Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 06:34 PM

1,241 posts, read 4,333,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topperone View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if many of those bashing SA aren't former posters here who have been banned.

Aside from that forum, which I couldn't find, this is a great forum to ask and get answers as well as Yahoo answers.

[MOD CUT]

You know, I didn't find anything either, Forgive me for saying so GIA but I don't think anyone is posting there but someone looking to get people to go to that site. So much for all these posts back and forth.

Old 05-03-2008, 10:00 PM

146 posts, read 517,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I can not speak for the "club" scene type of youth, because we are older than that....but as far as the education or great jobs statements, there are many of us on this board with degrees and skills that are living VERY comfortable lives in SA and do not leave because of the cost of living and all the city has to offer. In the past 5 years, the continued growth as all been for those that have skills and education, and they next 10 yrs inbound employers are all going to require the same.

My husband has been offered a HUGE promotion...but it requires moving to the DC area. We sat down and figured it out, and with the state taxes (none in TX) the cost of housing (4-5 times here) and the commute (you think WE have traffic issues!) we found that we would receive the HUGE promotion in name only...the cost and time that it would require would actually lower our standard of living. Besides, we would loose the charm, easy going, fun loving ways that San Antonio has to offer.

It's nice to be able to kick back, especially if you happen to have one of those jobs that can be a pressure cooker type of stress...the ying and the yang of life!

You made some good points. I like SA and would like to live there whenever it's possible for the move. But I don't see SA as a place I could live til' retirement since the salleries there generally seem to be so much lower than other cities of it's size. After living in SA for enough years to buy a house in more of a money-making city, I would probably not pass up the opportunity to leave SA and be better off financially in the long run. My wife is working on becomming an RN. From what I've gathered, RN's in SA make less than the US average, even less than the much smaller Springfield, IL. where we live. I transport for a medical lab. I'm guessing a blue collar job like that would pay very low in SA. The same job in Austin would pay around 15 an hour, but the headquarters is downtown in Austin which would put me at a long commute time, which I don't want.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:47 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
You made some good points. I like SA and would like to live there whenever it's possible for the move. But I don't see SA as a place I could live til' retirement since the salleries there generally seem to be so much lower than other cities of it's size. After living in SA for enough years to buy a house in more of a money-making city, I would probably not pass up the opportunity to leave SA and be better off financially in the long run. My wife is working on becomming an RN. From what I've gathered, RN's in SA make less than the US average, even less than the much smaller Springfield, IL. where we live. I transport for a medical lab. I'm guessing a blue collar job like that would pay very low in SA. The same job in Austin would pay around 15 an hour, but the headquarters is downtown in Austin which would put me at a long commute time, which I don't want.
The point I take issue on is that SA IS a place where you can earn a VERY NICE income if you are educated and with work ethic....I am a nurse and my DH is a professional and between us we make well into the 6 figures...without the issues of 1 1/2 hour commutes to and from work, 700k+ housing requirements, or state taxes. I prefer to enjoy the money, travel, save and invest vs being one of the "beltway" in crowd. Gratefully, there are those that want to live elsewhere, or we would be another NYC or LA or DC with people crawling over each other and housing SEVERELY inflated in price.

Give me my stars, my laid back beautiful city where I can do ANYTHING I need to do and all with a lot less hassle, cost and planning!

I wonder how many of those "educated" bashers of SA have even BEEN to any of our wonderful celebrations, facilities or offerings that make SAN ANTONIO the #1 ranked TOURIST destination for years and years now??? It is amazing, each and every time I tell someone I am from San Antonio in conversation in travel, if they have been here they ALWAYS say what a beautiful city it is and how they would like to come back...and I think it telling that a LOT of them can even tell me the YEAR they visited!!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:28 AM

74 posts, read 252,287 times
Default Thank you, I think.

Thank you to all those who answered my question. The other posts I will disregard. This is a forum of opinions. People should be able to voice their opinions here without getting bashed. [MOD EDIT: no one is removed from this site simply because they have something negative to say about a city or state] I come to this site because I want the truth, whether it is good or bad. When one is deciding to relocate, it is a huge decision. I want to know everything I can about the city, pros and cons, so I can make a solid decision. A city is what it is, deal with it. Don't mask it and make it out to be something it's not. I will have to form my own opinion on the city when I come in a few weeks. I will see for myself if it is a garbage-ridden cesspool(portrayal from other site) or a beautiful city, like is portrayed on this site.

Last edited by da jammer; 05-04-2008 at 12:35 PM..

Old 05-04-2008, 07:35 AM

I know of NOONE that has been banned by this site because they have something negative to say, and WONDER (yea, REALLY wonder) who's PM you got that idea from??

The moderators here are fair (and YES, they and I have agreed to disagree at times)...but they are FAIR and I think for ANYONE to suggest that someone was banned from this forum because they had something negative to say is just wrong....it is because you break the rules of the forum (and not just once but repeatedly) that you get banned.

I am also grateful that you will be here to see for yourself if this is the place where you can be happy and thrive...it is NOT for everyone (THANK GOD!)and if those that are so unhappy here had been willing to do the homework you are doing, they too might have made an informed decision that they could live happily with vs being totally miserable.

Last edited by Paka; 05-04-2008 at 08:02 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 07:37 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
"""""I will have to form my own opinion on the city when I come in a few weeks. I will see for myself if it is a garbage-ridden cesspool(portrayal from other site) or a beautiful city, like is portrayed on this site."""""

Sounds like you should've just done that in the first place.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
"""""I will have to form my own opinion on the city when I come in a few weeks. I will see for myself if it is a garbage-ridden cesspool(portrayal from other site) or a beautiful city, like is portrayed on this site."""""

Sounds like you should've just done that in the first place.
Yeah, that would have been ideal, but not possible. I thought I would use the time I had, to research as much as I could, until we could get there.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
No, but these are people who live there.

I don't know if I can post the website here. It is bestplaces.com.
Sorry everyone, it is Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:29 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes View Post
Sorry everyone, it is Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
Strange, I went to the same sight and there is very little posted nice about where you are currently living except from those born and raised there....are you surprised by that????

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:28 AM..

Old 05-04-2008, 10:28 AM

39 posts, read 39,079 times
This comment I found in one of the posts at Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed should tell you what that site has to offer.

Quote:
Poor Mexicans account for roughly 60% of the population- and almost all the crime in San Antonio is committed by this race
Seriously, that was posted on there.

Last edited by Yac; 06-10-2008 at 04:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio