U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 08:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,738,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
SA's DT looks like an outdated kitchen. SA should be shame to let little Austin DT show how progressive their city is.
Shame? That is completely illogical. Terry...this is really troubling you isn't it? What causes shame? Define it and see if it makes sense to you. This is way too much drama about your perception of what San Antonio appears to be to the rest of the world. Seriously....your perception does not mean everyone else sees it this way.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:46 PM

323 posts, read 743,530 times
Nice or ugly...I personally think it is fine. Is it the most impressive? No. Is it the most boring? No. Would a dense DT with many tall buildings be any better? Not necessarily. It all depends on how it is done. Quality vs quantity, which is more important? That is the question to be asked.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,362,158 times
Of course San Antonio isn't attracting major corporate headquarters. We are competing against the likes of Dallas, Houston, and Austin. All have better transportation (light-rail), more developed CBDs, and are wealthier.

The city bends over backwards to attract more low paying military jobs, but does little to attract or retain corporate headquarters. It will take major changes for San Antonio to be attractive to corporations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin9150 View Post
Quality vs quantity, which is more important? That is the question to be asked.
Quality of course. That said we don't have a very quality downtown. It includes very little residential components and very few of the cities major employers. It's numerous hotels, restaurants, and shops centered around the Riverwalk to cater to tourists.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
The city bends over backwards to attract more low paying military jobs....
Are you refering to active duty military, or military affiliated jobs? I only ask because not all military affiliated (gs/contract) jobs are low paying. Especially in specialized fields such as healthcare, which SA is on tap to get quite a few in the next couple of years.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:08 PM

3,542 posts, read 7,537,773 times
Quote:

The city bends over backwards to attract more low paying military jobs, but does little to attract or retain corporate headquarters.
Low-paying... wtf?
That comes across as insulting and demeaning. Sorry having a large military presence isn't good enough for you.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Quality of course. That said we don't have a very quality downtown. It includes very little residential components and very few of the cities major employers. It's numerous hotels, restaurants, and shops centered around the Riverwalk to cater to tourists.
This is true, and is an area that can definitely be improved.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:12 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,236,291 times
Quote:
Of course San Antonio isn't attracting major corporate headquarters. We are competing against the likes of Dallas, Houston, and Austin. All have better transportation (light-rail), more developed CBDs, and are wealthier.

The city bends over backwards to attract more low paying military jobs, but does little to attract or retain corporate headquarters. It will take major changes for San Antonio to be attractive to corporations.

Dallas and Houston yes but what major corporations has Austin landed recently?

Texas Metro by Fortune 500!

Houston has 26.

Dallas has 23.

San Antonio has 5.

Austin has 2.

El Paso has 1.

Where do you people get facts from?

Old 06-11-2009, 09:26 PM

2,027 posts, read 6,362,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Dallas and Houston yes but what major corporations has Austin landed recently?

Texas Metro by Fortune 500!

Houston has 26.

Dallas has 23.

San Antonio has 5.

Austin has 2.

El Paso has 1.

Where do you people get facts from?
I never claimed that Austin had more F500 companies. I just said they were more attractive to major corporations for the indentified reasons. Austin is wealthier, has a better developed CBD, and light-rail will be opening soon. SA loses out to the other major metros in the state hands down.

And let me correct your facts on F500 companies in the state:

SA has 6: Valero, Tesoro, USAA, Clear Channel, Kinetic Concepts and NuStar.

Austin has 4: Dell, Temple-Inland, Freescale, and Whole Foods.

Fortune 500 2009: States: Texas Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

That said a cities corporate profile isn't measured solely by F500 companies. Texas has more F500 companies than New York, but NY has many more corporate headquarters than us.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:30 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,236,291 times
Quote:
I never claimed that Austin had more F500 companies. I just said they were more attractive to major corporations for the indentified reasons. Austin is wealthier, has a better developed CBD, and light-rail will be opening soon. SA loses out to the other major metros in the state hands down.

And let me correct your facts on F500 companies in the state:

SA has 6: Valero, Tesoro, USAA, Clear Channel, Kinetic Concepts and NuStar.

Austin has 4: Dell, Temple-Inland, Freescale, and Whole Foods.

Fortune 500 2009: States: Texas Companies - FORTUNE on CNNMoney.com

That said a cities corporate profile isn't measured solely by F500 companies. Texas has more F500 companies than New York, but NY has many more corporate headquarters than us.
All I'm saying is that if they where more attractive they might have more MAJOR corporations than us!

IDK kill me with a fact or two! Sorry I used an outdated list but your list just confirmed my thought.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,738,177 times
Quote:
Of course San Antonio isn't attracting major corporate headquarters. We are competing against the likes of Dallas, Houston, and Austin. All have better transportation (light-rail),.......

You almost hit on it when you mentioned transportation....except you were meaning public transport in town.

The biggest cost to bringing any "industry" to SA is the logistics of shipping and commercial transportation of goods and supplies. San Antonio will most likely NEVER be a big industrial city because the cost of shipping, trucking, deliveries etc cannot allow businesses to be competitive in pricing. The best industry to bring to SA are IT based, Medical and others that do not rely on rail transport, trucking and shipping goods to and fro SA. Often times goods shipped IN SA have little to ship OUT so guess what happens. Trucks return empty which in turn costs the company DOUBLE ie RT delivery charges. This is a huge problem. Add to that the roller coaster fuel prices and it's a crap shoot to what it really costs the businesses locally.

So next time someone says we're not trendy, or fashionable, or up to date or shameful, blame it on the Canary Island settlers that decided SA would be a good place to call home. (of course I'm kidding as Bexar county historically was the HUB of activity for agri-business for almost two centuries). But the industrial revolution caught up with us....and we need to adapt to a business environment that will flourish in this demographic location. NOT just tourism....but technology based businesses that bring higher paying positions as well as the respect of the business world that SA has the cost of living advantage as well as high paying jobs. Keep in mind, as the income level rises, so will the COL and real estate prices. That will be a challenge for the lower paid workers who are fighting tooth and nail as it is to afford decent housing. There's always another side of the coin. NONE of which has a flip to do with the size of our skyscrapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or