U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,480,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
If we had adequate social services for folks, then that would eliminate the need for panhandling. Many of the homeless are mentally ill.
Absolutely!
It's a catch 22 sometimes: they are mentally ill but they can't get an appointment until 2 months later, won't take their meds, can't get better to find employment, housing that is kind to their history. It's all a cycle that needs many interventions.
Last I heard Texas ranks in the 40s in terms of mental health services to their citizens.

Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM

6,878 posts, read 18,224,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
I just got back from Mexico. Seeing the poverty levels down there has made me think twice about ever giving money to people here. Sorry but if you're in your mid 30's to 40's and you claim you've "had it rough"....cry me a river.

I must've given out the equivalent of 30-40 dollars to 70-80 yr old women begging on the streets of Mexico. They deserve it since the Mexican government isn't structured to take care of elderly. That, plus the famished children just begging for food.....they deserve a hand out.

If you can walk up and down the streets on your own will....get off your lazy rear and do something with your life!
Exactly!

Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,063 times
as a homeless woman, myself, I obviously feel the need to educate you all on the homeless matter...There are 3 classes of homeless...The first being those who want to be, and secondly, those who choose to be and thirdly those who have to be... In 2008 i lost everything and had to walk away from it all with the clothes on my back, and nowhere to go....Did I CHOOSE to live on the streets? Did I WANT to be on the streets? Did I HAVE to be on the streets..

i am a 52 yr old homeless woman. I have been on the streets due to the economy and job loss all at once.I didnt CHOOSE to nor did I WANT to live here for almost 2 years.. I was forced out because of the economy and job loss at the same time
All the time I have spent on the streets I have not found it necassary to hold up the perverbial sign as a way to make money..I was a person of integrity before streets and stay that way now. I choose to be honest with my needs and that in itself helps, but not always.... though it has been difficult for me to find employment due to getting my wallet stolen,I have tried (thought sometimes not so successfully) to stay as honest as I can with those I present my needs to.. not every one is willing to help, but those who do are gratefully appreciated..And one question to you, who havent lost everything YET...what if were you? think before you judge because it could be you or someone you know..

Last edited by different beat; 04-17-2010 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: added more info..

Old 04-17-2010, 09:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,023,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by different beat View Post
as a homeless woman, myself, I obviously feel the need to educate you all on the homeless matter...There are 3 classes of homeless...The first being those who want to be, and secondly, those who choose to be and thirdly those who have to be... In 2008 i lost everything and had to walk away from it all with the clothes on my back, and nowhere to go....Did I CHOOSE to live on the streets? Did I WANT to be on the streets? Did I HAVE to be on the streets..

i am a 52 yr old homeless woman. I have been on the streets due to the economy and job loss all at once.I didnt CHOOSE to nor did I WANT to live here for almost 2 years.. I was forced out because of the economy and job loss at the same time
All the time I have spent on the streets I have not found it necassary to hold up the perverbial sign as a way to make money..I was a person of integrity before streets and stay that way now. I choose to be honest with my needs and that in itself helps, but not always.... though it has been difficult for me to find employment due to getting my wallet stolen,I have tried (thought sometimes not so successfully) to stay as honest as I can with those I present my needs to.. not every one is willing to help, but those who do are gratefully appreciated..And one question to you, who havent lost everything YET...what if were you? think before you judge because it could be you or someone you know..

Amazing!

You are right there are definitely classifications of the homeless.

Thanks for sharing your story. Since you put some heart into what you said....I want to also say that I've been homeless myself.

My dad, brother and I were all homeless at times when me and my brother were children. Yes, children, not adults. It's a very long story. But long story short, we made it through and we are here and kicking.

Don't listen to the idiots who say all homeless people choose to be in that situation. Those are just ignorant people and not worth your time.

***1 out of 3 homeless men ARE VETERANS. That's something to think about.

PS. If you need any information on something, let me know. I know of food pantries, and other miscellaneous things like Carelink for medical and doctor visits for low-income and the San Antonio Christian Dental Clinic which provides completely free dental work.

Just let me know and I can tell you more.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:59 AM

1 posts, read 1,039 times
A couple of years ago, back in Little River SC (yes Little River SC) is where first encounter of giving to a Pan Handler was a bad ideal. I didn't actually give to the pan handler however the vehicle in front of me did. I guess it was about the time for her to quit for the day. Observing for a distance, I witnessed her getting in a clean, new model, drop top, BMW and driving away. My second encounter was in New Jersey. This pan handler approached me for money with the claim the he was hungry and the money was going to be used for food. With the thought of the event from SC in my head I decided not to give him money instead I decided to take him to a fast food place and buy him food. Just before ordering his food he tells me that he just needed the money to buy alchohol.
To make a long story short there are some pan handles that are truly homeless and need the money to better themselves but that are some that will make it bad for all needy ones. Which is which>>> My suggestion is save your money. If you want to give, give food, cloth, etc.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,295,769 times
Srsly I have NEVER seen a "homeless" person hop into a luxury vehicle after scoring a buck off a motorist??? What corner are they working cause it sounds incredibly profitable if they are riding in BMWs, Mercedes, and Escalades.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:13 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,713,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Srsly I have NEVER seen a "homeless" person hop into a luxury vehicle after scoring a buck off a motorist??? What corner are they working cause it sounds incredibly profitable if they are riding in BMWs, Mercedes, and Escalades.
If it's that profitable, they should start teaching "Panhandling" in college

Old 04-18-2010, 09:55 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by different beat View Post

Just my opinion, but if your circumstances are as dire as you state; then maybe it would be a better application of your time and the use of the Internet to try and improve your situation instead of posting responses on a forum.

As for panhandling, the bottom line is that it is illegal and not enough effort is being made to stop those who are doing it. There are other resources to help those who need it, and begging for money at intersections is not the solution; which is why I refuse to give anything to those who do.

Secondly, it is a very dangerous activity not only for those doing it but motorists who have yet another obstacle to concentrate on while driving through an already dangerous situation (intersections are commonly the scenes of accidents).

So, if you are indeed homeless and in need of assistance, then please use your opportunities to use a computer to find those agencies who can help you through your problems!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,713,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Just my opinion, but if your circumstances are as dire as you state; then maybe it would be a better application of your time and the use of the Internet to try and improve your situation instead of posting responses on a forum.
How do you know that she's not taking a break from doing that?
or do you work 16 hours a day?

Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
It doesn't matter how much I work...I have a job, an income and a home.

If my situation was the same as hers, there would be no "breaks;" especially after almost two years!

It's called priorities...and if you're homeless and desperate, surfing the Internet is not one of them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or