Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 16,618 times

Advertisements

Twenty nine years ago, I worked on the design and construction of streets and infrastructure of the San Antonio Ranch Subdivision in Helotes, Texas and noticed that nothing has changed on the map. Can someone send pictures of the area and let me know how the area has developed over the years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 09:55 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
AWells1979:

No pics; sorry; but I do have a little history, as we've worked on a project close to SAR.

San Antonio Ranch was developed as a MUD, prior to guidelines on how the MUD bonds could be sold. The original developer hyped it, sold the bonds, and bailed with the $$$ (not completely uncommon during that time).

The ownership is severely fractured out there - different people own vacant lots & undeveloped land. As you'll probably remember, the topo is killer out there, making homebuilding very expensive (and, as a result, slow).

Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
If I remember correctly, wasn't the Government Canyon Park originally part of SA Ranch?

Another story I heard (from my geography professor) was that the "recreation lake" that was built never accounted for the fact that it was over the recharge zone. Any rainfall that fell in a rainstorm just soaked through the bottom. Anyone know if there is any truth to this urban legend? A friend who lived directly across from the dam actually took pictures back in the late '90's (?) because it was the first time he actually saw it full.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 16,618 times
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I remember the issues associated with the development of the San Antonio Ranch M.U.D. because I was temporary manager of construction or infrastructure, permitting and other things. I vaguely remember the owner and his efforts of getting the project certified as a M.U.D. I guess I remember more about having lunch and dinner in Helotes, drinking beer, playing pool where Willie Nelson used to play on the weekends. Its too bad that the Ranch turned out to be what it is - it had great potential when it began. Sorry, I don't know much about the lake but I do remember the issues of constructing something over the recharge zone. Thanks again and good luck to all. Its good to hear from "back home". a. wells

Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 4,440 times
Default San Antonio Ranch

San Antonio Ranch hasn't really changed much. Here are a few pics I took last year around this time.
Attached Thumbnails
San Antonio Ranch, Helotes, Texas-beep.jpg   San Antonio Ranch, Helotes, Texas-bridge.jpg   San Antonio Ranch, Helotes, Texas-mountain-climb.jpg   San Antonio Ranch, Helotes, Texas-my-car-2012.jpg   San Antonio Ranch, Helotes, Texas-roadrunner.jpg  

San Antonio Ranch, Helotes, Texas-roadrunner-2.jpg   San Antonio Ranch, Helotes, Texas-sar-trail.jpg  

Old 10-25-2013, 07:37 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
If I remember correctly, wasn't the Government Canyon Park originally part of SA Ranch?
Yep.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,642,357 times
I thought that the Government Canyon State Natural Area came about after S.A. Ranch started. I seem to remember it was partly because of that San Antonio Ranch development that some groups and the city were acquiring enough land to prevent more development over the sensitive aquifer area. Then the state took the land for the purpose of doing a natural area park.

Last edited by Lee W.; 10-25-2013 at 10:39 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 08:39 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
I thought that the Government Canyon State Natural Area came about after S.A. Ranch started. I seem to remember it was partly because of that San Antonio Ranch development that some groups and the city were acquiring enough land to prevent more development over the sensitive aquifer area. Then the state took the land for the purpose of doing a natural area park.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Government Canyon was "created" from land that was once part of San Antonio Ranch...

Quote:
In the 1980s, the canyon had been slated for development as part of a subdivision called San Antonio Ranch. The developers went bankrupt, however, in the wave of bankruptcies at the time, and in the early 1990s, when the core area of 4,700 acres wound up in the hands of the Resolution Trust Corporation, concerned citizens formed an alliance called the Government Canyon Coalition and joined forces with the Trust for Public Land, TPWD, the Edwards Aquifer Authority, and the San Antonio Water System. Eventually, the total number of groups and agencies involved in acquiring and conserving land and resources for the natural area would number more than three dozen. With the Trust for Public Land working out the details, the original tract of land was purchased for $2 million, which now seems an astonishing bargain. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department took over the role of managing the land, and Government Canyon was designated a state natural area rather than a park.(Source)
Cheers! M2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio