U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:33 AM

252 posts, read 285,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
we could use some...

dh started with a fever tuesday night --- by friday he had fever, chills, the shakes, started vomiting, massive nasuea, dizzy...we also noticed the top of his rt foot looked a little swollen ...

off to the ER --- dh had very low blood pressure --- 90/60 --- very dehydrated --- we got a room very quickly, only waited apx 15mins (yea Methodist) --- as we sat in the room dh started sweating profusely --- i looked at his foot, which was now beet red and was hot to the touch and he had red lines shooting up his shin towards his knee, about 5 of them --- his foot is now very swollen

needless to say they think it is some sort of staph infection, cellulitis is what they are calling it --- they are hoping it is not the MRSA staph infection that is out there --- dh still has low pressure --- 102/54 --- we are waiting to get the blood work back ---

we\'ll take any and all well wishes ---
Prayers sent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 02:04 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,971,419 times
*** update ***

first and foremost --- thank you all for your well wishes and prayers --- i am really amazed that i am such a newbie on the board and you have all still shown so much support to dh and i via your replies, even though you barely know me, again, thank you --- and paka, thank you again for your dm ...

well...they have dh on 2 different antibiotics --- 1 starts with a "C" and the other is Levaquin, which i understand is a pretty strong antibiotic --- they say they may still put him on 1 other antibiotic, which the name slips my mind, but it is stronger than the Levaquin and if it is needed, then the infection is very serious ---

at this point the swelling has gone down some, but there is a purple spot on the top of his foot that started today and as of tonight i noticed small blisters starting to appear

i don't know what to think anymore --- the blood cultures still have not grown, so they are not able to identify what type of bacteria it is yet --- hopefully we have some growth of the cultures on day 2 and we can start getting some answers ---

dh is pretty miserable in the hospital --- he is not used to being down for the count for so long and he is getting pretty grumpy --- they told us tonight that they may keep him for 5-7 days, depending on what type of bacteria it is --- so that did not make him happy --- i wasn't to thrilled either, i have 3 kids coming home from granddad's tomorrow and they are expecting to see daddy --- so i will have to put my brave face on for the next week and not let them see any worry ...

okay, again, thank you all for your prayers, we need them --- i am going to head off to bed --- i tried to sleep at the hospital, but it was useless on that little pull out chair --- and dh wanted me to come home and get a good nights sleep before the kiddos come home ---

i will keep you all posted as i get more info...

~~~ Ana

Old 05-11-2008, 02:13 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,350,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
*** update ***

first and foremost --- thank you all for your well wishes and prayers --- i am really amazed that i am such a newbie on the board and you have all still shown so much support to dh and i via your replies, even though you barely know me, again, thank you --- and paka, thank you again for your dm ...

well...they have dh on 2 different antibiotics --- 1 starts with a "C" and the other is Levaquin, which i understand is a pretty strong antibiotic --- they say they may still put him on 1 other antibiotic, which the name slips my mind, but it is stronger than the Levaquin and if it is needed, then the infection is very serious ---

at this point the swelling has gone down some, but there is a purple spot on the top of his foot that started today and as of tonight i noticed small blisters starting to appear

i don't know what to think anymore --- the blood cultures still have not grown, so they are not able to identify what type of bacteria it is yet --- hopefully we have some growth of the cultures on day 2 and we can start getting some answers ---

dh is pretty miserable in the hospital --- he is not used to being down for the count for so long and he is getting pretty grumpy --- they told us tonight that they may keep him for 5-7 days, depending on what type of bacteria it is --- so that did not make him happy --- i wasn't to thrilled either, i have 3 kids coming home from granddad's tomorrow and they are expecting to see daddy --- so i will have to put my brave face on for the next week and not let them see any worry ...

okay, again, thank you all for your prayers, we need them --- i am going to head off to bed --- i tried to sleep at the hospital, but it was useless on that little pull out chair --- and dh wanted me to come home and get a good nights sleep before the kiddos come home ---

i will keep you all posted as i get more info...

~~~ Ana
Glad to hear that they have gotten his antibiotics started..that is important for sure given your description. Good news is the time he will spend in the hospital will allow for IV antibiotics..which will help knock out the infection faster.

Blood cultures ARE fustrating waiting to isolate the perticular bug for sure.

Could the anitbiotic you are thinking of with a "C" be Cipro???

If you need help with the kiddos, anything at all, let us know. And thanks so much for the update. Now get some sleep little mamma and Happy Mothers Day. I know this is difficult, but it still is your day. We are here to help!

Old 05-11-2008, 04:14 AM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,309 posts, read 11,167,600 times
Are you referring to vancomycin as the antibiotic that is stronger than levaquin. Vanco is one of the "big guns" to treat serious infections. Prayers are with you and your family.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:00 AM

394 posts, read 1,376,095 times
Mrstxcop - I haven't been online til this a.m. and just saw your post. Have already sent prayers your way and will continue to do so for both you DH and you. Please keep us aprised of his condition. God Bless.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:33 AM

1,805 posts, read 4,352,589 times
Wow, mrsMtc....

what a lousy Mothers Day for you....
Let me wish you a better day, a better week, better news....
ALL of you, you, your husband, your children, remain in my prayers......

Old 05-11-2008, 07:39 AM

134 posts, read 459,775 times
Ana my prayers go out to you & your family!!! My DD was in Methodist Childrens in Oct. for a infection they had her in isolation. She had to be there 5-6 days too. They are a fantastic hospital. Once you find out it's not contagious maybe the kids can visit to lift his spirits!!!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:56 AM
Owl

112 posts, read 507,549 times
I totally believe in the power of prayer, and today I am going to say a special prayer for you and for your husband's speedy recovery. My brother had a staph infection last year, and he has survived, and is doing fairly well now.

The strange and awful thing is, I have a husband who is now in the ICU at another hospital. We still don't know if he will have any mental damage, as he was admitted due to severe sodium deficiency. Also, he doesn't have insurance. It kicks in on June 1. I almost posted here, too, to see if anyone had knowledge of how to negotiate for medical bills or aid of some kind.

What is amazing to me is how kind people are here in San Antonio. And I'm so aware now of the fragility of life. The best any of us can do, at any moment, is to show love and kindness to others--no matter the situation.

I will say a very special prayer for you today. It will work, for certain.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,866,427 times
Wow, I just saw your post mrstxcop. That's terrible news. You and your family have all my prayers. I hope your dh has a speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:18 AM

61 posts, read 305,337 times
Default Prayeres sent from Tennessee

We will pray for you and your family for strength and patience. God's speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or