U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 10:13 AM

77 posts, read 228,844 times

Advertisements

I grew up here and am getting a little tired of how high we are ranked at the top of the fat list. WHO does these statistics and WHERE and How are the tabulated?!

Last edited by lonegun; 05-19-2008 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:36 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,330,999 times
Of course we're a fat city... Have you looked around lately? It's ridiculous, especially considering that we have such temperate weather most of the year. No excuse not to get outside and get some fresh air.

We also have an insane rate of diabetes because of SA's weight problem. Again, an instance where preventative medicine should come before treating an already-existing issue.

BN

Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 AM

77 posts, read 228,844 times
Thanks ben! STATISTIC wise I mean how can they document EVERY CITY , seems vauge.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 AM

260 posts, read 1,032,026 times
Well, I know that *I* am. We've started exercising quite a bit... just finished the Couch To 5K program, and are still running three times a week. But the awesome food we have here in SA makes losing some weight a real challenge. We should definitely spin the "good food" angle instead of the "poor health" side of the story.

In all seriousness, one of my main reasons for wanting to lose weight is watching someone struggling with adult onset diabetes. You *don't* want to have to deal with that.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:52 AM

422 posts, read 1,330,087 times
This is a snippet from an old article on USATODAY.com

In its nonscientific Seventh Annual Fattest and Fittest Cities Report, the magazine compares 50 cities by weighing 14 factors, including fast food restaurants per capita, TV watching, air quality, and parks. In Seattle, for example, sporting goods stores and gyms outnumber fast food joints a key statistic.

USATODAY.com - Magazine names Seattle as fittest city, Houston as fattest

I doubt there's a BMI chart with everybody on it. So if we want to get off of this list, we just need to build more parks and gyms. But most of San Antonio can't afford gym memberships. What gives. Ahhh f*ck it, i'm going to McDonalds!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:54 AM

163 posts, read 499,091 times
I would say yes, even though their standards for what is "obese" are a little strict. I think the general mentality of the city (laid-back and older) contributes heavily to that.

San Antonio - Curvaceous Latina Capital of Texas

Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 AM

3,455 posts, read 7,282,585 times
Im hoping to lose a couple of pounds when I move to SA! I can't imagine not losing weight in the heat!! I always lose weight in the summer in Chicago and always gain weight in the winter... I just can't imagine being very comfortable in the heat if I have too much extra weight!

I am usually not so hungry when it is warm outside.....fingers crossed...

Old 05-19-2008, 11:04 AM

422 posts, read 1,330,087 times
Don't worry, everyone on Section 8 will receive a subsidized Nintendo Wii with Wii Fit. It has been proven that while sitting in their subsidized homes, watching their TVs bought with their stimulus checks and eating their subsidized food, they have created an obesity issue. Problem solved.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,794,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
This is a snippet from an old article on USATODAY.com

In its nonscientific Seventh Annual Fattest and Fittest Cities Report, the magazine compares 50 cities by weighing 14 factors, including fast food restaurants per capita, TV watching, air quality, and parks. In Seattle, for example, sporting goods stores and gyms outnumber fast food joints — a key statistic.

USATODAY.com - Magazine names Seattle as fittest city, Houston as fattest

I doubt there's a BMI chart with everybody on it. So if we want to get off of this list, we just need to build more parks and gyms. But most of San Antonio can't afford gym memberships. What gives. Ahhh f*ck it, i'm going to McDonalds!
Maybe to help explain it since this city was mentioned... We've also got parks all over the place, and old rail lines converted to bike / jogging trails that you can even use to commute with. Not to say that there aren't overweight people around (try running around in the 7 months of cold).

Also, a lot of the city is built in a way that's friendly to people walking somewhere... local coffee shop or deli, or to a neighborhood park. Housing areas connect with one another instead of all feeding out to a bigger road that nobody would want to walk near.

Edit: I did notice the size difference. Especially when I had to go to a HEB to replace stuff in my bag that was lost for a few days. Some people blocked the aisle to the point that I couldn't get around.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:14 AM

163 posts, read 499,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
Don't worry, everyone on Section 8 will receive a subsidized Nintendo Wii with Wii Fit. It has been proven that while sitting in their subsidized homes, watching their TVs bought with their stimulus checks and eating their subsidized food, they have created an obesity issue. Problem solved.
They bought spinners with their stimulus checks...not TVs.

Get with the program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or