Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 04:20 PM

378 posts, read 1,441,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSA_wxatUIW View Post
Yeah San Pedro, the street, and 410, the freeway. I think he was talking about 281/410 also.

And no I don't think they'll ever be "ripping it up again to rebuild it for another 10 years".
The reason they changed it now is because 1) cloverleafs suck and 2) that used to be the means of "interchanging" from 410 eastbound to 281 northbound, and 281 southbound to 410 westbound, before they began constructing the new 281/410 direct ramp interchange.

Now, San Pedro can be a normal surface street with a nice new intersection without having to bear 410 and 281 traffic on a cloverleaf
No, they will rip it up again. For repair once the traffic beats it up they will repair it and sooner or later replace it but that's just life for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 05:45 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
I took the new San Pedro exit from 410 going west today. Like all exits I assumed the exit ramp would be on the right. But staying on the right takes you above San Pedro towards McCullough. I had to switch lanes illegally at the last second just to make the exit from the left lane. I feel like this is going to create some accidents, unfortunately.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM

657 posts, read 1,936,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I took the new San Pedro exit from 410 going west today. Like all exits I assumed the exit ramp would be on the right. But staying on the right takes you above San Pedro towards McCullough. I had to switch lanes illegally at the last second just to make the exit from the left lane. I feel like this is going to create some accidents, unfortunately.
There are at least two other places in town like this.... I-10 Northbound at Medical Drive, and I-410 Eastbound at Military Highway. I think texhwyman alluded that the reason is to keep those lights as far as possible from the Ramsay and Isom lights on San Pedro.

Besides why make the illegal lane change? It would only have taken a couple of more minutes to take the turnaround at McCllough. You would not have faced an additional light....

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
No, they will rip it up again. For repair once the traffic beats it up they will repair it and sooner or later replace it but that's just life for you.
Well, the good news here is that they've built it with concrete rather than asphalt, so it should last much longer before needing repair.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:30 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Quote:
Why would you assume that the exit would be on the right? You had already exited the freeway, so usually, there is no additional exit once you're on the access road. Yes, the old exit there was on the right, so if that's the case, I could understand. But at least now you know for next time.

In any case, if people read the big green overhead signs, which are visible from the moment you exit 410 so there's plenty of time to get in the correct lane, there won't be problems. Unfortunately, from what I see on the roads, a lot of people don't read signs anymore.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,077 times
yeah like the ones on 1604 that say SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT
and yet some idiot going 55mph in the left lane fails to see this
and even then you think that the mile long line of cars tailgating them would be a huge hint to move over, but no they just keep-on-a-truckin'

yeah people do tend to not read signs... or use common sense either

Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM

I haven't seen anything like this in San Antonio. It's not like Medical Drive because that's more like a typical bridge like many others in San Antonio. You turn left there so you expect to exit on the left. But there's an overpass at San Pedro.

Reading the signs might work for whatever portion of the 1% of drivers who are passing through San Antonio 410, AND exiting San Pedro. But for the 99+% of SA residents who are going to be using their common sense (as they should be), rather than reading signs, it might cause some accidents.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
We all know that the world's worst drivers live and work in SA

Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 PM

604 posts, read 1,871,077 times
Quote:
I haven't seen anything like this in San Antonio. It's not like Medical Drive because that's more like a typical bridge like many others in San Antonio. You turn left there so you expect to exit on the left. But there's an overpass at San Pedro.

Reading the signs might work for whatever portion of the 1% of drivers who are passing through San Antonio 410, AND exiting San Pedro. But for the 99+% of SA residents who are going to be using their common sense (as they should be), rather than reading signs, it might cause some accidents.
what???? that didn't even make sense!

and would common sense be reading the signs??
and I mean those signs are BIG, and loud and clear: San Pedro here, Blanco there (or McCullugh there). No, what wouldn't make sense would be to cut clear across the access road to reach San Pedro, swerving in and out of traffic at the last minute. They did this intersection RIGHT and I really don't see how anyone could have a problem with it, except for the fact that a little bit of construction is still taking place

Old 05-05-2008, 08:23 PM

Now that I think about it, I had exited at Blanco and was already on the access road in the right lane. Hopefully it's not as bad as I had thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio