U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 PM

311 posts, read 746,628 times

Advertisements

Since you all were so fantastic & helpful with my medical ?? a few days ago, I wondered if you could help me with another ?? I have.
I'm looking at MONTHLY rates for Delta dental or the TRDP (tricare retiree dental plan) & I hope my eyes are deceiving me it appears the MONTHLY rate for a family of three or more is $105.78!!!
Please tell me that is wrong....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:20 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,212,414 times
I don't know about Delta, but dental through my husband's job went up to over $100 a month this year. We went with my job's dental, which is a DMO, but still relatively affordable at around $45 a month. We had to choose a primary care dentist, but the benefits are pretty good. $1200 a year for dental insurance is definitely not worth it, IMO, unless you have a kid that needs braces, or you need serious work.

Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 PM

311 posts, read 746,628 times
I agree. The dentist I went to in San Diego when I was single offered an "in house" type policy that was like $200 a year. NOW I understand why my Dad dropped dental & changed to my old dentist. I sure hope I can find another dentist we like that offers a plan like that because I just can't see paying that. ESPECIALLY if the coverage is as horrible as it has been with United Concordia (the company that covers active duty in the north east).

Old 05-18-2008, 08:56 PM

8,400 posts, read 20,159,872 times
Yes, the Delta Dental I have through work was cheaper than Tricare's dental program. It amazed me as well, but the numbers don't lie...

However, you can't beat Tricare Prime for health care!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-19-2008, 08:05 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,344,094 times
Tricare Dental is insanely high. I get my dental through my employer and it's still Delta, but I pay $60/month and it's pre-tax.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:56 AM

269 posts, read 669,274 times
another vote against tricare dental, dh's employer offers it as part of its bennies as well as an eye plan

Old 05-19-2008, 12:11 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,369,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Tricare Dental is insanely high. I get my dental through my employer and it's still Delta, but I pay $60/month and it's pre-tax.
My dental plan is through Blue Cross at work...$30 a month (same as last year).

Old 05-19-2008, 04:54 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,440,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I don't know about Delta, but dental through my husband's job went up to over $100 a month this year. We went with my job's dental, which is a DMO, but still relatively affordable at around $45 a month. We had to choose a primary care dentist, but the benefits are pretty good. $1200 a year for dental insurance is definitely not worth it, IMO, unless you have a kid that needs braces, or you need serious work.
We're on the active duty so we pay about $20-$25 a month right now. DH won't be retiring for a couple more years yet so I have nothing to add to dental insurance rates. I did look at dental insurance through work a couple years ago, but it was going to be quite costly too. I was looking at it from the aspect of my daughter in need of braces, but the most they would cover was $1000 during the process. Not worth the monthly premium.

Even if you have a child needing braces, the max Delta will pay for us is $1500. Yeah it's a good deal for us since we have such low monthly premiums. But I agree that $1200 a year for dental insurance is not worth it---even if you do have a child needing braces I wouldn't do it because most plans don't cover more than this. As far as other major dental work...I really can't say because "knock on wood" we're pretty fortunate not to need anything more than a couple cleanings each year.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:59 PM

14,627 posts, read 31,212,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hadleyzoo View Post
We're on the active duty so we pay about $20-$25 a month right now. DH won't be retiring for a couple more years yet so I have nothing to add to dental insurance rates. I did look at dental insurance through work a couple years ago, but it was going to be quite costly too. I was looking at it from the aspect of my daughter in need of braces, but the most they would cover was $1000 during the process. Not worth the monthly premium.

Even if you have a child needing braces, the max Delta will pay for us is $1500. Yeah it's a good deal for us since we have such low monthly premiums. But I agree that $1200 a year for dental insurance is not worth it---even if you do have a child needing braces I wouldn't do it because most plans don't cover more than this. As far as other major dental work...I really can't say because "knock on wood" we're pretty fortunate not to need anything more than a couple cleanings each year.
Yeah, I guess you're right! My kids haven't needed braces, and we've been lucky with them ever since they invented sealants! Those have been amazing! They're covered @ 100% and my oldest never had a cavity and my littlest one has only had one tiny one!

I just hate to recommend to anyone to go without insurance--it's a necessary evil unless you are disciplined enough to put money away every month for dental visits.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:04 PM

2,259 posts, read 8,806,255 times
We didn't choose Delta Dental, the company my husband works for, post-retirement, offered a better plan - $75/month for the family for the one you can pick who you want to go to, or $45 if you pick a dentist from their list.

We did choose to stay w/Tricare Prime for medical and have had good luck with that so far through their list of providers. Through my husband's company, health care was going to be $500/month for the family. Tricare Prime is ~ $500/year! We pay a $12 co-pay and the med are still the same = $3 for generic, $9 for brand name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or