Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Seriously! "Thugs"? "Gangsters"? "Criminals"? "Scum"? "Animals"? "99%" of them?

Show me some figures on how many people participating in Section 8 commit crimes. And I'm not talking about insignificant anecdotes or seeing teenagers with baggy clothes slowly crossing the street.

This thread is easily the most prejudiced thing I have ever seen on this site. It's actually pretty shocking. I hope that none of you ever run into bad financial luck and have to depend upon the rest of San Antonio (or America) for good will.
Not sure you have expirence living their do you. I lived at a section 8 place on Babcock and De Zavala. We sqeeked in, me being a student and my roomate working at HEB. What a nightmare. There were kids everywhere. They never had adults watching them. We used to laught because they were gated that the fence was to keep the residents in. The cops were always there. Not an understament. The management looked down upon the residents. (most for good reason as sad at that may be) They had to install camerars because the residents would ram the gates.

Well im out of the section 8 hell hole and can't believe I even tried to save money that way.

MOST IMPORANT. It was a 2/2 with wood floors and brand new the price was 685. Know my 2/2 is on the same scale of luxury and it is well over 1000.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:41 PM

163 posts, read 546,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I think most people have done their time at the bottom of the barrel and I know I've been there and done that. Most of us take it as a lesson and do strive to succeed and never go back. Then there are the professionals that enjoy wallowing in the mud..

and the section 8 housing that opened in front of Westcreek was the problem. You don't need numbers or stats because there was NOTHING else in the area that changed.. We used to be out on the edge of everything and the place was very serene. Then those townhouses were built and suddenly everything changed.
I'd say the ignorance belongs to a person that can't do simple math...
I still have yet to see any numbers so I'm unsure where math comes into play, but I get your point.

I really wish the government was more proactive in fixing the system so those that truly need it get help.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigmammoo View Post
I think Primo is right in saying that you must not only earn, but maintain the privilege to live in a better neighborhood. I respect that viewpoint and it sounds more than fair.

Seeing a rise in break-ins and rapes and automatically blaming the minority IS ignorant, but I guess everyone needs a scapegoat to sleep at night.
Who said anything about the color of section 8 people?

Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 PM

45 posts, read 175,032 times
wow all you people making negative comments about section 8 must be prejudice or just born and raised in a problem free world (which I doubt ). for 1 just because your on section 8 doesn't mean your a criminal or some sort of monster, and far as history tells me there has been crime in the U.S. way before section 8 was created......in short If you don't like section 8 don't bash people who are on it ( my mother is currently on it)......and If you don't like where you live or the people around you then either move or if you cant afford to move get a higher paying job and buy you a piece of land out in nowheresvilles, that way you can't complain about who lives next door......

Old 05-19-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar2 View Post
wow all you people making negative comments about section 8 must be prejudice or just born and raised in a problem free world (which I doubt ). for 1 just because your on section 8 doesn't mean your a criminal or some sort of monster, and far as history tells me there has been crime in the U.S. way before section 8 was created......in short If you don't like section 8 don't bash people who are on it ( my mother is currently on it)......and If you don't like where you live or the people around you then either move or if you cant afford to move get a higher paying job and buy you a piece of land out in nowheresvilles, that way you can't complain about who lives next door......
I love how you read the post.

Three of us have lived their and experienced it. Others have been down and out and who knows what happened or where they came from. Don't cry prejudice just because people draw a different conclusion that yours.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:08 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,455,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstar2 View Post
Who's prejudiced? Sheesh! As for your comment about moving or getting a higher paying job to afford to move, that's just absolutely ludicrous. Why should those paying their own way have to "get a higher paying job" just to accommodate those who are too lazy to work? There are those who do need the assistance, but there seem to be so many more who are just milking the system.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:27 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
I was in my house that I bought with the money my wife and I make from our jobs before the section 8 garbage was put up, so feel free to not ask me to move from my own freaking house..
is obama posting in this section today or what? quite a few people have been drawing information from posts that is an ASSumption at best. Please try to actually read what people wrote before you spout off your ASSumptions and stereotypes. that's so annoying..

and numbers are not words and the contraction of you+are is you're.. geesh, been to school lately?

Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 PM

580 posts, read 1,429,603 times
Oh my!

People totally have the right to have any opinion they want about public assistance, with regard to housing or anything else. The point is not to use such demeaning terms and generalizations when describing certain groups. Do you realize that there are probably section 8 people who post on this site? How do you think that they feel when you describe 99% of them as scums, gangsters, thugs, criminals, animals, etc.? What would you do if I told you that I was on section 8?

I am not an expert on section 8, but I do have section 8 people living on my block, and I haven't had a problem. I ran a cursory google search on section 8 and crime. On the first page or two, there were plenty of posts about residents complaining about increased crime with section 8. There were also more academic papers about its actual effect. One included data that showed that "scattered" assisted living--which is what section 8 is supposed to provide--not only has no correlation with increased crime, but is sometimes associated with a DECREASE in crime. (I think the study area was somewhere in Kentucky.) Another asserted that 80% of the calls to police in a certain area (Georgia? I forget) concerning alleged crimes by section 8 residents were actually in response to infractions perpetrated by regular ol' tenants, who were paying all of their rent, like everyone else.

The evidence seems to point both ways, or at least to be complicated. The point is not to call people "animals" and "scum," especially when you have no idea whether or not the majority of them are committing any crimes at all.

Rather than lay blame with the people on assisted living, why not get angry with the officials who are supposed to do regular inspections and background checks on the people who participate in the system, as well as the residences and landlords who work with them?

Hey, I'm a property owner, too, but there's no excuse for prejudice of any kind, whether it be response to class, ethnicity, race, family-type or -size, or anything else. San Antonio is better than that!

Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Oh my!

People totally have the right to have any opinion they want about public assistance, with regard to housing or anything else. The point is not to use such demeaning terms and generalizations when describing certain groups. Do you realize that there are probably section 8 people who post on this site? How do you think that they feel when you describe 99% of them as scums, gangsters, thugs, criminals, animals, etc.? What would you do if I told you that I was on section 8?

I am not an expert on section 8, but I do have section 8 people living on my block, and I haven't had a problem. I ran a cursory google search on section 8 and crime. On the first page or two, there were plenty of posts about residents complaining about increased crime with section 8. There were also more academic papers about its actual effect. One included data that showed that "scattered" assisted living--which is what section 8 is supposed to provide--not only has no correlation with increased crime, but is sometimes associated with a DECREASE in crime. (I think the study area was somewhere in Kentucky.) Another asserted that 80% of the calls to police in a certain area (Georgia? I forget) concerning alleged crimes by section 8 residents were actually in response to infractions perpetrated by regular ol' tenants, who were paying all of their rent, like everyone else.

The evidence seems to point both ways, or at least to be complicated. The point is not to call people "animals" and "scum," especially when you have no idea whether or not the majority of them are committing any crimes at all.

Rather than lay blame with the people on assisted living, why not get angry with the officials who are supposed to do regular inspections and background checks on the people who participate in the system, as well as the residences and landlords who work with them?

Hey, I'm a property owner, too, but there's no excuse for prejudice of any kind, whether it be response to class, ethnicity, race, family-type or -size, or anything else. San Antonio is better than that!
You must have missed it when I said I was. Though I am a college kid with a good paying job. But none the less I had a roommate that was not in school and we made it in their.

Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 AM

126 posts, read 425,167 times
This has gone way off the OP's topic...

We have seen what happens to suburban areas over time. Look at Fredericksburg road and San Pedro Ave area just inside loop 410. These were nice areas, equivalent to Stone Oak and Alamo Ranch in their day. What will happen in 20 years to the strip malls and apartment houses being built around loop 1604? Most cities around the country are experiencing a contraction, with people returning to the city center. This is just starting in SA (8-15 years behind everyone else as usual) but what if it continues? How do you redevelop a subdivision of KB homes in 30 years?

Last edited by BigDogsTX; 05-20-2008 at 12:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio