U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 PM

3,852 posts, read 3,580,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I shop both stores, each has products I like the other one doesn't.

Walmart often has lower prices on national brands and dry foods, and great prices on clearance items. I don't like their bakery, produce or meats though, and their seafood scares me! I dont know if there is a major difference keeping fish on ice or not, but it freaks me out just lying there in a bare tray.

I think HEB has better prices on most things. The "Meal Deals" can be a great value sometimes, if you use the items that come with them (or have extra coupons). HEB prices DO vary wildly by location, even a few miles apart.

OT: I was in Walmart recently when a HEB person was using a price scanner/recorder on items. I overheard a conversation between two WM employees, one said "You have to ask them to leave", the other "Why?", the first "Because they threw us out of there last week!" LOL!
I agree. I can't for the life of me find Oregon Chai at the HEBs near me but find it just fine at Walmart and medicine is cheaper at Walmart. I also prefer Walmart's generics to HEB's. I do like the meal deals, meats and seafoods at HEB better along with the bakery as well. Also, I find more variety of cheeses and such at HEB than Walmart.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM

608 posts, read 1,198,465 times
I don't think it's necessarily that cut and dry. HEB does have much more to choose from, and often they carry their store line that is cheaper. For example, I can get saltine crackers at HEB for .99, but at Wal Mart theirs is over $1.50. Soda is cheaper at HEB. Milk is cheaper at HEB...

Neither carries milk in glass bottles (unless I overlooked it). I agree with a PP, you should go to WHole Foods or Sun Harvest or Central Market.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,511,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miche111e View Post
Neither carries milk in glass bottles (unless I overlooked it).
Promised Land Dairy sells milk in glass bottles, available at HEB, WalMart, Target, etc.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 PM

there you have it! I did overlook it.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,045,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I agree. I can't for the life of me find Oregon Chai at the HEBs near me but find it just fine at Walmart and medicine is cheaper at Walmart. I also prefer Walmart's generics to HEB's. I do like the meal deals, meats and seafoods at HEB better along with the bakery as well. Also, I find more variety of cheeses and such at HEB than Walmart.
while I have not bought cheese for the house in nearly a year - give Sun Harvest and Whole Foods a shot sometime - wonderful selection and I found the staff very helpful when searching for crem fresh (sp?)

Both have their share of vegan cheeses as well.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:47 PM

And Central Market, I LOVE their cheese section!!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:38 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,540,114 times
The HEB Plus has a big selection of cheese, I compare meat prices at HEB to Walmart, and HEB is lower as well. I live closer to Walmart, and it's easier for me to shop there, but as far as for most generic prices, HEB is lower.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:36 PM

42,315 posts, read 46,085,939 times
I find for most things wal-mart is lower but HEB has some of their own branded items that are cheap and good qauilty.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:16 AM

60 posts, read 90,244 times
I would rather quality of food than price. That is a really important factor when it comes to food I buy.

Anywho, HEB always seems to have much better quality (fresh) groceries but not always the better prices.

I buy most stuff at Costco which seems to be the best of both worlds.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:53 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,004,930 times
I love HEB, switched from Walmart.

But I am not too fond of their deli meat or steaks, on 2 occaisions they have spoiled 1 day after purchased.

Also be sure to check your receipts after you checkout. I always get double charged for something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio