U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:38 PM

2,884 posts, read 4,336,453 times

Advertisements

Is any body on this board doing the MS150 Bike to the Beach?

I did it in 2005 & 2006, and today did my first training ride for this year's MS150. I wanted to start this thread just to share training and ride experiences with other people either doing it for the first time or who are veterans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 11:41 PM

45 posts, read 173,625 times
I am going to do it for the first time this year. Do you already have a team? How are you patterning your training rides?

Old 05-04-2008, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerosincero View Post
I am going to do it for the first time this year. Do you already have a team? How are you patterning your training rides?
I've always done it with Team Carabin and Shaw. My friend who worked there and got us involved on their team recently got let go by them, so I don't know if I am going to be able to ride on their team or not.

My training pattern is simple: I try to do at least two or three 14 to 20 mile rides during the week, then do at least one 40 mile on the weekend.

I haven't ridden in several months, so I have to build up to the 40 mile ride over the next month or so.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:03 AM

The trick, though, is to not focus on distance. It is time on the seat. Get your butt used to being on that bike seat for several hours.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:24 AM

469 posts, read 1,024,115 times
My husband was a SAG driver last year. I was supposed to go with him but ended up getting really sick so he went alone. If we are still here in SA in October we will be doing it again I'm sure.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
My husband was a SAG driver last year. I was supposed to go with him but ended up getting really sick so he went alone. If we are still here in SA in October we will be doing it again I'm sure.
As a rider, I cannot tell you how much we appreciate the SAGS!!!

Old 05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,571,359 times
We're not riders, but my son and I have helped in Beeville the last two years. I can't say how impressed we've always been with the selflessness, strength and endurance of the riders.
Happy Riding! See you in Beeville.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:06 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,986,455 times
What are some good cycle clubs to join in SA or how would you find out about local rides? There is a ride this coming Sat starting at Botanical Gardens and going to the Missions... 26 miles but I don't know the name of the ride or when it starts. Bike World had one yesterday at Blue Star to the Missions and King William... 10 miles.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
What are some good cycle clubs to join in SA or how would you find out about local rides? There is a ride this coming Sat starting at Botanical Gardens and going to the Missions... 26 miles but I don't know the name of the ride or when it starts. Bike World had one yesterday at Blue Star to the Missions and King William... 10 miles.
One of the best in SA is the San Antonio Wheelmen. You can check out their site here:

San Antonio Wheelmen - S.A.'s Premier

They offer support for riders at all levels, and you can pretty much find out info about any ride in or around SA from their site.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:31 PM

45 posts, read 173,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
The trick, though, is to not focus on distance. It is time on the seat. Get your butt used to being on that bike seat for several hours.
My wife and I are riding with the Clear Channel Team, and the guy organizing it is really doing a good job planning rides that get people ready to go sooner rather than later. Anyone interested in joining is welcome.

We went from Camp Bullis to Edge Falls last weekend for 56 miles, which was exactly 16 miles more than I had ever done at one time. In those last 16 miles, I had time as I struggled over hill and dale to reflect on every bad eating decision I had made in the past year. It also didn't help that I had about 9 hours of sleep over the previous couple of days. Even under ideal conditions, I need all the energy I can get to carry my butt through the hill country, and the first few miles into a headwind sapped me pretty good, but there is no better feeling of knowing that you finished, even if you crawled in.

Right now I am looking for a good on-line resource, preferably with video, that goes over techniques for riding. Not safety tips, but little tricks of the trade that help you become a more efficient rider. I have noticed when I have been out on similar rides that there are perhaps a handful of folks that I perceive to be in even worse shape than me, but some of them are still at the head of the pack. I think some of it has to be better technique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio