Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2009, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,950 times

Advertisements

Just to let everyone know...I had dinner at Carrabba's a few weeks ago. A person walked up and gave us a story about how his car had broken down and he was short on cash for the tow truck. He explained that him and his family were in a bind and from out of town. We gave him $20 in good faith. Then we decided to drive to the location that him and his family were "stuck" at only to find him walking out of the taco cabana en route to meet his friend. We confronted him and his lie. Well, this evening we ate at Carrabba's and agin were approached by this con artist. As soon as he opened his mouth, so did we. We told everyone in earshot not give him anything. I informed the manager at the restaurant what this person has been doing. Just to prove our point, we drove down to the spot we last confronted him and sure enough was the same friend and vehicle waiting for him. It seems this is where these guys work...park the car at Taco Cabana and walk around asking for money. They drive an old red Ford Tempo with the license plate 289JXK.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:00 AM

18 posts, read 79,721 times
Default Photo Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by sally75 View Post
Just to let everyone know...I had dinner at Carrabba's a few weeks ago. A person walked up and gave us a story about how his car had broken down and he was short on cash for the tow truck. He explained that him and his family were in a bind and from out of town. We gave him $20 in good faith. Then we decided to drive to the location that him and his family were "stuck" at only to find him walking out of the taco cabana en route to meet his friend. We confronted him and his lie. Well, this evening we ate at Carrabba's and agin were approached by this con artist. As soon as he opened his mouth, so did we. We told everyone in earshot not give him anything. I informed the manager at the restaurant what this person has been doing. Just to prove our point, we drove down to the spot we last confronted him and sure enough was the same friend and vehicle waiting for him. It seems this is where these guys work...park the car at Taco Cabana and walk around asking for money. They drive an old red Ford Tempo with the license plate 289JXK.
Sally, take a photo next time! If you really want to see a "homeless" person skeedaddle back to the Mercedes for a fast get-away, use your digital camera to shoot a snapshot of him and state it will be on the internet that evening. I have about 12 or 13 shots of the same guy flipping me off whenver he sees me...
I found out where he works (a legitimate job by the eay) by pure accident, and since I confronted him with the info, he has vanished! From my neighborhood anyway.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:21 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,921,024 times
This just out...

Quote:
Police cracking down on panhandling. More than 350 citations this year.

This holiday you may find yourself wanting to give to those in need.

But for panhandlers looking for a hand out, they run the risk of being ticketed or arrested. That leaves some people wondering whats so wrong with asking for money?

It's a sensitive topic. Should people be allowed to ask for money on the street?

"We have a city ordinance that prohibits soliciting funds without a permit," said Sgt. Chris Benavides, San Antonio Police Department spokesman.

And while you may not see any harm in giving money to the person holding the sign, police say he or she is risking their life and yours. "These individuals are weaving in and out of the traffic," said Sgt. Benavides. Police say that is dangerous for the driver and the panhandler.

(Full story)

Old 12-24-2009, 04:17 AM

37 posts, read 162,636 times
I wonder about those people walking down the busy traffic lanes holding buckets and stuff claiming to be raising money for an organization. I try to be nice and I try to be a Godly person but I've learned that sometimes you just can't do it. I think if you have to get a job at McDonalds to get a buck then so be it, work at McDonalds its a paycheck!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:24 AM

As the article concludes, it's illegal to panhandle without a permit issued by the city. If you want to find out if those folks on the corners are legit, ask them for their permit before donating. I would bet that there would be many who won't have it...which is why I give money directly to the charities I want to donate to. That way you know your contribution is going towards a real cause...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:02 AM

201 posts, read 381,425 times
While it's not panhandling, does anyone know why the city permits vendors to sell the Express-News at so many busy and dangerous intersections? I find some of them aggressive, and they are often walking between two lanes of traffic when a light turns green.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:21 AM

4,307 posts, read 7,187,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1492 View Post
While it's not panhandling, does anyone know why the city permits vendors to sell the Express-News at so many busy and dangerous intersections? I find some of them aggressive, and they are often walking between two lanes of traffic when a light turns green.
I believe it is permissible to do so as long as the person selling or soliciting is wearing the required high-visibility vest or clothing, and has obtained the proper permit from the City.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest1492 View Post
I agree, but it is legal. I guess the Express-News has enough pull with the city to get permission, but the majority of sellers I see look like the same vagrants I see panhandling all the other time. Whereas I applaud their getting paid employment, I still think the practice of selling newspapers at intersections is a dangerous and annoying one. I have seen several instances were some fool will hold up traffic just to buy a newspaper, it happens all the time on Bandera Road at 1604...

Old 12-25-2009, 04:58 PM

355 posts, read 1,371,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Trust me it's worse in other cities .. life is getting tougher everywhere the economy is terrible right now so that's probably why there are more .. when I visited SA (I live in Los Angeles) I was SHOCKED how clean, nice, and empty the downtown area was at 1am in the morning I felt totally safe .. in Los Angeles there would be 200 homeless people wandering around .. so compartively speaking it's much better than other large cities..
I have a feeling people who beg for money do it regardless of what shape the econmy is in.

Old 12-25-2009, 08:02 PM

18,054 posts, read 25,132,751 times
That's why I'm in favor of the city to have a nice place for homeless people to go to and get the help they need. It also makes it easier for people to take their "crap" that they could use to one place.

By doing that, everybody in the city would know that if they city a panhandler, it would be a scam.
It take panhandlers off the street (with the help of our cops) and improve the image of the city.

Does the city have a nice place for homeless people to go and get help?
Why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio