Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:48 AM

734 posts, read 3,015,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I've so noticed that, too. In all my travels, San Antonio seems to be the only city with a DUI/DWT problem.
Seriously?

Press: DUI/DWI - - press release for State Estimates of Persons Aged 18 or Older Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Illicit Drugs, SAMHSA, Office of Applied Studies

According to this, Texas is right in the middle of the list - about 24 out of 51 (DC included.)

I'd say that our city is taking notice of it and not making it back page news. It happens in all cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 08:49 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Seriously?

Press: DUI/DWI - - press release for State Estimates of Persons Aged 18 or Older Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol or Illicit Drugs, SAMHSA, Office of Applied Studies

According to this, Texas is right in the middle of the list - about 24 out of 51 (DC included.)

I'd say that our city is taking notice of it and not making it back page news. It happens in all cities.
I think she was being sarcastic

Old 05-08-2008, 09:02 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd78 View Post
There are inconciderate drivers who drive large SUV's, and there are inconciderate riders who ride motorcycles/scooters. Either of these inconciderate people make the road unsafe for all road users.

When it comes to safety a two wheeled open vehicle is less safe. In an accident I would rather be in an enclosed 4-wheel vehicle. However, I am willing to take the risks of riding a scooter, because I like knowing I am not handing more money than necessary to the oil companies, and my impact on the Earth is a lot less in doing so. Others may not be willing, or in a setting, to take that risk, so fine.

Each persons situation is going to be different, in many manners, but that doesn't give anyone a "right" to be arrogant and/or inconciderate towards the Earth and those they occupy it with.

Thank you I couldn't have said it better myself . I tried to rep ya, but I have to spread the love first.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:06 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_Mom View Post
Seriously?

You didn't get the memo. Whenever I use I'm oozing sarcasm.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 AM

152 posts, read 412,298 times
Some individuals on this forum tend to go back and forth in a non-constructive manner. Personally, I'm using these forums to become better informed, and to try to educate others in a positive and non-threatening or degrading manner in any way that I can. You won't get any harsh words from me. Only insight that I believe can be helpful - even if lacking in quantity. It's nice knowing I'm not alone in this either as I've seen others demonstrating this route quite well.

I believe everyone could benefit from this calculator in one way or another:

Carbon Footprint - Calculate, Reduce and Offset - Carbon Footprint Calculator

Leave only your footprints.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyd78 View Post
Some individuals on this forum tend to go back and forth in a non-constructive manner. Personally, I'm using these forums to become better informed, and to try to educate others in a positive and non-threatening or degrading manner in any way that I can. You won't get any harsh words from me. Only insight that I believe can be helpful - even if lacking in quantity. It's nice knowing I'm not alone in this either as I've seen others demonstrating this route quite well.

I believe everyone could benefit from this calculator in one way or another:

Carbon Footprint - Calculate, Reduce and Offset - Carbon Footprint Calculator

Leave only your footprints.
Thanks for the link. My footprint was smaller than the country's avg .

As someone mentioned earlier, it makes a huge difference to lay off the skinny pedal while driving. I have been doing this and it has helped. My dh carpools with two others so he only has to drive to work every three weeks. My teenage daughter only drives to school when absolutely necessary, otherwise she rides the big yellow limo . We have all been doing this for over a year now (except the part about me slowing down ).
I think that people will be changing their way of thinking. I don't see gas prices going down at all, so we have to cut back somewhere.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:31 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
As much as I agree with advocating bicycling to offset the price at the pump, it is not nearly as feasible in San Antonio as it is in ohter places. For one, the simple fact of how spread out this city is discourages commmuting for most folks. Secondly, there is the heat. Thirdly, traffic and the lack of real bicycle paths makes it dangerous to travel many routes.

I also want to point out that it is illegal to ride on public roads with headphones on!

I used to bicycle commute in Belgium, and loved it. Yes, it did save me a lot on gas; but the circumstances here just don't allow me the opportunity to ride the 17+ miles to Lackland and be at work at 6am.

Cheers! M2

17 miles is a bit of a trek and I wouldn't ride that far everyday either, (though occasionally I would -- my personal record is 75 miles round trip) -- I have noted your headphone advice -- I usually have it on low so I can hear traffic -- I suppose it's similar to being in a car with music on a bit loud -- except you need to be very aware, but with biking, you should be used to being very aware.

The biggest problem I have is where I am from, there are no bicycle paths either -- you must trust yourself and the other drivers to a high degree and some, including my fiancee, are very nervous by this. When you've biked as much as I have, it doesn't phase you much but the danger is still there.

I live for the day when enough bikers claim the streets that they're given far more respect than they are now. (On Facebook, I've noticed groups advocating the throwing items on, and spitting upon bikers as you pass - how American, eh? I've never had that happen to me but I have very rude drivers honk their horns right next to you and laugh -- hoping they will misguide you. These are things which make me believe a true bi-cycle, moped revolution is a bit further away!)

I have been reading your guys' posts on these scooters and SmartCar's and I will definitely be looking into them, along with laws which moped riders must abide by. Has anyone ever had trouble on these scooters? Thanks!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Thanx for the link guyd78! I like that one better than some of the others I've seen. Figured the average for our household, and while it's smaller than the national average, it's still too huge for me. Otherhalf's flights for work pretty much do us in, and since I don't see that changing drastically anytime soon I'm trying to implement other ways to "save".

The thing about gas prices going up is that not only does it effect us at the gas pump (not to mention the effect to the planet), but everywhere else as well. Some of the things I personally am committed to focusing on are buying local food every time it's possible (and growing our own), reduce/reuse to a drastic degree, turned that darned a/c thermostat up ~ AGAIN, "at home" entertainment...... there's a ton more that's on my list.........

(And thanx for your commitment to helping others in a positive, non-threatening or degrading manner! I've noticed that in your posts and highly respect that! It's something so many of us ~ myself included ~ could learn from. )

Old 05-08-2008, 09:50 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I have been reading your guys' posts on these scooters and SmartCar's and I will definitely be looking into them, along with laws which moped riders must abide by. Has anyone ever had trouble on these scooters? Thanks!
Ya know, Otherhalf said that if you're riding a "bike" under 50cc you don't need a motorcycle license, but I've never checked in to that. M2 ~ you've always got all the city code and everything, any input?

And Puddy4LyF, after I get my scooter zoomin' I'll letcha know if I have any trouble.

Edit ~ nevermind, found some info ~ Texas Department of Public Safety - Courtesy, Service, Protection (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/mopedinfo.htm - broken link) (JULES! Remember! Google is your friend!)

Last edited by jules07; 05-08-2008 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: duh. google.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:03 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Thanks for the link. My footprint was smaller than the country's avg .

As someone mentioned earlier, it makes a huge difference to lay off the skinny pedal while driving. I have been doing this and it has helped. My dh carpools with two others so he only has to drive to work every three weeks. My teenage daughter only drives to school when absolutely necessary, otherwise she rides the big yellow limo . We have all been doing this for over a year now (except the part about me slowing down ).
I think that people will be changing their way of thinking. I don't see gas prices going down at all, so we have to cut back somewhere.

Carbon footprint calculator was going well up to the point that it asked for my flight itineraries... bahahahahaha! I have close to 30 itineraries booked for the rest of the year...they will only let me enter 5. Guess my footprint is HUUUUGE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio