Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 PM

545 posts, read 2,276,711 times

Advertisements

actually, according to this:

Smartest State 2006-2007

we were 25th in 06-07.

Now, as for the students you work with Hello...I seem to remember you saying at one point that you work at UTSA (and if I'm wrong on this, please correct me), and while I'm not trying to say anything about the general population at UTSA, it certainly isn't what I would consider a "traditional" university in the sense that there seems to be a higher percentage of older students as well as a high percentage of in-town students. Again, no disrespect to those of you who chose UTSA, but I would imagine you're not getting the top 10% of the students from most of the high schools in town.

There are plenty of other top-notch universities in town as well, so UTSA does have some competition for students. They're not the only game in town, and I would imagine that those students in the top 10% of their classes have scholarship offers from several of the other universities in town as well as some of those out of town.

So, it would be no surprise to me that UTSA might have a higher percentage of students who need to take some "college readiness" courses before they can dive into their university studies.

And again, I don't mean any disrespect to any UTSA alum/current students. I was a non-traditional student myself, and I stayed in my hometown to go to college, so I know this subject well...

Old 05-04-2008, 01:55 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,975,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post

And as far as facts go, isn't Texas' public education system ranked somewhere around 40 out of the 50 states?
Someone provided a link saying 25th. IDK what the real rank is but they would be better severed if they rated school districts. To lump all districts in a particular state is misleading.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,283,824 times
hey, California is moving up.. they were 49th (barely ahead of Mississippi) when my kids were suffering in their schools..

Old 05-04-2008, 02:30 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,386,295 times
And to think I could not understand HOW such a progressive state as California could ban homeschooling.... ....it is all PAINFULLY clear now!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:55 PM

39 posts, read 38,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
Everybody, I know my delivery was a bit colorful, but I thought it might have a more lighthearted tone than the alternatives! I've actually made quite a few positive and broad-sweeping generalizations about SA in the past (none of which have drawn ire, interestingly, given that they were dreaded generalizations). Among my positive views to share with the OP are that SA has nice weather, the people are unparalleled in their general friendliness, and housing costs less than it does in some other cities (although you don't the coolness that many of those cities have to offer).
So you say your "positive and broad-sweeping generalizations" is that SA has nice weather, friendly people and low cost of living. Wow, that sure is original and not at all uncommon. Seriously, it's like calling someone fat, ugly and stupid but when told to compliment them you say: "Well, you have nice shoes." How you can even equate "you have nice weather and cheap housing" to something like "If you've passed a third grade spelling bee you will not like San Antonio." as the same thing is quite disturbing.
Quote:
One other thing that I think that the OP should consider if she/he has children, is that, unless you are going to ensconce yourself in Alamo Heights or something, I'm not sure San Antonio is the best place to raise kids from an educational perspective. I recall a conversation I had with two good friends when I lived in California. One of my friends, who had two school age children, was contemplating a lucrative move to Fort Wayne, Indiana. My other friend said, "You do realize that you eventually take on the characteristics of the place you live. Your children will be socialized to become like the children they grow up around." Well, when this realization sank in, my friend decided to stay in California. I think a move to SA would be good for kids in the sense that they would be exposed to diversity, and they would be enculturated with warm values. On the downside, I would be hesitant to raise kids here because of the lower standards for education, and, in this increasingly competitive world, one may want to think twice about raising them in a culture that even the cheerleaders regard as being "slow" and "laid back," a place with a "small town feel" (which one can translate to "small town mentality&quot. That would be my biggest reservation. These are factors that I would consider, anyway. Hope this helps. Now, I'm sure that people will come on and say how strong the San Antonio schools are. Let me say that I make part of my living in SA teaching local university students, and, although quite enthusiastic, their preparedness for college-level work is abysmal compared to my former students in three other states.
You teach at UTSA, where over 60% of the college populous come from outside of San Antonio.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,626,625 times
There are many interesting posts in this thread that is trying to dissect whether San Antonio is nice or not. EVERYONE is going to have a different perspective on this city as EVERYONE has different life experiences that include home and outside environments. Add to that different personalities and how people look at life. So, no wonder some people see a city as a good or bad place to live. With that said:

San Antonio has both beauty and at the same time there is trash dumped in some areas. Is something being done about it? Yes, the city has bulk pick-up twice a year, but some people just don't want to wait or they're too cheap to take it to the dump. Are there good drivers here? Yes, but you only notice the bad ones. If ALL drivers are bad, then you would have chaos and traffic grid-lock due to all the accidents. The best remedy is to drive defensively. I'd like to finish on a positive note. In my last 18 years here, I've seen many improvements as the city grows with new people moving here. IMO, San Antonio is in its adolescence, and it will take many years to mature. Will it be like New York, Chicago, or other big cities? No, but as it is now, it will remain unique and will not appeal to everyone, but that is OK.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:40 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,614,815 times
I can't think of a finer post to end this thread with than yours Steel Man. I am convinced the OP has seen pretty much every angle one could ask for concerning the subject at hand and, as always, everyone's input was very much appreciated. Thanks folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio