Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 10:03 AM

6,693 posts, read 8,742,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
Many of these kids could never pay for this type of university degree which their athletic talents can afford them. So they will be getting an education, yes. Plus a miniscule chance to play professional football.
Besides game enthusiasm is contagious and helps keep the student body motivated.
Right. Sports cause economic exploitation.

As for the money aspect of College football, well, if there is a way to make couple of bucks out of it, it will happen. It is the American way.
Still don't need sports. Especially football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 10:10 AM

1,024 posts, read 866,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Well done View Post
Many of these kids could never pay for this type of university degree which their athletic talents can afford them. So they will be getting an education, yes. Plus a miniscule chance to play professional football.
Besides game enthusiasm is contagious and helps keep the student body motivated.
Right. Sports cause economic exploitation.

As for the money aspect of College football, well, if there is a way to make couple of bucks out of it, it will happen. It is the American way.

Just because they're in school doesn't mean they're learning anything. I've met a TON of truly stupid college grads who at 45 continue to go on and on and on about their glory days of playing ball. They become perfect little worker ants in low-level office jobs.

95%+ athletes with no honest prospect of making it pro: They're just taking head injuries for the thrill of the crowd.

I'm well-aware of how the machine works: I have a dad who played pro baseball for almost two decades. He then became a sports agent. I've seen the inside of this game my entire life and It's not very pretty on the collegiate level. It's money-grubbing and disgusting.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:12 AM

1,024 posts, read 866,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Still don't need sports. Especially football.

BOOM

Old 09-11-2020, 01:51 PM

216 posts, read 131,257 times
Default KaBoom!

KaBoom! I am happy for you because apparently out of a ton of Idiots which were your coworkers- you were the cream of the crop? I find this difficult to believe.What business are you in anyway, where a bunch of guys who had their brains knocked out, idiots, work alongside you? It must be an easy place to work. Apparently. Well good! I should send a resume in and so then, will rise to become the CEO very quickly.

It is said that the cynic knows the price of everything but the value of nothing. The perfect fit , twice. A big boom! A sonic boom. A celebratory boom.

It is good to recognize the faith and esteem with which you hold the American Higher Education System.
You should become an activist in the Govt. to begin a movement to reform College Football so animated are you. I simply do not believe this, either. At all. Apparently just about anyone,anyone, can work for NASA too. On the Space Shuttle even. Including- a ton of idiots.
I used to have a Chiropractor who won a scholarship as a place kicker for U of Michigan. He never mentioned his college days, not even once. It must be that I run in different circles, than you.

Once anything is capitalized, of course, there is going to be a dark side to the endeavor. If a few bucks can be made at at anything here, it will be done. It is the American way. And.The capitalization of any endeavor will produce harm to someone. This is inevitable.
Big business, Wall Street, (sporting teams cause Wall Street busts and booms), the NFL, the ground pollution which manufacturing produces, politics, sausage making, pharmaceutical companies, coal mining, deforestation. Whatever the endeavor might be, there will always be some collateral damage. To humans.

It is the American way to make money and there will always be collateral damage from exploitation and you are merely in the peanut gallery. The cheap seats. You are naive.
It is only a game.
Travel to South Bend, Indiana and convince them of your ideas. Better yet. Go to the Citydataforum
SouthBendIndiana and post your theories online there. Begin with - " Win one for the Gipper."
DGarcia is right. BOOM! Again! Louder than boom, KaPow! Whoosh! ShaZaam! Yayee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBaby View Post
BOOM

Old 09-12-2020, 02:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,588,849 times
Look at the bright side. Maybe with no professional sports for awhile, we'll realize that sports really aren't "needed" and we can use some that money to pay better salaries to teachers. Who really ARE needed.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:11 PM

2,911 posts, read 2,030,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Look at the bright side. Maybe with no professional sports for awhile, we'll realize that sports really aren't "needed" and we can use some that money to pay better salaries to teachers. Who really ARE needed.
Different pot of money....apples and oranges.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:11 PM

523 posts, read 493,337 times
Tied at 41 in San Marcos, heading into overtime

Old 09-14-2020, 05:04 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,035,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGarcia879 View Post
Tied at 41 in San Marcos, heading into overtime
That was an exciting finish, but it was a game that Texas State should have won in regulation, if the kicker had made the PAT.

Old 09-25-2020, 06:52 PM

523 posts, read 493,337 times
Middle Tennessee 3-0 UTSA

Start of 2nd

Old 09-26-2020, 05:46 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,401,828 times
UTSA 37 Middle Tennessee 35

Josh Adkins, a Smithson Valley graduate, came in late in the second half as the UTSA quarterback, to move the Roadrunners to 3-0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio