Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Texas: Mexican food, central cities, expensive electricity, great jobs, rugged mountains, tourist town

View Poll Results: Should I consider moving to TX.. jobs and cost of housing set aside?
yes 8 36.36%
no 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:58 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I guess I'm not sure why you want Texas to sell itself to you? Texas (or Texans) don't need to convince you to move here. Texas has a lot to offer and enjoy, but it's not for everyone. I enjoy discussing the merits of different places and all, but I'd never try to convince someone to move to a place they have already determined not to like (or rather to move from a place they already consider the best place on earth).

It's very clear you wouldn't be happy in Texas, so why would you bother even considering it?

I know I wouldn't be happy moving back to Los Angeles area, for a variety of reasons, so despite the pressure from family to move back, we stand firm that it's not going to happen (it's not because we prefer Texas).
Well it's not that I need convincing, but just some ideas thoughts and opinions.. it doesn't look like I'd enjoy it as much, but did find many interesting things I didn't know exist... like Lakes! Sure it's not Mission BAy or the Ocean, but unless I'm going on a cruise... it doesn't have to be.

Considering it, only bc my wife's parents are elderly and will be needing some care soon.... they wouldn't leave TX, so we'd have to come to them... then my wife is the only one that could care for them as well.

I don't want to deem it the best place on earth, but I can't see what it doesn't have (oh wait a person in Austin said Springs). But it does seem to have almost everything very close by....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:02 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
I truly feel that best feedback can come from none other than native texans! But those that had lived in both areas... are pretty much saying no comparison
First, let me say that I'm a native Texan currently living in San Diego. I didn't leave Texas because I didn't like it. I left for a change of pace. At some point, I expect to go back.

Both places have a lot to offer, but they're different things. You're comparing apples to oranges. Each has its own flavor. You're never going to turn an apple into an orange. You can either move to Texas and enjoy all it has to offer or move and spend your life lamenting your decision for having done so. If you need to be convinced to move to Texas, then you have no business moving. Just stay put in your home five miles from the beach.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
First, let me say that I'm a native Texan currently living in San Diego. I didn't leave Texas because I didn't like it. I left for a change of pace. At some point, I expect to go back.

Both places have a lot to offer, but they're different things. You're comparing apples to oranges. Each has its own flavor. You're never going to turn an apple into an orange. You can either move to Texas and enjoy all it has to offer or move and spend your life lamenting your decision for having done so. If you need to be convinced to move to Texas, then you have no business moving. Just stay put in your home five miles from the beach.
Yes you're right, they are VERY different, and my lifestyle is probably more SD at heart, but things can happen and may have to pack bags if family calls. To each his own, it's not for everyone!
I'm not saying you didn't like it, but what made you choose here then? change of pace really doesn't tell me much... if anything... hundreds of places to move in the world and ended up here.. you had freedom of choice.. so why the move?

Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Yes you're right, they are VERY different, and my lifestyle is probably more SD at heart, but things can happen and may have to pack bags if family calls. To each his own, it's not for everyone!
I'm not saying you didn't like it, but what made you choose here then? change of pace really doesn't tell me much... if anything... hundreds of places to move in the world and ended up here.. you had freedom of choice.. so why the move?
Well, my SO lived in SD all of his adult life. He retired from the Navy, went back to SA, when we reconnected through a website. He did the back and forth thing for about a year and I would visit him during the times . Finally, the last time he was coming back to San Diego, he asked me to come with him. Quite frankly, he could've asked me to join him in EBF Egypt and I would've gone. My only choice was to follow him or not, the location was of no consequence.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Ok... that clarifies the change of pace... I wasn't sure what the meant... but hey... that's just life... which is the same reasons for me maybe having to move...

Old 05-14-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Ok... that clarifies the change of pace... I wasn't sure what the meant... but hey... that's just life... which is the same reasons for me maybe having to move...
HAVING to move and WANTING to move are two different things. I didn't move because I had to. I wanted to be with my man and it didn't make a difference where that was. I would be just as happy living in Podunk, if that's where he wanted to live. However, if I spent my time fretting and comparing one place to another, I would be very unhappy. I could easily say that the Mexican food in SoCal sucks and complain that I can't find good Tex-Mex, but it doesn't suck, it's just different. Nothing can replace my hometown and nothing ever will, but I'm content living in San Diego...even if I can't find a decent Tex-Mex restaurant to save my life.

BTW...you said that SD isn't hot or cold. You're right about the hot...SoCal has no idea what HOT is, even though the whining has begun about "it's soooo hot"...puhleeeeze. *lol* But to say it doesn't get cold is BS. It may not get Arctic cold, but there have been a few nights that had me shivering because it was cold enough.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
HAVING to move and WANTING to move are two different things. I didn't move because I had to. I wanted to be with my man and it didn't make a difference where that was. I would be just as happy living in Podunk, if that's where he wanted to live. However, if I spent my time fretting and comparing one place to another, I would be very unhappy. I could easily say that the Mexican food in SoCal sucks and complain that I can't find good Tex-Mex, but it doesn't suck, it's just different. Nothing can replace my hometown and nothing ever will, but I'm content living in San Diego...even if I can't find a decent Tex-Mex restaurant to save my life.

BTW...you said that SD isn't hot or cold. You're right about the hot...SoCal has no idea what HOT is, even though the whining has begun about "it's soooo hot"...puhleeeeze. *lol* But to say it doesn't get cold is BS. It may not get Arctic cold, but there have been a few nights that had me shivering because it was cold enough.
Cold? Well we have microclimates here... a few nights it can get under 50, but that's rare. Of course if you live further away from the ocean and in the mountains, it will be colder.... remember we have snow 40 miles from beaches so that's reason to think about our weather

Our Mexican food is diff than TX mexican food, and I'd actually prefer the Tx mexican food myself

Old 05-15-2008, 11:21 PM

111 posts, read 392,412 times
Wow, the original post just seemed long and weird. You sound like you are from SoCal just from your writing. Interesting. I didn't get the idea that you wanted to move away from your almost perfect sounding location at all. I definately vote no for a move to anywhere at this point. You sound like you love it; stay put and enjoy life. By the way, much easier than a pain in the butt move anyways.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by assist2sellnbuyhomes View Post
All I can say is you have many choices here in Texas and I would say to narrow the reasons for the move first and then the pros and cons. You can chose from the big city life, hillside, beaches (nicest one I'd say South Padre Island) and there a several small towns/growing cities close by, etc. The cost of living and income possibilities have different ranges. I'd love to help, but where in Texas does your wife's family live currently? I am asking this question because it seemed like that was the main reason. People fear change and relocating, but as long as you narrow the wants, needs, etc. you can narrow the pros and cons and then the choices of where to live.
You gonna help buy me a home? To move to south padre would mean moving to the valley - pluh! They are from Rio Grande, but spread out as well. Guess Austin is the most like where I live now which for my liking is perfect for me. And at least it's somewhat scenic too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio