U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:09 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times

Advertisements

Primo does not mince his words and speaks his mind. Great respect from me for that.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:15 AM

163 posts, read 499,210 times
Birds of a feather...

Old 05-20-2008, 10:34 AM

422 posts, read 1,330,457 times
Living in this city as long as I have, I've seen my fair share of families living on Section 8. I've hung with the kids growing up. I've had freinds on it, and in-laws on it. And in pretty much all cases, the government assistance was abused. Kids roam the streets with no parental supervision doing what ever they want in school. Parents didn't inquire about school work or assist. It's a cycle. It becomes a way of life. These are the same folks that pass their kids SS #s around to get the max earned income credit. These are the folks that used to collect food stamps, sell it for half the price, and go buy god knows what.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying all people abuse the assistance. I'm sure there are a lot of legit cases. But when you see people quiting thier jobs and having babies so they can get on the housing waiting list, that's pretty f'd up.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
Living in this city as long as I have, I've seen my fair share of families living on Section 8. I've hung with the kids growing up. I've had freinds on it, and in-laws on it. And in pretty much all cases, the government assistance was abused. Kids roam the streets with no parental supervision doing what ever they want in school. Parents didn't inquire about school work or assist. It's a cycle. It becomes a way of life. These are the same folks that pass their kids SS #s around to get the max earned income credit. These are the folks that used to collect food stamps, sell it for half the price, and go buy god knows what.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying all people abuse the assistance. I'm sure there are a lot of legit cases. But when you see people quiting thier jobs and having babies so they can get on the housing waiting list, that's pretty f'd up.
Sounds like the problem lies with the government having a broken system and not fixing it...

Dear City-Data Forums,

What's with these Section 8 hooligans infesting our city? Nothing angers me more than system-abusing leeches that don't contribute their fair share. They are a bane to society.

Signed,
Wealthy Individuals That Abuse The Tax System

Old 05-20-2008, 11:02 AM

422 posts, read 1,330,457 times
You know we have to vent somewhere. We're not scapegoating, we're just stereotyping.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
You know we have to vent somewhere. We're not scapegoating, we're just stereotyping.
Nothing's better than some good old-fashioned stereotyping, eh?

I know it's frustrating to work so hard to make a living, only to see others cheat the system to get ahead. I can understand that.

I remember studying my butt off in school for finals while my roommate's friends snuck into the professor's office to steal the test. I also remember getting my $200 tax return while my other roommate claimed his mother's friend's children as his own for the earned income credit.

In the end, one was flunked and the other was audited. While slow, life has a way of balancing everything out.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:10 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,802,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmammoo View Post
Sounds like the problem lies with the government having a broken system and not fixing it...

Dear City-Data Forums,

What's with these Section 8 hooligans infesting our city? Nothing angers me more than system-abusing leeches that don't contribute their fair share. They are a bane to society.

Signed,
So it's ok for some people to stereotype but not others? Second time I'm calling you out on it.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
So it's ok for some people to stereotype but not others? Second time I'm calling you out on it.
The word 'That' means I'm speaking of only the individuals that, in fact, do abuse the system. I didn't generalize all wealthy people. A good example of stereotyping would be me saying "99% of all wealthy people are thieves".

You didn't really call me out a first time.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 PM

2,397 posts, read 5,846,173 times
Quote:

Dear City-Data Forums,

Signed,
It's not just the wealthy who are complaining, so why presume that this is the case here? I am angered by the system-abusing leeches who don't contribute their fair share and I do think they are a bane on society. I, however, am NOT wealthy and have never abused the tax system. Now what?

Old 05-20-2008, 12:47 PM

5,615 posts, read 12,802,153 times
Quote:
The word 'That' means I'm speaking of only the individuals that, in fact, do abuse the system. I didn't generalize all wealthy people. A good example of stereotyping would be me saying "99% of all wealthy people are thieves".

You didn't really call me out a first time.
R->C->P

First time - I called you out about race. You implied that they were pointing the finger at minorities, when in fact you brought it up.

Second time - the dig at "wealthy people that abuse the tax system," as in that's what you're calling some people that post here.

People rich and otherwise are complaining. Some have brought personal experience from being on and off section 8, someone else mentioned calls to the police. All you do is characterize "suburbanites" and try to stir up emotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio