U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2008, 02:25 PM
 
378 posts, read 1,302,995 times
Reputation: 87

Advertisements

I think speeding is enforced because it can actually kill or do some damage to a human while panhandling isn't really much of a threat to human life.

 
Old 05-11-2008, 02:42 PM
Status: "Amused by Blue" (set 18 days ago)
 
14,628 posts, read 31,233,146 times
Reputation: 6683
Speeding is enforced consistently in Leon Valley, Shavano Park, Windcrest, et al, because it's very lucrative for those small municipalities to do so. That's probably why you don't see panhandlers there either.

San Antonio police look the other way at speeders (no, of course not all the time) but often they do, and many traffic laws go unenforced here. I guess they have bigger fish to fry--I'm not going to make excuses for them--I really don't know the reasoning. I'm sure that when they have time, or when the homeless and panhandlers become an eyesore because the national TV cameras are here in town, you see an increase in the enforcement of panhandling laws.

I do my part to feed the hungry--not only monetarily but I give my time. They are human beings, and that's what I see. Like I said before, if my giving two bucks to a homeless girl is repulsive to you, look the other way. People who turn their backs on other people repulse me, and I have to deal with it.
 
Old 05-11-2008, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Glendale/Los Angeles
571 posts, read 1,718,220 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
LA has dirtier streets the SA Woooooooooooow! That is a shocker. I lived in LA before and trust me LA has some clean streets and I wasn't living in the nice areas of LA(Pico Rivera) in south LA or SELA. Or at least that's what people told me when I first move there. I was all over LA and when I came back to my hometown of SA I seriously became depressed looking at how the city I love so much is so nasty compared to LA and most of Southern Cali. LA does have more homeless though but what do you expect from a city about 13 times bigger then SA.
lol I know what you mean .. I was just comparing the downtown areas though.. I live in a really nice part of L.A. (glendale) and I love it so I know what you mean.. I was just impressed with SA downtown..
 
Old 05-11-2008, 06:06 PM
 
378 posts, read 1,302,995 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Speeding is enforced consistently in Leon Valley, Shavano Park, Windcrest, et al, because it's very lucrative for those small municipalities to do so. That's probably why you don't see panhandlers there either.

San Antonio police look the other way at speeders (no, of course not all the time) but often they do, and many traffic laws go unenforced here. I guess they have bigger fish to fry--I'm not going to make excuses for them--I really don't know the reasoning. I'm sure that when they have time, or when the homeless and panhandlers become an eyesore because the national TV cameras are here in town, you see an increase in the enforcement of panhandling laws.

I do my part to feed the hungry--not only monetarily but I give my time. They are human beings, and that's what I see. Like I said before, if my giving two bucks to a homeless girl is repulsive to you, look the other way. People who turn their backs on other people repulse me, and I have to deal with it.
Amen to that. I can't see how people can do that to other people.
 
Old 05-11-2008, 09:35 PM
 
679 posts, read 2,608,872 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
However, I would suspect that a majority of these "panhandlers" wouldn't take us up on such an offer...
You are so right about that. A couple of times I had a guy ask me for money; one was standing outside of a grocery store. I went into the store and bought him two bags of groceries...things he could eat if he did not have a home and thus no fridge. I came out of the store, told him I had bought those groceries for him. He looked into the bags and said, "I don't eat that kind of food." Off I went with his groceries. Another guy asked me for money and stated that he was hungry. He was REALLY BIG, mind you. I didn't think he was starving to death. I wouldn't give him any money. I walked him to a place and told him to order ANYTHING that he wanted...and I paid for it. Nope, you won't find me giving them any money. Not one cent...but I will feed them.

Oh, almost forgot this one. One evening I was walking in a parking lot at Office Depot. A guy came up to me with a new gas can in his hand and told me he had ran out of gas and if I could give him a couple dollars for gas. Said his GF was waiting for him back at the car. I didn't give him the money because I didn't believe him. Sure enough, a couple days later, during the day, I was walking down the sidewalk at a strip mall, about 15 minutes away and this same guy, with the same gas can approached me with the same story. I said to him, "Weren't you the same guy asking me for money in the Office Depot parking lot a couple of nights ago. Do you know that what you are doing is illegal (scamming)?" He hurried up and walked off in the other direction.
 
Old 05-11-2008, 09:44 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,385,878 times
Reputation: 1785
In the US, the one city where I've experienced panhandlers the most has been Santa Barbara - a very expensive city.
 
Old 05-11-2008, 09:49 PM
 
138 posts, read 383,279 times
Reputation: 51
There is a woman in the northwest side of town that will park her car on the railroad tracks- then run to other cars and ask for money for 'gas- so she can get her car off the tracks'. Happens a few times a week. I drive a 10 year old truck. When a girl at Wal-Mart asked me for money a few years ago, I gave her about $10. I then saw her run to a waiting truck- a truck very new and nicer than what I have. That did it. I will offer a meal, which most turn down in disgust. They want money for drugs, booze. I will give money to a few that are obviously having a hard time with life- you can usually tell the difference- they are dirtier, smell badly and just look 'worse'. I also have dog food in the car if I see somebody with a dog.
 
Old 05-11-2008, 10:20 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
796 posts, read 2,763,851 times
Reputation: 349
I was visiting my cousin who lives in Modesto CA. One day we went to Walmart and as we were parking she told me not to look at any of the homeless people because they will literally flock to you begging.
 
Old 05-11-2008, 11:14 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler guy View Post
I think speeding is enforced because it can actually kill or do some damage to a human while panhandling isn't really much of a threat to human life.
Gee, that's an odd quote coming from someone who is a traveler! I was just doing 200 kph (120 mph) on the autobahn from Frankfurt yesterday and no one was killed. As a matter of fact, I haven't seen an accident all day; something that is rare within the San Antonio city limits.

Speed doesn't kill, lousy drivers kill. And our laws protect us from more than being killed, they regulate society in general to keep good order and having people panhandling is not maintaining good order. That is why there is a law against it. Simple enough.

Cheers! M2
 
Old 05-11-2008, 11:23 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,177,319 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Speeding is enforced consistently in Leon Valley, Shavano Park, Windcrest, et al, because it's very lucrative for those small municipalities to do so. That's probably why you don't see panhandlers there either.

San Antonio police look the other way at speeders (no, of course not all the time) but often they do, and many traffic laws go unenforced here. I guess they have bigger fish to fry--I'm not going to make excuses for them--I really don't know the reasoning. I'm sure that when they have time, or when the homeless and panhandlers become an eyesore because the national TV cameras are here in town, you see an increase in the enforcement of panhandling laws.

I do my part to feed the hungry--not only monetarily but I give my time. They are human beings, and that's what I see. Like I said before, if my giving two bucks to a homeless girl is repulsive to you, look the other way. People who turn their backs on other people repulse me, and I have to deal with it.
Whereas I commend you for donating your time to help the needy, if you are giving money to panhandlers (which most of us know are not the truly needy), then you are contributing to the commission of a crime. Sure, it's only a misdemeanor; but it also encourages them to continue to panhandle and it is the reason they are back at the same intersections every day.

If you donate your time as you say, then you know there are legitimate ways to help these people out. The truly needy will go to the places that offer them food, shelter and clothing. Those people you are giving money to on the street are hustlers, and they are just taking money away from you. If you are that generous, then throw $20 into an envelope and I'll give you an address to send it to. I have a very thirsty Jeep that could use a couple of gallons of gas!

Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top