U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 06:14 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,105,449 times

Advertisements

Scuba

That's scary, especially to a guy who drives an open Jeep! But I think with the ability to carry a concealed weapon in a car without a license may deter that kind of thing from happening nowadays.

And don't sell a clean 944 short, that was a great car!

Cheers! M2

Old 06-05-2008, 10:25 PM

1,241 posts, read 3,892,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Scuba

That's scary, especially to a guy who drives an open Jeep! But I think with the ability to carry a concealed weapon in a car without a license may deter that kind of thing from happening nowadays.

And don't sell a clean 944 short, that was a great car!

Cheers! M2

I agree about your vehicle, but boy, I would hate to go through that. I would probably figure out how to run the mother over!! I'll rep you for answering.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:31 PM

33 posts, read 109,513 times
Maybe your a small town person but I have been to portland,seattle, New Orleans, dallas and Houston just to name a few and they are much worse. i just returned from Chicago two weeks ago and you have multi million dollar high rise living complexes with them standing outside. It's a way of life.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:02 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,006,386 times
heck I know what youre talking about one time i went to subway on marback and 410 and then a guy with his hooker came over to me and said, hey man you drive a nice car how bout parting me with some money? I told him I worked my ass off for that car and now you want me to give you some of my hard earned sweat and tears not to mention the sunburns? he then goes come on man i just want to husle you 5 dollars I told him get a job.

He then pulls out a small butterfly knife and while doing that hes saying you dont want bad things to happen to you,(and he tries to show off his opening skills) by that time I had opend my glove box and pulled out my Glockky friend and had it pointed at thim. I told him I dont know, you ask me. he then drops, backs off and I actually made a citizens arrest just pointed the gun at him till the cop showed up and took him away. I got lucky though. I ended up dropping the charge because he did nothing wrong but he paid a fine i think.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:03 AM

546 posts, read 2,820,009 times
Interesting, and 'natch, controversial anti-panhandling ad used in Calgary, Alberta. May be offensive to some, but it definately makes you take notice:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s247/theweirdone1971/calgarypanhandling.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-09-2008, 11:57 PM

122 posts, read 478,432 times
SAPD is starting to crack down on panhandlers. I am sooo happy! I am realtively young, but I remember 20 years ago being agog when I would see a panhandler. Now, it is normal and I don't even notice it anymore. I am sick and tired of seeing the "Family Stranded" signs being held by well-dressed middle class looking men. They aren't fooling me, but I guess they are fooling some people. I honestly saw that sign three times in one afternoon! The other day I was shopping around Bandera Pointe at Bandera and 1604, and I saw about 6 panhandlers. About an hour later I saw an unmarked police car give tickets to at least three of them. If you happen to get stopped at a light, watch the panhandlers who are just making their way to their corner. More often than not they look around very diligently to make sure there are no police officers. Hooray for unmarked police cars!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:01 AM

55,487 posts, read 74,383,428 times
not sure bout san antonio but i know bout here.

pdclipart.com
free clipart

Old 06-10-2008, 05:56 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amlizalde View Post
Maybe your a small town person but I have been to portland,seattle, New Orleans, dallas and Houston just to name a few and they are much worse. i just returned from Chicago two weeks ago and you have multi million dollar high rise living complexes with them standing outside. It's a way of life.
Yep, there are a bunch of people asking for money in downtown Seattle. The reason being that Tacoma banned panhandling, along with a bunch of the suburbs. Seattle unfortunately makes an environment conducive to standing around downtown with a sign, so people go there.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:57 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,607,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco34 View Post
I am sick and tired of seeing the "Family Stranded" signs being held by well-dressed middle class looking men. They aren't fooling me, but I guess they are fooling some people.
Something to think about: If you lost your job tomorrow and three months from now lost your home, car, and everything else, what would you wear "on the street?" Would you go to "Bums R Us" and buy some raggy clothes so you would "fit the part?"

I'm not saying that the individual(s) you speak of were or were not in need, but if you don't know the situation don't judge. If you don't want to give to "them," then contribute to some other organization that helps those in need. (I'm not saying you don't already...)

--Dim

Old 06-10-2008, 07:29 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times
What would I do? Go on unemployment while spending my time trying to find a job rather than stand around outside with a sign!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or