U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 05:07 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,877,003 times

Advertisements

One can post on a forum from the computers at the public library. In today's economy and/or because of psychological problems, people do become homeless. Preaching at them to suck it up is not productive. Maybe it makes you feel good but I prefer that society help those whose life has taken a down turn. Not the scammers but those who fell on hard times.

Some folks have lost their jobs and found it hard to find another. May it not happen to those who preach they have a job. They might find it an interesting experiment.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:21 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,839,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Srsly I have NEVER seen a "homeless" person hop into a luxury vehicle after scoring a buck off a motorist??? What corner are they working cause it sounds incredibly profitable if they are riding in BMWs, Mercedes, and Escalades.
I've seen one fold up the sign and walk off into a late model Blazer, another into a ~4 year old Buick.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 PM

574 posts, read 1,164,729 times
Homeless doesn't mean you have to be without a car for transportation. They may live in their car. Plus not every person on the corner is homeless, they are just asking for help (real or not). Some may specify their need, some of the time we assume.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:54 AM

8,400 posts, read 20,173,551 times
The bottom line is that panhandling is illegal in San Antonio, and that the law needs greater enforcement. There are organizations that can and do help the homeless, but I don't think the vast majority of people begging at street corners fall into that category. If so, they should seek help via other means, as anyone who wanders through traffic is creating an unsafe and unwanted situation, and risks arrest...

Old 04-19-2010, 08:11 AM

968 posts, read 2,195,268 times
well, i for one have never given the "panhandlers" money, and i completely agree with illegalizing it (is illegalizing a word?) because one: they don't pay taxes on that money which is income, two: there are free places for them to live so they keep that untaxed money, three: san antonio just opened up a new homeless COMMUNITY.

so we are paying for a homeless person to live free and clear with little responsibility, make money, and not pay taxes on it. (sigh) i love being middle class...i'm almost homeless because of taxes

and btw if you're homeless go ahead and stay at this fine residence that my tax dollars (not homeless peoples tax dollars cause there are none) paid for.

San Antonio opens new campus to serve homeless - 4/16/10 - Houston News - abc13.com (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/state&id=7389641 - broken link)

Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,877,003 times
My comment had little to do with scammers. However, it had to do with the commentary on the idea that someone down and out would use the Internet.

Guess, what there are resources to find jobs, counseling and help on the Internet. Thus, that specific set of comments were uncalled for.

Also, let's do an inventory of whom as ever done anything illegal before we cast stones. Always drive the speed limit, folks?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:31 AM

1,128 posts, read 790,558 times
This city enables people to become takers and I'm sick of watching it. Why is that ok? Don't give me the "cultural" excuse... which gets used way too often in SA. Don't people want to help themselves? Where is their pride and dignity?
The other day, I was at Culebra/1604 and people were panhandling. The ironic part was that right behind them Red Robin had a "Help Wanted" sign up. I wish I had my camera so I could have posted it.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,023,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
well, i for one have never given the "panhandlers" money, and i completely agree with illegalizing it (is illegalizing a word?)
it is: criminalizing.

Irregardless you got the point across, er....regardless

Old 04-19-2010, 09:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,023,184 times
I haven't really put my opinion on this so let me before the thread dies away.

I don't think we should issue a citation to those who help those in need. But we should definitely issue a citation to panhandlers who are everywhere asking for money. Prior to Haven for Hope, I would have likely not supported a citation/fine on panhandlers but now there's no excuse.

IMO, most of the panhandlers are panhandlers because they continaully choose to be out there asking for money (even if it may be due to a drug, alcohol or mental condition).

In a perfect world, we'd cure there problems and they'd be on there way to a productive life but it's just not completely realistic. Heck, there are PRODUCTIVE members of our society who have jobs and a home with alcohol and drug addictions and we don't even help them, so I can see how the panhandlers would be at the bottom of the totem pole.

There are homeless families and single people who are down and out and they don't panhandle. Most try to get help and stay with family, friends or pursue other options (doing day labor work at one of the many employment agencies that have men lined up at 5 or 6 am to work, or trying to find a stable job and going on job interview after job interview in this tough economy).

You also have to wonder....what good is a fine/citation going to do to a panhandler who gets back out the next day? And the day after and after?

Do we then put them in jail after awhile and waste more tax dollars on feeding, housing and clothing them? To me that's a waste of taxpayer money and that's why Haven for Hope was born.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Haven for Hope will now move more people into productive lives. At least it's a step in the right direction.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 04-19-2010 at 11:05 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM

968 posts, read 2,195,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I haven't really put my opinion on this so let me before the thread dies away.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Haven for Hope will now move more people into productive lives. At least it's a step in the right direction.
xsa210tx i agree with you 100%, and you have a much nicer way of saying it too.

with Haven of Hope (which i believe should benefit the Vietnam vets) IS a step in the right direction. If we can get the people who have served our military, off the streets and into a nice warm bed, I'm all for it. I will gladly give my tax dollars to help someone who has protected my freedom.

even-so, it looks like police are already cracking down

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/37942616.jpg/

http://img156.imageshack.us/i/38356735.jpg/

i've seen this guy at the De Zavala I-10 intersection panhandling before. The cop didn't like seeing me take pictures though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or