U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 PM

790 posts, read 3,615,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
When you meet people for the first time, they often tell you where they go to church, and ask where you go. It's not that they'd have an issue with the denomination. They just want to rest in knowing that you are a "person of faith," which is quite nauseating to me. <snip> As it turns out, church seems to be where most San Antonians meet people for social activities and support, so those who are happiest here probably belong to some kind of church.
I have been here for a year and a half now and have not once had anyone ask me what church I went to or even make the assumption that I went to church at all, unless I brought up the issue first. BTW - I am Hispanic and am NOT Catholic. As far as church being where "most San Antonians" center their social lives... clearly this poster hasn't met my large circle of friends who are quite social, generally unattached to any church, and represent a wide variety of faiths and personal beliefs including Buddhism, Hinduism, many Christian faiths including Catholicism, Islam, Baha'i, general agnosticism and atheism.

And since the poster in question states that those happiest in SA must belong to some kind of church, yet has clearly stated again and again how unhappy she is here, I wonder how it is she even has knowledge of church life in this city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 09:31 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,351,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
I have been here for a year and a half now and have not once had anyone ask me what church I went to or even make the assumption that I went to church at all, unless I brought up the issue first. BTW - I am Hispanic and am NOT Catholic. As far as church being where "most San Antonians" center their social lives... clearly this poster hasn't met my large circle of friends who are quite social, generally unattached to any church, and represent a wide variety of faiths and personal beliefs including Buddhism, Hinduism, many Christian faiths including Catholicism, Islam, Baha'i, general agnosticism and atheism.

And since the poster in question states that those happiest in SA must belong to some kind of church, yet has clearly stated again and again how unhappy she is here, I wonder how it is she even has knowledge of church life in this city.
I agree with you 100%. I rarely hear about churches in SA. That poster often posts negative and false descriptions of SA. Religion is a largely unimportant part of the city as a whole. In fact, I haven't met very many people in SA that openly publicize their religion.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 PM

944 posts, read 2,801,645 times
Tgannaway89, most of the people you know in SA do not go to church? And if they do, they never mention it? (Well, maybe not if they are young college students like yourself). I stand corrected, then. Hardly any of the hundreds of thousands of Hispanics in SA attend a Catholic church. If they do, it's not a huge part of their lives. And there is not a Baptist church every few blocks on the NW side. My mistake...

Old 05-12-2008, 10:36 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times
Quote:
I moved here from California. From my experience, San Antonians are not "Bible thumping" in the traditional sense. Generally, they don't care which Christian church you go to, as long as you go to a Christian church. When you meet people for the first time, they often tell you where they go to church, and ask where you go. It's not that they'd have an issue with the denomination. They just want to rest in knowing that you are a "person of faith," which is quite nauseating to me. In SA, one has the assumption that you go to some kind of church. In California, people would most often not impose that. In that culture, you are more than the church you belong to. As it turns out, church seems to be where most San Antonians meet people for social activities and support, so those who are happiest here probably belong to some kind of church.

Again, totally opposite experience. I was more likely to get asked if I played soccer on Sundays than if I went to church (the one 'big' city League I know of plays Sundays).

My friend who works in Bryan/College Station did say he got asked that a lot, but I have yet to get asked that question in the 4-7 years I've been living here (first 3 were part time). I have occassionally had people come to my door, but no more than I have had in any of the other US cities where I've lived.

I am surprised by the number of churches I see - indeed there are 4 within a 1/2 mile of my home, in my neighborhood. But no one has ever really bothered us. We ran into the pastor of one of the generic Christian churches in the 'hood one day on the street and he invited us to their weekly free dinner, and emphasized it was a community and not religious event = no preaching! We've had a few JW's from the church across the street extend an invitation to join them when they see us outside on Sunday morning, but we say no (we have had visitors to our door, but not from this congregation). I had waaaaaay more door-to-door sales, er, church converters in CA than anywhere else I lived, but I also lived there the longest

None of the general population, in normal day to day life, have so much as asked me about my religious affiliation. Some of our friends are part of the 'free thinkers society' which we call the "Aetheist Club." Some of them have been more 'bible thumper' types than the Christians. And I recently attended a Thai Buddhist religious event, invited to by some locals. Wonderful experience!

Old 05-12-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Tgannaway89, most of the people you know in SA do not go to church? And if they do, they never mention it? (Well, maybe not if they are young college students like yourself). I stand corrected, then. Hardly any of the hundreds of thousands of Hispanics in SA attend a Catholic church. If they do, it's not a huge part of their lives. And there is not a Baptist church every few blocks on the NW side. My mistake...
I'm not tgannaway, but I'll say that of our close friends, I know maybe one that attends church semi-regularly (or used to). I do on occassion myself. Amongst our wider circle of acquaintances/casual friends, I know maybe 1-2 that attend church with any regularity. I do know my co-workers and staff attend church, but no one has ever asked me to join them

Plenty of hispanics identify as catholic culturally, yet are not actively involved in a Catholic church.

Plenty of people identify themselves culturally as 'christians', even though they do not practice any one particular form of it. If you celebrate Christmas, you accept the culture aspects of Christianity, which is part of the US society as a whole.

One thing that did strike me in Texas was the mega-churches. I esp. see them as I head north in and out of the city. Despite their presence, I have yet to be asked by people about my church affiliation since I've been here, apart from the few visits at my home, as described already. I've had more of those types of experiences in CA, even tho I live within a few blocks of 4 churches.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, a majority of my friends are college (or at least college aged) students living within a mile of UTSA. I know that college students are typically less religious than others. There actually aren't many churches here on the NW side compared to some of the overtly religious cities I have seen across the state. There are towns in West Texas that have more churches than homes. Also, what is the purpose of specifically pointing out Hispanic Catholics. I do not personally have any Catholic Hispanic friends, but have a few Caucasian Catholics friends. I'm not sure which area of SA you reside in, but it seems like we are living in two different cities.

I consider myself a Christian but have not attended church or seen a Bible in quite a while. IMO most churches today are simply a business.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:04 AM

163 posts, read 499,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Plenty of hispanics identify as catholic culturally, yet are not actively involved in a Catholic church.
**raises hand**

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM

Oh, I should have added I DO see (and hear!) the preachers in front of the Alamo on the weekends. I'm all for freedom of speach but I feel this borders on disturbing the peace. Unfortunate as it really detracts from what I feel is a true religious experience of visiting the site of a massacre.

All that said, I got the impression the OP was looking for people with Christian views.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 AM

944 posts, read 2,801,645 times
Tgannaway89, start at UTSA and take a drive down Babcock on the NW side and count the churches. They branch off in all directions, too. I'm not suggesting that people in SA are trying to pressure anyone into believing anything, or even that asking what church you go to is the worst of it. What bothers my is the assumption that one goes to church. The Thai Buddhist meeting does sound very interesting. I'd love to experience that.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Tgannaway89, start at UTSA and take a drive down Babcock on the NW side and count the churches. They branch off in all directions, too. I'm not suggesting that people in SA are trying to pressure anyone into believing anything, or even that asking what church you go to is the worst of it. What bothers my is the assumption that one goes to church. The Thai Buddhist meeting does sound very interesting. I'd love to experience that.
To assume everyone attends church is definitely a sign that the person your meeting is ignorant. I've met plenty of people like this in the past, but my experience in SA has been completely different. I didn't mention that the town I grew up in with over 50 churches only had 2 denominations, Catholic and Baptist. There was no other denomination or religion present. Talk about an outmoded city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio