Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 10:34 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,328,236 times

Advertisements

Carrying a baseball bat in the right hand in TX and threatening a driver is a good way to meet your maker. This is not San Francisco. However, it's funny. For a little bit of time we had some squeegee guys on 410 and Fredericksburg. Folks were waving dollars at them to clean the windows! Service rendered - but the law chased them off.

In NYC, Chicago or SF - you could be intimidating to car drivers. TX is a different place for that.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:20 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,227,798 times
I just saw a report on KENS 5 news where councilman John Clamp plans to introduce an ordinance that would fine motorists who give to panhandlers.
What if it were a crime to give money to a panhandler? | kens5.com | News

Old 01-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I just saw a report on KENS 5 news where councilman John Clamp plans to introduce an ordinance that would fine motorists who give to panhandlers.
It's being discussed on the radio this morning. Sounds like we'll see it introduced later this month.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:21 AM

968 posts, read 2,623,021 times
i was at northstar coming out of park north and there was a panhandler at the intersection.
i saw two cops turning right, the cop rolled down his window and whistled to the panhandler and pointed to the side of the street. the cop slowed traffic to whistle again, the guy never even looked up or moved. and the cop just drove off! i was astonished!
i looked at the guy like "don't you hear the cop telling you to move?!" he looked at me, smiled, and motioned for me to read his sign...

i was at the corner of bandera and 410 back when there was a ton of construction. this panhandler with a broken leg was getting off the clock, he finished collecting the money from the cars at the light, pulled both crutches from under his arms and walked across the street. the lady at the front had just given him money and was FURIOUS, her husband jumped out of the car to chase after him and that panhandler ran up bandera as fast as he could!

and my favorite experience with panhandlers: i was sitting next to a guy in an old geo metro at the light at de zavala. he gave money to the panhandler. my friend was in the car with me and said "here, give some money to that guy" as soon as he said that another panhandler whistled to the guy at the intersection. the guy at the intersection pulled out shiny keys and unlocked a brand new dodge ram 1500 quad cab sitting in the parking lot on the corner. i looked at the guy in the geo metro and his mouth dropped! my friend backpedaled and said "ok, ok, ok, don't give money to THAT guy"

i am 24 years old and it is sad that i have developed this cynicism towards donations. i try to be a giving as i can but the only time i feel that my hard earned money is going towards a good cause is when i'm loading up turkeys at christmas time and driving the kids around for elf louise. i even have bad experiences there, where this one family wouldn't allow santa in...just his toys...

but you take the bad with the good and keep on giving.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,398,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post

In NYC, Chicago or SF - you could be intimidating to car drivers. TX is a different place for that.

I disagree. In Houston it was extremely disconcerting to have a man approach my car, especially when I have two small children in the back. No doubt I would feel the same here in SA.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:18 PM

My comment was based on the report of panhandlers carrying baseball bats. That would be illegal here. Second, the shall issue concealed carry laws in TX would be quite a deterrent to such folks.

In NYC, Chicago or SF - the infringements on the 2nd Amendment are such that a panhandler could deliberately try to intimidate without a reasonable chance of being at risk, if they threatened violence.

In TX, folks should take advantage of the opportunity to have the ability to deter such folks or defend themselves if need be.

Even if one was not inclined towards firearms, a nice can of OC spray would be quite useful.

Last, attitudinal presentation is useful and some venues teach how to carry yourself on the street and in the car to make the panhandler go elsewhere.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:38 AM

5 posts, read 22,394 times
They are scammers... they hide their beamers or their Harley's around the cornet and work in pairs. One night my husband and I went to the Cadillac Bar on a Friday night - there was a nice crowd and a live band. My husband pointed out this guy that was all cleaned up and dancing with some chicks.. he was buying their drinks. He is a regular that works out near the airport. My husband is a superintendent for a construction company that was doing all the work by the airport and so he knows all the regulars and sees them walk to the car/bike and take off after a hard days work. They make a lot of money and it is all tax free. I never give anymore. It kills me when you see a couple working and they have a child with them. Horrible!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 AM

779 posts, read 1,659,981 times
I just got back from Mexico. Seeing the poverty levels down there has made me think twice about ever giving money to people here. Sorry but if you're in your mid 30's to 40's and you claim you've "had it rough"....cry me a river.

I must've given out the equivalent of 30-40 dollars to 70-80 yr old women begging on the streets of Mexico. They deserve it since the Mexican government isn't structured to take care of elderly. That, plus the famished children just begging for food.....they deserve a hand out.

If you can walk up and down the streets on your own will....get off your lazy rear and do something with your life!

Old 01-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,093,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I was listening to a discussion of this proposed ordinance on a different talk radio station yesterday. Most callers there seemed to think that the notion of fining people who donate to panhandlers was silly and outrageous. Many of them said they would continue to donate to panhandlers as they pleased, regardless of the possibility of fines. The host of the show said that John Clamp had "jumped the shark" with this proposal and that he now stood out as the most ridiculous member of the council.

Anyone else surprised by this view?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 AM

On the other hand, on a cold rainy eveningj ust awhile ago, I saw some poor guy huddling under an overpass on I-10. Didn't seem like he was faking.

If we had adequate social services for folks, then that would eliminate the need for panhandling. Many of the homeless are mentally ill.

Shame that some folks then abuse our charitable impulses by scams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio