U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:35 PM

529 posts, read 2,491,174 times

Advertisements

Hi
When I had one dog, I always carries a walking cane to keep away stray dogs. Now that I have two dogs, I have a hard time holding on to both of them and carrying a cane. I've been racking my brain trying to think of a comfortable way to carry protection when we are out walking. Then I was watching The Today Show this morning where they were filming from San Quentin. One of the correctional officers mentioned a telecsopic baton; and I thought that is just what I need. I could clip it to my belt and extend it if I need to.
I saw several different ones online but I would rather go into a store and try them out before buying. Plus I'm a little concerned about such a thing coming through the mail (with homeland security and all).
Is there a store in San Antonio (preferrebly NE side) that sells these kinds of things?

Note: I also carry DirectStop spray and I have used those sonic dog chasers as well but it's really hard to hit those little yappy dogs that run up behind us with the spray and if the wind is blowing in the wrong the direction, I worry about my dogs getting hit. I also worry about those sonic things hurting my dog's ears.

If people would control their pets, I wouldn't have this delemna, but that's a rant for another day.

Thanks!

Oh yeah. I forgot to metion. I have never hit a dog with my walking cane. Most of the time, it's very effective to simply point the stick at them to get them to back off. Sometimes, I have to yell while hitting the stick on the ground. Once we got acosted by this very large pit bull. I pointed the handle end at the dog and pushed him in the chest to keep him back until his owner finally got him under control. After pushing him back about 3 times and basically panicing, I was about to hit the dog if the owner hadn't finally gotten control.

Last edited by shenane; 05-09-2008 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Added last paragraph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 02:01 PM

It's me, the OP again. If y'all have another ideas for easily carrying some type of protection from stays, let me know that as well. I have been looking at the telscoping batons online and they are all steel. Seems kind of heavy - another reason I'd like to try before purchasing.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Hi
When I had one dog, I always carries a walking cane to keep away stray dogs. Now that I have two dogs, I have a hard time holding on to both of them and carrying a cane. I've been racking my brain trying to think of a comfortable way to carry protection when we are out walking. Then I was watching The Today Show this morning where they were filming from San Quentin. One of the correctional officers mentioned a telecsopic baton; and I thought that is just what I need. I could clip it to my belt and extend it if I need to.
I saw several different ones online but I would rather go into a store and try them out before buying. Plus I'm a little concerned about such a thing coming through the mail (with homeland security and all).
Is there a store in San Antonio (preferrebly NE side) that sells these kinds of things?

Note: I also carry direct stop and I have used those sonic dog chasers as well but it's really hard to hit those little yappy dogs that run up behind us with the spray and if the wind is blowing in the wrong the direction, I worry about my dogs getting hit. I also worry about those sonic things hurting my dog's ears.

If people would control their pets, I wouldn't have this delemna, but that's a rant for another day.

Thanks!

Oh yeah. I forgot to metion. I have never hit a dog with my walking cane. Most of the time, it's very effective to simply point the stick at them to get them to back off. Sometimes, I have to yell while hitting the stick on the ground. Once we got acosted by this very large pit bull. I pointed the handle end at the dog and pushed him in the chest to keep him back until his owner finally got him under control. After pushing him back about 3 times and basically panicing, I was about to hit the dog if the owner hadn't finally gotten control.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Quote:
It's me, the OP again. If y'all have another ideas for easily carrying some type of protection from stays, let me know that as well.
I sometimes carry pepper spray when I'm walking in a nearby neighborhood with wildlife and strays.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks
I also carry spray - It's citronella spray called DirectStop. I use that if the stick doesn't work. I prefer pointing the stick for 3 reasons:
1. Although the citronella spray is supposed to be humane, I worry about hurting the strays. It's not their fault their owners let them run loose
2. If the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, I might hit my dogs
3. It's very hard to hit those little yappy dogs that run up behind us. They dodge the spray very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I sometimes carry pepper spray when I'm walking in a nearby neighborhood with wildlife and strays.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,814 posts, read 33,124,702 times
Quote:
Thanks
I also carry spray - It's citronella spray called DirectStop. I use that if the stick doesn't work. I prefer pointing the stick for 3 reasons:
1. Although the citronella spray is supposed to be humane, I worry about hurting the strays. It's not their fault their owners let them run loose
2. If the wind is blowing in the wrong direction, I might hit my dogs
3. It's very hard to hit those little yappy dogs that run up behind us. They dodge the spray very well.
I don't have dogs of my own to worry about when I'm on a walk. My goal with the spray is to avoid being bitten.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:45 PM

121 posts, read 440,192 times
You can get them at most police supply stores or at galls.com

BUT, it is a FELONY to possess one of these away from your home if you are not a Police Officer or a Security Officer.. They can do tremendous damage, they would most likely kill a dog or do serious injury if you don't know how to use it properly. I would recommend against it.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:47 PM

25 posts, read 61,669 times
I have never been there but you may want to try Southwest Public Safety at 3370 Nacogdoches RD. Suite 168.

Southwest Public Safety - www.swps.com - Whelen, Code-3, Streamlight, Able 2 Sho-Me Police & Fire Equipment, Lights, Sirens, LED & Strobe from SWPS.com

Old 05-09-2008, 03:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 3,334,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmerian View Post
You can get them at most police supply stores or at galls.com

BUT, it is a FELONY to possess one of these away from your home if you are not a Police Officer or a Security Officer.. They can do tremendous damage, they would most likely kill a dog or do serious injury if you don't know how to use it properly. I would recommend against it.
I couldn't find anything online that confirms that - I've been thinking about getting one myself.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:27 PM

20 posts, read 104,425 times
Carrying a baton like the one you are describing is against the law but it's a misdemeanor not a felony. It is the same offense as carrying a pistol (unlawfully carrying a weapon, Texas penal code 46.02, class A misdemeanor). If caught you would be subject to arrest and a few hours in jail. Even a concealed carry license will not make it ok. But to answer the question, Sterlings Uniforms @ I10/west Ave carry them for sale. The common term is an ASP. GALLS.COM also carries them from ASP and other manufacturers. Good luck with your dog problem.

Old 05-09-2008, 06:21 PM

121 posts, read 440,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
I couldn't find anything online that confirms that - I've been thinking about getting one myself.
Here you go:

And their right, it is a misdemeanor, you can still spend a year in jail or on probation.

TEXAS PENAL CODE

TITLE 10. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH, SAFETY, AND MORALS

CHAPTER 46. WEAPONS

46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially
designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious
bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and
includes but is not limited to the following:

(B) nightstick;

46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person
commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or
recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal
knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the
person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle
that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person
intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or
her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person
or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a
Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance
regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm;
or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as
defined by Section 71.01.
(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes
real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as
living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or
permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor
vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a
vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to
be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer,
camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with
living quarters.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under
this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third
degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or
issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio