Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
All of the talk on communities going to hell and who's to blame notwithstanding, I really like the idea of requiring those people on section 8 who have dependents to maintain a certain GPA or face losing their benefits. It is such a great idea in fact, because it kills two birds with one stone by relieving some burden from teachers who are sometimes tasked with the parents' job but lack the ability to because of bureaucracy. After all, why should they... it's not their job.

As well, the point on doing the same to adults who are repeat offenders (i.e. more than one felony) is excellent. If the same effort were put into making this initiative succeed as what's put into collecting our property tax... well I can only imagine. I think Darwinism would certainly weed out the baddies, and the good folks who require temporary assistance (nothing wrong with that!) could keep on keeping on in homogeneous neighborhoods. Everybody wins!

But I'm sure when the vote passed the council somebody would cry foul because it's discriminatory to deadbeat, good-for-nothing people. Oh, the irony...
While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why is it the child's responsibility to keep the family housed? I think that's asking a bit much of a kid--yes, they need to get good grades, but that's quite the burden for any kid, don't you think? If you don't pass, we're on the street? Ouch. I see all sorts of problems with that.

On the other hand, yes, making the adults accountable, I have no problem with, at all.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:04 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,454,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but why is it the child's responsibility to keep the family housed? I think that's asking a bit much of a kid--yes, they need to get good grades, but that's quite the burden for any kid, don't you think? If you don't pass, we're on the street? Ouch. I see all sorts of problems with that.

On the other hand, yes, making the adults accountable, I have no problem with, at all.
Good point! I still opt for any household applying for Section 8 having to go through a background check and automatically denying any with criminal histories from qualifying. Not that this will weed out everyone, since some will fall through the cracks and others will move boyfriends, family members etc. who have or had criminal issues into the home afterward. However, it may take care of some of the problem.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:13 PM

45 posts, read 174,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
I love how you read the post.

Three of us have lived their and experienced it. Others have been down and out and who knows what happened or where they came from. Don't cry prejudice just because people draw a different conclusion that yours.

Well I supposed I shouldn't have cried prejudice, guess I just let a few words get to me, but anyway i'm confused to how people think that section 8 is the main cause of these problems?? I think if you get rid of section 8 then instead of these "criminals, baggy clothes wearing, thugs, and gangsters" living next door to you they will be living practically on the street with no government assistance you can bet your chances of becoming a target for crime will increase.......there's too many people in the world and they have to live somewhere....every child born will not be an angel

Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar2 View Post
Well I supposed I shouldn't have cried prejudice, guess I just let a few words get to me, but anyway i'm confused to how people think that section 8 is the main cause of these problems?? I think if you get rid of section 8 then instead of these "criminals, baggy clothes wearing, thugs, and gangsters" living next door to you they will be living practically on the street with no government assistance you can bet your chances of becoming a target for crime will increase.......there's too many people in the world and they have to live somewhere....every child born will not be an angel
Indeed it is a problem that has plagued the state heck the whole country. It needs outside of the box thinking. But people don't know why they decided the scatter section 8 all across the city. It affects a lot of things including crime and property values.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Who's prejudiced? Sheesh! As for your comment about moving or getting a higher paying job to afford to move, that's just absolutely ludicrous. Why should those paying their own way have to "get a higher paying job" just to accommodate those who are too lazy to work? There are those who do need the assistance, but there seem to be so many more who are just milking the system.

I agree with that but at the same time just because you work your butt off doesn't mean your gonna live the lavish crime free life... I just don't like the fact that people are making an generalization about a specific group.....I think the crime problem lies more than just people on section 8

Old 05-20-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I was in my house that I bought with the money my wife and I make from our jobs before the section 8 garbage was put up, so feel free to not ask me to move from my own freaking house..
is obama posting in this section today or what? quite a few people have been drawing information from posts that is an ASSumption at best. Please try to actually read what people wrote before you spout off your ASSumptions and stereotypes. that's so annoying..

and numbers are not words and the contraction of you+are is you're.. geesh, been to school lately?
wow your a funny dude...what does Obama have to do with this????? and yes I used the word "your" instead of "you're" sorry I didn't know I was in English class.....since we are in English class what does GEESH mean????????????????????

Old 05-20-2008, 04:34 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,760,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that any child w/o a dysfunction or otherwise impaired maintain a say... a C average, or the *** is up for the parents. Perhaps if this is not suitable to a number of parents, then maybe a system pertinent to truancy and/or how well the child behaves; not what grade they make.

Still, I'm more inclined to think even the former is a better solution than what is happening now and the utilitarian side of me says, "So what if a couple of couple of good ones fall threw the cracks... they already do anyway".

Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
Quote:
I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that any child w/o a dysfunction or otherwise impaired maintain a say... a C average, or the *** is up for the parents. Perhaps if this is not suitable to a number of parents, then maybe a system pertinent to truancy and/or how well the child behaves; not what grade they make.
I just don't agree with making it the child's responsibility--chances are, the child is probably already doing enough parenting.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Thats very sad to put that type of pressure on a child, I can't believe some of the things I'm reading

Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,999,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar2 View Post
Thats very sad to put that type of pressure on a child, I can't believe some of the things I'm reading
But it is also sad for a child to have to grow up with a crappy parent. (in or out of low income housing)

Btw this may sound harsh but what ever happened to being able to identify the "projects.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio