Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 115,826 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any info on affordable home alarmsecurity systems. I would prefer not to deal with ADT.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 02:11 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,426,326 times
I signed up with HAWK last month and am pretty pleased.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I signed up with HAWK last month and am pretty pleased.
I have Hawk, too. The service is only slightly cheaper than the ADT it replaced.

I have read online about issues with the company auto-renewing contracts for the full term at each service call. That's something I need to check on.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 PM

993 posts, read 2,490,731 times
Is there a local company that can you use the ADT or Brinks keypads?

Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM

314 posts, read 832,327 times
There are a bunch of on-line UL approve monitoring sites...

A cop friend of mine says don't pay for monitoring, just get something that makes a lot of noise.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:36 PM

475 posts, read 1,093,957 times
Since you can always hire a local company to fix any issues with your alarm system, I would recommend the following company (or one like it) for your monitoring. Most of the time, a local alarm company is contracting with a monitoring company anyway, so you can save some money by going direct.

Alarm Relay Inc.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Location: I live south of San Antonio in a place called Atascosa.
854 posts, read 2,544,815 times
My mom and dad have a security system. I don't know which one. When they go out of town they alway's tell me about what I have to do. Numbers and key's--I guess they feel safe with me watching over everything but shouldn't the security system do that? Last week we had a bad storm. My power was out for about 4 hours. My mom and dads power was out too. They didn't know it, they were asleep. They get a phone call early in the morning. Some guy wanting some numbers. My mom didn't know what he was talking about and hung up. He called back but my dad is deaf as a stump and anyway he needed to pee. They finally realized it was the security people but they couldn't give them the security number because they taped it next to the telephone in the kitchen and everything was totally dark. No power! The power came back on eventually and everything was fine.

Old 02-02-2012, 05:59 PM

20 posts, read 47,654 times
Totally agree that non-monitored alarm systems are the way to go. My husband and I got trapped under a two year contract with ADT (then Brinks), and it was extremely painful paying the bill on top of the land-line phone that we didn't want anymore. You can always attach the monitored alarm to your cell phone, but that's an extra charge each month.

(Side note- the dinging sound the doors/windows made we opened them were extremely disturbing to the baby we had after installing the alarm-- any potential safety we had was overruled by our need for sleep)

Old 07-15-2012, 07:09 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Had ADT at one time....overpriced, gimmicky, and slow to respond on alarms. Never again.

Old 07-15-2012, 04:05 PM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times
My wife has to use ADT at work and she has nothing but complaints about them.
They're also expensive compared to some other companies.

I have a Brinks system in a house I just bought and I've been trying to figure out my options and they seem to be ADT, or install a new system.

So, in my spare time (ha!), I've been trying to do some research on other systems to install or have installed or other companies but haven't had much luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio