the commercial corridors (eg Fred Rd, S. Presa), so I'm not saying they're not needed. I just think the most successful revitalization projects are those which truly revitalize rather than simply gentrify. The people who are already there make the community. We don't want to lose them.

There are a lot of downtown buildings that the regular person couldn't afford to buy and refurbish, just ripe for developers to take over and make into a mixed use community.

Old 05-02-2008, 12:02 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,340,275 times
One place to really think about is the Lavaca area between South Presa and I-37. The city has torn up all the roads, and is making them wider, with better sidewalks, and basically improving the infrastructure (though painfully slowly). The neighborhood definitely has a strong community unity to it, and several of the houses, many of which are architectural wonders of bygone days, have been restored or are being restored.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
One place to really think about is the Lavaca area between South Presa and I-37. The city has torn up all the roads, and is making them wider, with better sidewalks, and basically improving the infrastructure (though painfully slowly). The neighborhood definitely has a strong community unity to it, and several of the houses, many of which are architectural wonders of bygone days, have been restored or are being restored.
Except that Lavaca is one of the neighborhoods where the local community is already doing a lot to revitalize it. I think the commercial corridor along S. Presa needs some help (someone needs to convince the owners of the dilapidated buildings to sell), but the neighborhood itself is already well on its way.

Those of us who live in the neighborhood really like the mixed income atmosphere. I'd hate to see yet more property bought up by developers.

btw - the roads aren't getting wider, on Florida they're supposed to be burying power lines. They're resurfacing and putting in sidewalks, but not really widening anything. Labor is the same width it's always been. And honestly, I prefer not to have the roads widened. We really don't need to have an excuse for cars to drive more than 25 mph down our neighborhood streets. The narrower streets (formerly carriage roads) force cars to slow down. I live on one of the wider streets now and it definitely encourages cars to speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio