Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2020, 06:35 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,017,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
The ridiculous part is that they claim they will enforce 24/7. The restrictions should only be during rush hour. I’ve only used it once and yes I had someone else in the car.
It should be enforced 24/7. There is no reason at all someone without a passenger should be using that lane, especially during non-rush hour traffic. There are 3 other lanes to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2020, 07:34 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,355,401 times
The primary violation I've seen with the HOV lanes on I-10 outside 1604 are the usual suspects using it as a passing lane. Have seen multiple incidents where someone is in the inside 3rd GP lane, and will swerve into the HOV lane, crossing the double white lines, pass, then swerve back over the double white lines into the 3rd GP lane. They are looking a multiple citations when SAPD finally does start enforcement. (HOV lane violation, illegal lane change, speed, etc.)

They should enforce it 24/7. It is a purpose built HOV lane, not a metered lane.

Old 12-07-2020, 07:56 AM

11,682 posts, read 7,832,405 times
Some places enforce them 24x7. Others only enforce them during rush hour - inbound in the morning / outbound in the evening. The extra lane sure helps local traffic in during off-peak hours but it sucks when there is a traffic jam and you technically have two or more people and want to get somewhere faster. What really sucks are those places that don’t separate them with any kind of barrier which allows traffic to either use them as passing lanes or cut in front of traffic unexpectedly. Most of the ones in TX have those pylons, like U.S 75 (Dallas) and I-45 (Houston) to prevent that. The older HOV lanes TX implemented were completely segregated by concrete barriers but were also unforgivingly narrow.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:42 AM

6,691 posts, read 8,714,974 times
I may be in the minority here but I feel that all lanes (if funded by the taxpayer) can be used by the said taxpayer without any limitations.

Having HOV is another thing that the police has to enforce on the highway and probably most of them don't care to.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:31 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,355,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
I may be in the minority here but I feel that all lanes (if funded by the taxpayer) can be used by the said taxpayer without any limitations.

Having HOV is another thing that the police has to enforce on the highway and probably most of them don't care to.
It is done to encourage carpooling, thus taking additional cars off the road, and further preventing congestion. You can drive in the HOV lane all you want, just have someone else with you.

Don't know if you regularly drive the I-10 corridor between say Fair Oaks Ranch, and 1604, but it has historically been one of the highest congestion areas over the last decade. For the morning rush, if you weren't out the door by 6:30 AM, you were in a parking lot from Boerne Stage Rd, to 1604. Same with the evening commute from around the Dominion Drive exit, through Ralph Fair Rd. The additional GP lane, and HOV lanes have eliminated those slow downs. Traffic flows at speed through both areas during the morning, and evening rush hours.

Old 12-07-2020, 02:48 PM

2,911 posts, read 2,017,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
It is done to encourage carpooling, thus taking additional cars off the road, and further preventing congestion. You can drive in the HOV lane all you want, just have someone else with you.

Don't know if you regularly drive the I-10 corridor between say Fair Oaks Ranch, and 1604, but it has historically been one of the highest congestion areas over the last decade. For the morning rush, if you weren't out the door by 6:30 AM, you were in a parking lot from Boerne Stage Rd, to 1604. Same with the evening commute from around the Dominion Drive exit, through Ralph Fair Rd. The additional GP lane, and HOV lanes have eliminated those slow downs. Traffic flows at speed through both areas during the morning, and evening rush hours.
Yep....a godsend! Now let's get ready for 5 years of construction on 1604!

Old 12-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post

I may feel differently about the benefit of HOV if I was in your situation but I am not.

Eventually, most of us may have to consider carpooling or using public transportation at the current growth rate.

Old 12-07-2020, 05:45 PM

61,197 posts, read 86,065,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
It's San Antonio. Some people just "no habla ingles...".
Not sure about that. It's most likely the general attitude: "I don't care about the rules."

Old 12-07-2020, 05:55 PM

61,197 posts, read 86,065,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
It should be enforced 24/7. There is no reason at all someone without a passenger should be using that lane, especially during non-rush hour traffic. There are 3 other lanes to use.

Exactly. If there is no "rush hour" then traffic on regular lanes isn't heavy. No reason to use HOV lanes.

Old 12-07-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
1) How can it be enforced during nighttime with our tint laws?

2) As a taxpayer who paid for the roads just like yourself did, I will use the HOV lane if there is no traffic at all during non peak hours. No law should say you can’t ever use the lane during non peak hours IMHO. We are not talking about toll roads here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio