U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 07:16 AM

175 posts, read 241,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Do you not understand that currently adjusted for COL, SA is a middle of the pack metro when it comes value of the dollar.

Just comparing COL is deceiving as is just comparing median income or per capita.

When you adjust median income or per capita income with COL that gives a fuller more broad picture.
What's your point? I'm talking about corporate business activity and the effect it has on increasing an areas median income. The increase in cost of living is a result of inflation, and historically, has been slower to actualize than increases in median income.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:03 AM

2,560 posts, read 5,270,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Sorry Lemon but that's just not true.

Here is the number of people employed in the financial sector by metro:

Dallas/Fort Worth - 230,000
Houston - 142,000
San Antonio - 66,000
Austin - 46,000

I've linked each city to their 2009 stat sheets from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

In addition, San Antonio’s employment numbers in finance and insurance top other major Texas cities including Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston and Austin.
News Release - Finance industry emerges

Old 06-14-2009, 09:19 AM

I was in Austin a few weeks ago and did see all the new residential towers, but downtown was not as bustling as San Antonio's. I will say it over and over, took pictures and will post them. For a saturday afternoon, downtown Austin had a pulse a little less than vibrant. The districts outside downtown seemed more lively, SOCO and around U.T. Austin is building more residnetial, so San Antonio will be left behind if it doesn't get River North and Hemisfair Park chugging along.

Last edited by SweethomeSanAntonio; 06-14-2009 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 AM

Downtown San Antonio is the hot spot for clubbing and nightlife for the Alamo city, I would say more locals hit the clubs on street level(Houston St, La Soya) than tourists do. The clubs on the Riverwalk is a mixtue of both.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,216,324 times
Some deleted comments above lead me to believe a reminder is needed about this section of the TOS.

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 AM

This is the area that has 25,000 residents. The Census, Brookings and University of Pennsylvania came up with this number.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:04 PM

824 posts, read 1,605,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L3XVS View Post
I don't think skyscrapers change the choices or living preferences of individuals who already reside in the city, for the most part. What they do accomplish, however, is increase the cities image and visibility outside the confines of that particular city.

I agree that there needs to be further development and gentrification of various areas downtown, however, a few tall buildings could also go a long way in the entirety of the revitalization.

Perhaps, in addtion to making corporate capitalism more attractive to big business, the city government could provide incentives to various small and mid-sized companies in exurban San Antonio to move downtown.

Yes, because, being the three largest metro areas in the country, LA, Chicago, and New York are the only cities with tall buildings dominating their central business districts.

You don't like those? How about Seattle, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Charlotte, and Minneapolis? These cities all have more developed downtowns than San Antonio, in addition to more density and taller buildings.

Yes, but I thought we were talking about the revitalization of San Antonio's downtown, not areas outside of downtown. For instance, Dallas has Uptown just north of its high density downtown, that's very popular, but yet, the city still maintains a strong central business district.

A number of European cities are predominated by strictly mid-rise/low-rise structures, whereas in the US, and to some extent Eastern Asia, many cities of larger population have much taller buildings.

Not exactly. None of those areas are located in those cities downtowns, but rather are neighborhoods within the city limits. I'm talking about downtown development, and all of those cities have more developed downtowns than San Antonio.

We're all entitled to our opinions.

Yes, but again, we're talking about downtowns, not neighborhoods within city limits. While I don't necessarily think skyscrapers by themselves would change the climate of downtown San Antonio, I think that if those skyscrapers were inhabited by various corporate businesses, certainly, the symbiotic dynamics of downtown San Antonio would change drastically.

The corporate activity would prove to be effective in the overall revitalization, bringing in more money, and increase the presence of restaurants, shops, and businesses that cater to the increased liveliness.

Downtown could be a mix of tourists, corporate suits, and mid-level workers.

I thought you couldn't care less what Austin is doing? In any case, Austin still has more skyscrapers (that happen to be residential), and is building more at an alarming rate. There's a grocery store in downtown Austin, and a number of mixed-use developments, low and mid-rise residential properties, restaurants, and nightlife all concentrated in a relatively small area.

Plus, there's vibrancy, something San Antonio's downtown is notoriously lacking.

The tract housing comment was in response to a poster who stated that San Antonio, through its annexation policies, has the ability to expand in all directions, endlessly. I made the statement that when one gets a post card from a notable city, it is not tract housing, but that cities landmarks or symbols of identity which is represented.

I won't disagree with the comment regarding density and that low to mid-rise buildings will contribute to downtown's density. However, what other "multiple transit options" are available in San Antonio other than the bus, or private vehicle?

Unlike Dallas, Houston, and now Austin, San Antonio does not have a lightrail system which serves its downtown.

Blah, blah, blah. The bottom line is that San Antonio continues to get left further and further behind in terms of development, skyscrapers notwithstanding.

Go to Austin, see all of the development and building that's going on in its downtown, and come back and tell me that San Antonio is not being surpassed.
First, we obviously don't agree on this issue. But it would be nice if the conversation could remain civil and constructive, instead of devolving into statements like "blah blah blah" and eye-rolling emoticons. We can disagree without being sarcastic and mean-spirited.

We just have a fundamental disagreement over the role that skyscrapers play in the development of city centers. I don't think they're a neccessary component for an attractive, livable downtown that's conducive to business. You obviously do (for reasons related to a perceived "prestige" to outsiders), and I'm not going to change your mind. A couple of quick things:

1. The CoSA works incredibly hard to attract businesses to SA, and has lots of incentives in place to convince development (of all types) downtown. But there is a limit to how much economic incentive CoSA can provide. It's more important to make the central city a livable neighborhood, because when that happens, companies will want to be there (instead of needing to be bribed out of the burbs).

2. Respectfully, I think your opinion about downtown SA is ill-informed. While tourism is currently the largest economic driver, and there are loads of tourists downtown (a good thing, by the way), there are plenty of San Antonians (myself included) who frequent downtown's restaurants, bars, and shops. It is, for the most part, a very walkable, human-scaled urban environment with real activity (tourism, commerce, recreation) most hours of the day.

3. I would encourage you to exercise some patience with regards to development in our central city. There are lots of really good things happening in Downtown, Pearl, Southtown, and River North, and, over time, they will make the central city a more vibrant, livable place. Of course, they won't be skyscrapers...

4. I'm very familiar with the development in downtown Austin. It's exciting, and will serve to make it a great place to live. But just because Austin has put up a handful of condo towers (most of which have been economic failures thus far, by the way) doesn't mean SA is getting "left behind". Austin has become a very desireable place to live because it offers a very high quality of life. But the condo towers that have popped up over the last few years are a result of that quality of life, not the cause of it.

I would guess that the one thing we can agree on is that we both want SA to have a more vibrant city center. And good things really are happening!

Old 06-14-2009, 03:37 PM

3,219 posts, read 8,005,645 times
Only having old skyscrapers gives off the impression that a city is stagnant and not growing.
From city vs city

Old 06-14-2009, 05:09 PM

322 posts, read 652,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
It is listed at 25,000 or so in the early part of this decade, so there may be a newer list. Do you have info on that 16th rank?
According to this report from Brookings Institute on downtown populations, the numbers from 2000 put San Antonio no where near number 6(pg 5).

In the same report, it classifies San Antonio as having a declining downtown. Their reasoning for this no doubt comes from the 3 decades of population decline and the lowly 8.9% of DT residents who hold a bachelor's degree(pg15-16). Im sure you SA lovers will dispute this.

Also something interesting about this report, it did not include Houston, TX because 81% of their downtown population is made up of prisoners. This was followed by Pittsburgh (34%), Cleveland (23%), Indianapolis (23%), San Antonio (22%), Charlotte(16%), and Milwaukee (12%) (endnotes 18).

Old 06-14-2009, 06:52 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,479,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlx View Post
According to this report from Brookings Institute on downtown populations, the numbers from 2000 put San Antonio no where near number 6(pg 5).

In the same report, it classifies San Antonio as having a declining downtown. Their reasoning for this no doubt comes from the 3 decades of population decline and the lowly 8.9% of DT residents who hold a bachelor's degree(pg15-16). Im sure you SA lovers will dispute this.
If the boundary's posted by Paul a couple of posts back are true, then your answer on why they deem SA as having a declining downtown is because A) there definition of downtown isn't downtown and B) their boundaries for this "fictitious" downtown include some very very poor neighbors on the near east and near west sides not to mention in 2000, the Victoria Courts were still in place. That alone would have been enough to warrant a "declining downtown" label. Alas, the Victoria Courts are no longer and in its place is a fantastic dense community of new town homes and apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or