Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 07:24 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
Just as a note, while $6 dollars per gallon seems like alot and shocking to us now (hell, two years ago when gas was $1.50, I bet $3.75 seemed unreal too. It will definitely be $6 and probably more like $8. The price of gasoline still hasn't caught up with the price of oil on the market yet. We're letting gas out of the reserves but when it becomes feasible to no longer do that, you're really going to see why we need to take a lot bigger steps to free ourselves.

I live in the city of Akron and where I live, there are many stores around within 3 miles. My college is also within 5 miles. I've taken to biking to things as much as I need -- I'm not attempting an overall biking revolution, I'm simply trying to save money on my own and I can't tell you how much money I've been saving just not going to the video store in my car 3 miles away. It's been such a great experience. Just have an ipod on you cause it can get boring!

Electric biking would be so neat. Good luck to all.

As much as I agree with advocating bicycling to offset the price at the pump, it is not nearly as feasible in San Antonio as it is in ohter places. For one, the simple fact of how spread out this city is discourages commmuting for most folks. Secondly, there is the heat. Thirdly, traffic and the lack of real bicycle paths makes it dangerous to travel many routes.

I also want to point out that it is illegal to ride on public roads with headphones on!

I used to bicycle commute in Belgium, and loved it. Yes, it did save me a lot on gas; but the circumstances here just don't allow me the opportunity to ride the 17+ miles to Lackland and be at work at 6am.

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 07:28 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Great post guyd78! Sending ya virtual reps, since I haven't spread the love enough lately.

I got my scooter this weekend! It's an old ('81) Honda Express, much like one my husband bought for me brand new back in '82 when we were dating (different color, tho). It needs some work and TLC, gonna paint it purple (ha! imagine that! ), but I like that I'm able to "reuse" something that someone else no longer wanted. I'm so excited about it! As a stay at home mom, most of my trips are close by (mapped the library ~ which is my furtherest trip right now ~ and it's under 7 miles! Yea!!!), so my mini van will sit parked and unused 98% of the time.

Now we're on the look out for more, since they're only 49cc my middle school age kids want one, too!!

Old 05-08-2008, 07:42 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Great post guyd78! Sending ya virtual reps, since I haven't spread the love enough lately.

I got my scooter this weekend! It's an old ('81) Honda Express, much like one my husband bought for me brand new back in '82 when we were dating (different color, tho). It needs some work and TLC, gonna paint it purple (ha! imagine that! ), but I like that I'm able to "reuse" something that someone else no longer wanted. I'm so excited about it! As a stay at home mom, most of my trips are close by (mapped the library ~ which is my furtherest trip right now ~ and it's under 7 miles! Yea!!!), so my mini van will sit parked and unused 98% of the time.

Now we're on the look out for more, since they're only 49cc my middle school age kids want one, too!!
Congrats on your purchase. Too bad I live so far from everything.
Watch out for those big ol' F250's out there

Last edited by TXtrkgrl; 05-08-2008 at 08:24 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 08:11 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
guyd- a man after my own heart!

I'm not driving a scooter in SA, but that's because nearly all my trips involve a kid. So I'm stuck with my hybrid or walking (which we do as much as possible). I smile too when the gas prices go up. I'm just shocked it's still not enough incentive for people to truly change their ways (see my "I have a dream" post )

I don't think Hummers are all that safe either - like SUVs and big trucks, the drivers think they're safer, and so do stupid things.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
guyd- a man after my own heart!

I'm not driving a scooter in SA, but that's because nearly all my trips involve a kid. So I'm stuck with my hybrid or walking (which we do as much as possible). I smile too when the gas prices go up. I'm just shocked it's still not enough incentive for people to truly change their ways (see my "I have a dream" post )

I don't think Hummers are all that safe either - like SUVs and big trucks, the drivers think they're safer, and so do stupid things.
You keep talking about drivers of SUV's and big trucks being "stupid". I'm glad that you are PERFECT!

I think that every individual is different and it doesn't matter what they drive. You have no right to call anyone stupid or say they do 'stupid' things because of what they drive.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Congrats on your purchase. Too bad I live so far from everything.
What out for those big ol' F250's out there
You are too funny!! Actually, heard about a scooter rider who was hit by a Lexus that was speeding thru his neighborhood. Apparently there was some sort of Lexus enthusiast group that found out his neighborhood had all these great curves and such and decided to kind of "road race" thru it. Hit the scooter rider at a high rate of speed (don't remember the MPH, but it was high). Put the guy in a coma, even tho he was wearing a helmet. So yeah, I'ma definitely be careful!!

Old 05-08-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
You keep talking about drivers of SUV's and big trucks being "stupid". I'm glad that you are PERFECT!

I think that every individual is different and it doesn't matter what they drive. You have no right to call anyone stupid or say they do 'stupid' things because of what they drive.

Take a chill pill.

There are stupid drivers everywhere. I've seen and heard far too many drivers of large vehicles talk about how they're 'safe' because they have a large vehicle. It's often used as a justification for buying a large car. Yet, they don't realize they're no more safe if they don't drive safely.

Not all SUV drivers are stupid. The stupid ones are the ones who drive stupidly, and happen to have a large heavy vehicle to cause more damage to others.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Take a chill pill.

There are stupid drivers everywhere. I've seen and heard far too many drivers of large vehicles talk about how they're 'safe' because they have a large vehicle. It's often used as a justification for buying a large car. Yet, they don't realize they're no more safe if they don't drive safely.

Not all SUV drivers are stupid. The stupid ones are the ones who drive stupidly, and happen to have a large heavy vehicle to cause more damage to others.
Pill taken~

edited: deleted comment, not worth it~

Last edited by TXtrkgrl; 05-08-2008 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 08:46 AM

152 posts, read 412,298 times
There are inconciderate drivers who drive large SUV's, and there are inconciderate riders who ride motorcycles/scooters. Either of these inconciderate people make the road unsafe for all road users.

When it comes to safety a two wheeled open vehicle is less safe. In an accident I would rather be in an enclosed 4-wheel vehicle. However, I am willing to take the risks of riding a scooter, because I like knowing I am not handing more money than necessary to the oil companies, and my impact on the Earth is a lot less in doing so. Others may not be willing, or in a setting, to take that risk, so fine.

Each persons situation is going to be different, in many manners, but that doesn't give anyone a "right" to be arrogant and/or inconciderate towards the Earth and those they occupy it with.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Pill taken~ Funny you never mention the "stupid" hybrid drivers who tailgate me so closely that I only see their roof. You are right, stupid drivers are everywhere but you only seem to see the ones who drive SUV's and trucks.
I don't see a lot of hybrid drivers in Texas period. A few more now than before, but not many. The # of SUVs and trucks far far out number the hybrid drivers, so statistically, one is going to see more of them.

In addition, due simply to their size, the big vehicle drivers are going to cause more damage to the other car.

Quote:
I would love to be able to walk to my destinations, I think it is great what you are doing to help the environment. I agree with you on a lot of points. Just please don't talk bad about others. I do know that I am safer in my truck than you are in your car but that doesn't mean that I am going to do stupid things while I'm driving, I know that I am not invincible. I drive the same whether I'm driving my F250 or my Jeep TJ.
I don't mean to sound harsh, but I know this is going to: It's not all about you. My posts aren't personal. If it doesn't apply to you, you've no reason to take offense.

Bad drivers are bad drivers. I'm not going to talk positively about them.

From an environmental perspective I am bothered by people who choose to use a fuel inefficient vehicle for no other reason than because they want to, because it affects everyone, including future generations. I have that right.

There are, however, many many things we can all do to protect our environment, controlling emissions and minimizing fuel use is only part of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio