U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 10:19 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,337,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Why don't we all agree to state "7th largest city/28th largest metro" from now on? Would everyone be happy that way?
Agree. Cities have "limits," so you know when your entering/leaving it. On the other hand, metro areas are not well defined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 11:09 AM

483 posts, read 1,423,485 times
Actually metro areas are very clearly defined by the census bureau. SA's metro area ends at the county lines of Comal, Guadalupe, Wilson, Atascosa, Medina, Bandera, and Kendall counties. The population of those counties (plus Bexar county) makes up the SA metro area. Because all of those counties are still primarily rural, the greater SA area doesn't have significant population outside of the SA city limits. All of the other 10 largest cities in the US have significant (i.e., 3-4 million+ people) outside the limits of their primary cities.

If SA had the same ratio of metro size to primary city size, then the population of SA proper would probably be closer to 500-800k, in which case it would only be the 15th-20th largest US city.

I wish it was only that big, then so many people wouldn't come on this forum saying "for the 7th largest US city, SA sure doesn't have a lot of ______".

Old 06-02-2008, 11:01 PM

790 posts, read 3,613,557 times
News about TTC and a battle (not the war) won by toll road opponents.
Report calls for ousting transportation commission | Move It! | MySA.com (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/traffic/archives/2008/06/report_calls_fo.html - broken link)
Excerpt:
  • Sunset Advisory Commission report set to be released tomorrow will call for abolishing the five-member Texas Transportation Commission
  • The Sunset review of the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) occurred against a backdrop of distrust and frustration with the Department and the demand for more transparency, accountability, and responsiveness. Many expressed concerns that TxDOT was 'out of control,' advancing its own agenda against objections of both the Legislature and the public.
  • A commissioner answering to state lawmakers instead of the governor would put TxDOT closer to the public pulse. Not a defeat of toll plans, but a decisive battle won.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:26 PM

146 posts, read 466,161 times
Could someone tell me if I would have an option of traveling from Bulverde to Sonterra Blvd on 281 without any tolls when this toll project is comeplete? Some people on this thread mentioned the tolls will be optional. I'm just checking to see if the particular route I would take would have the toll free option. This is one factor that will help me decide to live in either Bulverde/Bulverde Hills or in SA closer to Sonterra Blvd. Thanks very much for any help.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
Could someone tell me if I would have an option of traveling from Bulverde to Sonterra Blvd on 281 without any tolls when this toll project is comeplete?
Yes.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 PM

656 posts, read 1,680,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
Could someone tell me if I would have an option of traveling from Bulverde to Sonterra Blvd on 281 without any tolls when this toll project is comeplete? Some people on this thread mentioned the tolls will be optional. I'm just checking to see if the particular route I would take would have the toll free option. This is one factor that will help me decide to live in either Bulverde/Bulverde Hills or in SA closer to Sonterra Blvd. Thanks very much for any help.
Yes the access/frontage roads will be free.... So you will still have to deal with the same stoplights you currently do when traveling 281 if you choose not to pay tolls.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:30 PM

443 posts, read 1,358,112 times
i thought the existing lanes will be converted to freeway (no traffic lights), then build new lanes that will be tolled, and build new access road (with traffic lights) ??

or simply put, the highway will have some tolled and free lanes, plus access road..

am i wrong?

Old 06-25-2008, 03:40 PM

^^^You're thinking of 1604. 281 will have at least one toll-free overpass (I want to say at Encino Rio, but don't quote me), so that will be one less traffic light to deal with.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:47 PM

656 posts, read 1,680,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
^^^You're thinking of 1604. 281 will have at least one toll-free overpass (I want to say at Encino Rio, but don't quote me), so that will be one less traffic light to deal with.
Looking at Texhwyman's pages it looks like only Redland Rd. will have a toll-free bypass. Encino does not look like it goes through, so not over pass needed. Lights at Evans, Marshall, Bulverde, and Borgfield.

Old 06-25-2008, 04:59 PM

Gotcha, I knew it was at least in that vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or