U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 PM

314 posts, read 722,551 times

Advertisements

Because idiots give them money...If you want to then help, giving them money is only easing your conscious

Ways to help: (ehow.com)
Donate items for the homeless. Set aside used clothing and toys next time you clean out the closet. Other donations, such as food and cash, can also be taken to a homeless shelter.

Work at a shelter. You can help feed the homeless year-round. Even people with very busy schedules can volunteer whenever it's possible.

Volunteer your time with other organizations that offer aid to the homeless. Check with your local Salvation Army to find ways you can help. The little bit of kindness you give, will be remembered for a long time.

Use your talents to help others. Lawyers can provide free legal help. Medical and dental services can be offered to the homeless at no cost by doctors and dentists. If you are a teacher, you can offer tutoring.

Educate others. Whether you're letting others know about a shelter, what they can do to help, or responding when an uninformed person makes an incorrect and insensitive comment, your knowledge can go a long way in convincing others to help.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:12 AM

5,142 posts, read 11,451,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
The ones who are genuinely mentally ill and can be proven to be,qualify for federal help from the social security admnistration called medical
disability -$800.00 a month federal plus and medicaid and a food allotment to an adult foster care home where they can live. They are taken care of there.
I worked in a mental health rehabilitation program for 3 years while I was in college. $800/month was unheard of for our clients as many did not have any work credits to supplement their disability incomes. Average income was about $500/month with the most I've seen at $675/month in a program with about 75 clients. It takes many, many months, sometimes up to a year to have the Social Security administration finally make a decision on someone receiving benefits. Sometimes they get lost in the homeless network and do not do the follow up on their disability benefits.
In the meantime, if someone is severely ill and does not have a support network of friends and family they can lean on, homeless is the next step. Frequently, family become frustrated with the symptoms of their illness and ask them to leave. Many live at home with their parents or in a group home setting or apartment complex for mentally disabled residents only. The waitlist for the group homes and apartment complexes are long and there is only an opening if someone leaves to live with family, goes to the State hospital or dies.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:39 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,413,309 times
Default Your info is probably dated skeet,

I got, $830.00 per month from social security for 100% disability for a relative.A lot of medical documentation was required but it was no problem at all. Without any work credits, any future work credits will add to this income.
I know the system very well, including the state insurance providers
of mental health for therapy and psychiatry. It was a maze, involving
a patients right abuse case against the state for refusing to provide counseling(which they are already being paid for). A state agency for
student advocacy to get him back into high school. He was so disruptive
the school principal also, refused to re-admit him after a hospitalization.
This is against state law, special ed. services HAS to provide an education, it is the law. You should have seen the school administration backpedaling on that one! Hypocrites. They even have to provide tutoring and transportation.
All meds are paid for,dentists, everything. Good Old LBJ passed Fed.
legislation to provide community mental health care services for our disabled citizens. Thank God!
There is more available to the ill out there,Fed. watchdog agencies,
local, county , state, and Fed. if you know where to look Even scholarship
programs(public or privately funded) where the state provider will pay the balance if privately funded so that it would be a complete free ride for college or vocational school-if high school is completed.
Incidentally, Texas has some of the better funding for AFC homes and I saw no waiting lists, I just had to find an adult foster care home with a bed available myself instead of waiting for a state agency to provide it, that is all.
Only the mentoring program had a waiting list. This is an agency which provides mentally disabled adults with a mentor who has already recieved help from the mental health system and has now a functional life and will aid the care recipient valuable advice on how they achieved the successful
transition themselves.
Of course, the disabled person must be pretty high functioning to achieve
these goals
It was quite a tangled web but I learned to traverse it by cross referencing all these agencies and it was quite a lengthy process..
all of the state employees seemed so jaded and unmotivated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
I worked in a mental health rehabilitation program for 3 years while I was in college. $800/month was unheard of for our clients as many did not have any work credits to supplement their disability incomes. Average income was about $500/month with the most I've seen at $675/month in a program with about 75 clients. It takes many, many months, sometimes up to a year to have the Social Security administration finally make a decision on someone receiving benefits. Sometimes they get lost in the homeless network and do not do the follow up on their disability benefits.
In the meantime, if someone is severely ill and does not have a support network of friends and family they can lean on, homeless is the next step. Frequently, family become frustrated with the symptoms of their illness and ask them to leave. Many live at home with their parents or in a group home setting or apartment complex for mentally disabled residents only. The waitlist for the group homes and apartment complexes are long and there is only an opening if someone leaves to live with family, goes to the State hospital or dies.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:47 PM

College was only 5 years ago so maybe things have changed since then. I do know that Texas ranks very, very low in providing mental health services to its residents. We were big on the scene when it came to rallies for changes.
I do know that the clients still struggle with getting some of the newer meds paid for with medicare or medicaid as I just talked to my previous supervisor a few months back.
Your case may be different; it seems as if its for a minor, under 18. If so, that may be the reason behind better services. We had clients over 18, average age in their 30s - 50s.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Nope,

Not a minor.
Quote:
College was only 5 years ago so maybe things have changed since then. I do know that Texas ranks very, very low in providing mental health services to its residents. We were big on the scene when it came to rallies for changes.
I do know that the clients still struggle with getting some of the newer meds paid for with medicare or medicaid as I just talked to my previous supervisor a few months back.
Your case may be different; it seems as if its for a minor, under 18. If so, that may be the reason behind better services. We had clients over 18, average age in their 30s - 50s.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Not a minor.
You mentioned school principal?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:20 PM

Default Yep,

Yes, the hypocritical one. He has been in the mental system a long time.
That was before he was getting disability and in AFC.
It still is not overwith. I am constantly in search of some sort of aid for him. The time of the onset of the illness coincided with experimental
marijuana use. After repeated incidences and hospitalizations he figured out that the onset of repeated psychosis coicided with initial repeated marijuana usage.
He has stopped and is stabilizing.
Quote:
You mentioned school principal?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, the hypocritical one. He has been in the mental system a long time.
That was before he was getting disability and in AFC.
It still is not overwith. I am constantly in search of some sort of aid for him. The time of the onset of the illness coincided with experimental
marijuana use. After repeated incidences and hospitalizations he figured out that the onset of repeated psychosis coicided with initial repeated marijuana usage.
He has stopped and is stabilizing.
Wow, sounds rough huckster. Keep fighting the good fight, that's all we can do.
My mother in law is on disability herself and she would be tickled pink if she could get even an extra $100/month. The young man is lucky.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Thankyou,

For the moral support, most have given up on him.
Quote:
Wow, sounds rough huckster. Keep fighting the good fight, that's all we can do.
My mother in law is on disability herself and she would be tickled pink if she could get even an extra $100/month. The young man is lucky.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:58 AM

186 posts, read 618,087 times
ugh yeah I just got stopped late at night at HEB while I was putting my groceries into my trunk. He asked if I had any pennies and then if I would give him any of my food. HA. I told him I am a republican.

It drives me nuts - no matter where you go you always get accosted for money in some way shape or form. He reeked of booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or