U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
385 posts, read 548,416 times
Reputation: 187

Advertisements

I personally don't like our Downtown skyline that much.
Why can't we have one metallic skyscraper?
Why must they all be rustic?

 
Old 05-18-2008, 08:37 PM
 
Location: Universal City, Texas
3,109 posts, read 8,716,415 times
Reputation: 1785
Because we are an historical city that takes pride in its past. Builders blend. Other cities are plastic, we are rich in history and it is reflected in our architecture.
 
Old 05-18-2008, 08:47 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
385 posts, read 548,416 times
Reputation: 187
While I respect our rich history, why can't we blend that with a more modern skyline?
 
Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 PM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,379,710 times
Reputation: 1785
I like the SA Skyline. It's unique to SA. Doesn't look like Houston or Dallas or even Chicago (which I like). It looks like SA, and that's not a bad thing. I'm not opposed to modern buildings, I just don't think the typical skyscrapers are required.
 
Old 05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
5,615 posts, read 12,829,797 times
Reputation: 2534
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
I personally don't like our Downtown skyline that much.
Why can't we have one metallic skyscraper?
Why must they all be rustic?
I agree completely... the buildings I noticed weren't 'rustic.' They had a very 1970s or 80s beige and off white theme going. The age isn't so bad, but combined with the overly conservative architecture it doesn't exactly impress.

And there'll probably be 20 people after me that think my and the original poster's opinions are stupid and then another 20 that like it. It's all a matter of opinion.

Last edited by scuba steve; 05-18-2008 at 09:24 PM..
 
Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 PM
 
2,027 posts, read 6,362,500 times
Reputation: 630
IMO it is one of the ugliest skylines in the world. It looks so outdated and boring. I have seen a few nightime pics that look nice though (from Inspiration Point). The city is great, amazing even, but the skyline is very dissapointing. At least most other Texas cities have nice skylines.

Older more conservative people tend to like it... younger more liberal people tend to dislike it.
 
Old 05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
 
2,027 posts, read 6,362,500 times
Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I like the SA Skyline. It's unique to SA. Doesn't look like Houston or Dallas or even Chicago (which I like). It looks like SA, and that's not a bad thing. I'm not opposed to modern buildings, I just don't think the typical skyscrapers are required.
Every skyline is unique (Houston, Chicago, etc.). It gives outsiders an impression of the city. That could be the reason a lot of people have a bad impression of San Antonio.
 
Old 05-18-2008, 10:21 PM
 
824 posts, read 1,605,438 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
While I respect our rich history, why can't we blend that with a more modern skyline?
boywithstick:

The sort of buildings you want are, in fact, quite destructive to good urbanism. They look good on a postcard, or from 15 miles away, but are terrible for the fabric of great urban places.

What you want would produce buildings that (a) fail to connect with their surrounding civic fabric, (b) are incompatible with human scales, and (c) are made from manufactured materials that don't age paticularly well (as opposed to brick, stone, etc.).

We have some of the finest architecture in Texas (most built before WWII), and that's a big part of the reason for the strength of the tourism industry in SA. Of course, the next time you feel lonesome for "metallic" buildings, we also have plenty of the nasty, "modern" steel & glass skyscrapers that you want (Riverview Towers, Weston Center, Frost Bank Building, AT&T building on Broadway/Hildebrand).
 
Old 05-18-2008, 10:25 PM
 
2,027 posts, read 6,362,500 times
Reputation: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
boywithstick:

The sort of buildings you want are, in fact, quite destructive to good urbanism. They look good on a postcard, or from 15 miles away, but are terrible for the fabric of great urban places.

What you want would produce buildings that (a) fail to connect with their surrounding civic fabric, (b) are incompatible with human scales, and (c) are made from manufactured materials that don't age paticularly well (as opposed to brick, stone, etc.).

We have some of the finest architecture in Texas (most built before WWII), and that's a big part of the reason for the strength of the tourism industry in SA. Of course, the next time you feel lonesome for "metallic" buildings, we also have plenty of the nasty, "modern" steel & glass skyscrapers that you want (Riverview Towers, Weston Center, Frost Bank Building, AT&T building on Broadway/Hildebrand).
You have no clue what you are talking about. Are you aware of the term green skyscraper? If anything the skyscrapers built today are 100 times better for the enviroment than those built 20 years ago. Not to mention that skyscrapers are much better for the enviroment than urban sprawl.
 
Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
2,887 posts, read 4,349,859 times
Reputation: 1610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
IMO it is one of the ugliest skylines in the world. It looks so outdated and boring. I have seen a few nightime pics that look nice though (from Inspiration Point). The city is great, amazing even, but the skyline is very dissapointing. At least most other Texas cities have nice skylines.

Older more conservative people tend to like it... younger more liberal people tend to dislike it.
At 38 and a self-professed Independant , I guess I fall in the middle of those groups. So it only seems right that I am torn on this subject. I think our skyline is alright, but I too would like to see a more modern and contemporary skyline. I travel a lot, so I get to spend a lot of time in other downtown areas, and I love the feel of being in a downtown New York, LA or even DC. But I also love history and feel that San Antonio doesn't do enough to protect some of the great old buildings that we have in downtown or other areas. There is one building being renovated (essentially torn down then built over) next to the downtown Holiday Inn and Riverwalk. I remember seeing and old Iron Cage elevator car sitting among the debris from the renovation and I wondered "what is the history of this place?" Whatever they are building the could have tried to preserve a little of the original location's history.

I think the best model for San Antonio is San Francisco. They do great job of mixing some of the most modern and sophistiaced buildings with historically preserved buildings downtown serving multiple functions. Just take a walk down Powell street all the way to Market street and you will see what I mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top