Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 02:15 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,893 times

Advertisements

Please note before anyone blasts my comment, I stated I'll do this from time to time.

I rarely have cash to begin with!

Just being honest and thought I'd post the other side of the coin.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:49 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_annie View Post
A fool and his money are easily parted. <---that's why. Fleecing of the idiots that are stupid enough to give money to them.
The way I see it, if I feel in my heart the desire to give, I will because I know from where that desire comes. If that makes me a fool, stupid or an idiot, so be it.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:21 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
I'm a sucker for giving money to those people who dress up as firemen and have a big rubber boot to collect money, even if they are not in my part of town.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 PM

422 posts, read 1,450,736 times
El Paso has all Texas cities beat IMO. Just about every corner was occupied. When I did work there, I saw guys taking all the newspapers out of the stand with one quarter, then sell them on the street corner. I saw 2 guys fight for a corner. Then what really got me was as I was walking into a restaurant, this lady purposely popped her boob out and started feeding her baby, then asked me for money. Awkward!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:38 PM

109 posts, read 249,382 times
I work near the airport. I have seen the same people "working the corner".

I feel bad when I look the other way but they are counting on our concious to give them a handout. If you think about it, if there is say 20 cars at a busy light. They get a total of 5 bucks, they made that in less than 5 minutes. Times that by 8 hours a day. Not bad.

The other side of this I had just gone to a Burger King off of 410 and Evers and a guy was at the light holding a sign. I rolled my window down and asked if he was hungry, and without a hesitation he said yes and scarfed down a burger and fries that I gave him. That is worth to me than just handing out money.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:55 AM

734 posts, read 3,016,122 times
My mom used to give food rather than money. In California as a teen, they'd hang out by the grocery store's with "Will work for food" signs - seriously, they really did. She would just pull out some groceries we had just bought and give it to them.

A few years back, my hubby and I were in a mall in LA near downtown and heard this long story from some guy who said he was a displaced Katrina victim, but got divided from his family, they were in San Diego. He needed $10 for the bus ticket, wanted to show us his displacement papers from Katrina, wanted our address to pay us back etc. We just gave him a $20 and figured if he was a con artist, then so be it.

But generally I won't just hand out money to people on the street. Even though the pregnant girl, or the ones with kids do wrench at my heart - I know that many of them are using that for their gain. Recently my hubby told me about a guy who was picked up panhandling and he had $3000 on him.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Despite how you feel, or if they are really hungry, it is illegal to panhandle in this city and you are contributing to the problem if you give them anything. There are many social services that are available to truly homeless individuals and if you really want to do them a favor, call the authorities when you see them panhandling and let them take care of the situation. That will also separate the fakers from those who really need help.

By giving them anything, money or even food, you are contributing to a crime. Yes, a crime. In the other thread on panhandling I posted the city ordinance against soliciting, so there is no excuse to encourage these individuals to break the law.

Cheers! M2

Old 05-09-2008, 12:11 PM

83 posts, read 235,492 times
stop complaining!!! heaven forbid you should see someone who isnt a white collar executive inside the pearly gates of stone oak! this is called life we live in a world with other people if you see them that doesn't mean you have to give money just drive on!
and if you wanna give money then beware because i have heard of people getting arrested and tried for committing such a crime like giving a dollar to a homeless human being!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 PM

109 posts, read 249,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Despite how you feel, or if they are really hungry, it is illegal to panhandle in this city and you are contributing to the problem if you give them anything. There are many social services that are available to truly homeless individuals and if you really want to do them a favor, call the authorities when you see them panhandling and let them take care of the situation. That will also separate the fakers from those who really need help.

By giving them anything, money or even food, you are contributing to a crime. Yes, a crime. In the other thread on panhandling I posted the city ordinance against soliciting, so there is no excuse to encourage these individuals to break the law.

Cheers! M2
Are you sure panhandling is illegal? If so it is definately not being inforced. I see cops all the time drive right by them.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:02 AM

378 posts, read 1,442,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasksgirl View Post
Trust me it's worse in other cities .. life is getting tougher everywhere the economy is terrible right now so that's probably why there are more .. when I visited SA (I live in Los Angeles) I was SHOCKED how clean, nice, and empty the downtown area was at 1am in the morning I felt totally safe .. in Los Angeles there would be 200 homeless people wandering around .. so compartively speaking it's much better than other large cities..
LA has dirtier streets the SA Woooooooooooow! That is a shocker. I lived in LA before and trust me LA has some clean streets and I wasn't living in the nice areas of LA(Pico Rivera) in south LA or SELA. Or at least that's what people told me when I first move there. I was all over LA and when I came back to my hometown of SA I seriously became depressed looking at how the city I love so much is so nasty compared to LA and most of Southern Cali. LA does have more homeless though but what do you expect from a city about 13 times bigger then SA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio