Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 12:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,389 times

Advertisements

Hey!

So, we are moving to SA later this year we think....I searched the forum and was not able to find any recent information regarding breed restrictions in SA or surrounding areas. I know legislation is changed often, so figured best to ask. Is there certain areas, housing divisions, municipalities, etc. which prohibit specific breeds?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 01:02 PM

6,691 posts, read 8,699,880 times
I have never seen breed restrictions on the municipal level in San Antonio, but some private owned housing options do have it.

Quote:
Texas is one of seventeen states that prohibits its municipalities from passing breed-specific legislation (BSL) or breed bans. Breed bans are laws that prohibit specific breeds of dogs based on characteristics, like the way the dog looks or the shape of its head.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:17 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,928,646 times
are you planning to rent or purchase? Usually there are restrictions on various aggressive breeds from specific rental companies (I would say majority due to insurance/liability); HOA's typically but not usually from a city perspective. You'll want to contact whatever specific use you'll have (ie contact apartment community or property manager if renting; check HOA if buying and also whoever your home owners insurance provider will be)

Old 02-21-2021, 08:09 PM

9,843 posts, read 13,568,881 times
If you are renting Roscoe properties has no breed restrictions. They have a few properties in town. I lived at one off Wurzbach and Bandera. It was an older building and my AC went out once but they were quick to fix things.

Old 02-22-2021, 06:12 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,103,870 times
Most apartments will have them so I suggest if renting to stay away from those breeds. Boxers are wonderful family pets and not restricted in most rentals.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:29 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,011,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Most apartments will have them so I suggest if renting to stay away from those breeds. Boxers are wonderful family pets and not restricted in most rentals.
I love Boxers! And you are right, they are good family dogs. I have never met an aggressive Boxer.

Old 02-22-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I love Boxers! And you are right, they are good family dogs. I have never met an aggressive Boxer.
I’ve seen some aggressive boxers; aggressively seeking love and attention.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
are you planning to rent or purchase? Usually there are restrictions on various aggressive breeds from specific rental companies (I would say majority due to insurance/liability); HOA's typically but not usually from a city perspective. You'll want to contact whatever specific use you'll have (ie contact apartment community or property manager if renting; check HOA if buying and also whoever your home owners insurance provider will be)
We plan to purchase, but may have to rent when we initially move until we decide which area we would be most comfortable in. We only have a beagle mix right now, but my husband will want a pit once we finally retire from the Army and won't have the requirements of moving every 3 yrs.

Side note for those that mentioned boxers! They are very nice looking dogs, but I've known people who have had them and they DROOOOOOOOL ALOT!

Old 02-23-2021, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp24 View Post
We plan to purchase, but may have to rent when we initially move until we decide which area we would be most comfortable in. We only have a beagle mix right now, but my husband will want a pit once we finally retire from the Army and won't have the requirements of moving every 3 yrs.

Side note for those that mentioned boxers! They are very nice looking dogs, but I've known people who have had them and they DROOOOOOOOL ALOT!
Wait until y’all purchase if you’re really worried. There are places without breed restrictions, but working with a realtor or locator will help you find a place without breed restrictions. My parents rented a great house and had a Rottweiler when we moved back here in 2001. It was just a private owner.

Old 02-23-2021, 06:28 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,103,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I’ve had boxers all my life. I have only met one aggressive boxer at some random place. And when we were shopping for one to adopt, there was one who had been abused and basically left for dead that wasn’t ok around other animals.

Besides those two, I think they are the ultimate breed for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: